Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
May 31, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #2,686 of 3,154

​I'll try the 6HM5 next.

The 6hm5 is best in my books. They are DIRT CHEAP too.

But I like the Voshkhods also. You have to find THE RIGHT VOSHKHODS. At first I shipped 4 tubes but they all sucked. The current 2 that I'm having, they belong to the league of Mullards and 6hm5.

May 31, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #2,687 of 3,154
1, ebay. There're plenty of dealers with high ratings.
2, no you won't. Just pay attention to the direction you're putting the opamp.

If you will be using the 8820 Op-amp, you don't need any adapters!
Just pay attention to the orientation of the Op-amp (there is a notch on one end of the Op-amp for identification!)

Thanks sir !

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,688 of 3,154
So my LD1+ just came in the mail today. Dumb question but inserting the tubes, there was some resistance. I had to sort of wiggle them in there. Just wondering if that's proper?

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #2,690 of 3,154
  So my LD1+ just came in the mail today. Dumb question but inserting the tubes, there was some resistance. I had to sort of wiggle them in there. Just wondering if that's proper?

LD just produce the amp, not the tubes that come with it. Some tubes might fit well, some tubes don't. It's perfectly normal.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,693 of 3,154
Anyone know how the Little Dot 1+ compares to the vali 2 when paired with grados? Not sure which amp I should spring for

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,694 of 3,154
How much burn in time on average for the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV? I'm been using the stock 6JI tubes it came with for a few days now and I love the sound they're putting out. I wasn't even aware burn in was a thing but looking back, I did hear significant static noise often during listening which appears to be eliminated now. Probably have at least 30 hours of burn-in at this point and they sound fantastic. Now I just received the Voshkod tubes today and put em in expecting them to instantly outperform the tubes they're replacing but that is not the case. They actually sound significantly worse. To my amateur and uneducated audio ears they sound more "full" but at the expense of less dynamic range- it's like when you enable volume normalization. The lows and highs just have significantly less impact and are almost non-existent. I'm wondering if this is normal and i can expect these things to open up as time goes by? 

I'm running Windows 10>modi 2(via usb)>LD1+>Grado SR80e. I never changed anything internally (jumpers/switches and what not) on the inside except the gain setting from high to low. I read the 6zh1p are of the same family as the stock tubes so not changes necessary. Also bought the tubes from Yen Audio store on Ebay if that matters. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,695 of 3,154
Anyone know how the Little Dot 1+ compares to the vali 2 when paired with grados? Not sure which amp I should spring for
As one of those "grado fanboys" I'd say you should go for the LD. The vali I tried didn't sound tubey, in fact I heard Schiit didn't even want the tube sound. Anyway I rolled in one of my Reflektors (can't remember the name) and didn't like it.
On the other hand I have kept the LD for more than 2 years. That says a lot for some one who changes headphones roughly every 3 months. It pairs very nicely with my Grado and with my current opamp&tubes, can even make the 325e sounds spacious. I even sold my o2 to keep the LD.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,696 of 3,154
As one of those "grado fanboys" I'd say you should go for the LD. The vali I tried didn't sound tubey, in fact I heard Schiit didn't even want the tube sound. Anyway I rolled in one of my Reflektors (can't remember the name) and didn't like it.
On the other hand I have kept the LD for more than 2 years. That says a lot for some one who changes headphones roughly every 3 months. It pairs very nicely with my Grado and with my current opamp&tubes, can even make the 325e sounds spacious. I even sold my o2 to keep the LD.

But now was that the Vali 1 or 2?

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,698 of 3,154
  How much burn in time on average for the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV? I'm been using the stock 6JI tubes it came with for a few days now and I love the sound they're putting out. I wasn't even aware burn in was a thing but looking back, I did hear significant static noise often during listening which appears to be eliminated now. Probably have at least 30 hours of burn-in at this point and they sound fantastic. Now I just received the Voshkod tubes today and put em in expecting them to instantly outperform the tubes they're replacing but that is not the case. They actually sound significantly worse. To my amateur and uneducated audio ears they sound more "full" but at the expense of less dynamic range- it's like when you enable volume normalization. The lows and highs just have significantly less impact and are almost non-existent. I'm wondering if this is normal and i can expect these things to open up as time goes by? 

I'm running Windows 10>modi 2(via usb)>LD1+>Grado SR80e. I never changed anything internally (jumpers/switches and what not) on the inside except the gain setting from high to low. I read the 6zh1p are of the same family as the stock tubes so not changes necessary. Also bought the tubes from Yen Audio store on Ebay if that matters. 

I say give them some time to burn in, then see how they sound. I remember a few people on this thread who preferred  the 6JI tubes sound, you might be one. I love these Mullard EF92/CV4015 tubes I got for my Mk III, but you might hate them, everyone's ears work differently.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,699 of 3,154
How much burn in time on average for the [COLOR=333333]Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV? [/COLOR]I'm been using the stock 6JI tubes it came with for a few days now and I love the sound they're putting out. I wasn't even aware burn in was a thing but looking back, I did hear significant static noise often during listening which appears to be eliminated now. Probably have at least 30 hours of burn-in at this point and they sound fantastic. Now I just received the Voshkod tubes today and put em in expecting them to instantly outperform the tubes they're replacing but that is not the case. They actually sound significantly worse. To my amateur and uneducated audio ears they sound more "full" but at the expense of less dynamic range- it's like when you enable volume normalization. The lows and highs just have significantly less impact and are almost non-existent. I'm wondering if this is normal and i can expect these things to open up as time goes by? 

Can you give a pic of the 6zh1p?

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,700 of 3,154
Does anyone know what the name/size of the screws used to secure the chassis is? Mine is missing a couple and I'd really like to find new ones, thanks.

Sorry to dig this back up from a couple months ago, but I was reading the thread and noticed you were looking for screws. I ordered these and they fit perfect. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-Flat-Head-Screw-M3x6mm-10-Pcs-HPIZ525-/371639343423?hash=item56876e593f:g:al0AAOSwkEVXGGzv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back