Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
May 30, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,671 of 3,154
Not saying the C3G's don't sound nice, they do, but they cost a lot and I get just as much enjoyment from tubes that were one tenth the price.
Actually, I don't think I have tried them on the 1+ yet, got something to do now, lol.

May 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,672 of 3,154
I kinda like the C3g. It pairs nicely with the 6H30Pi power tubes on my Mk4 and also on the little LD1+.
I also have 9 pairs of EF95 tubes (most are inexpensive and some need strapping as EF95).
Also I've built adapters to use my dozens of old 6DJ8 and 12AX7 tubes, which sounds extremely smooth as well. 
Enjoying it!  :wink:
Is it possible to create adapter to turn ef95 into 6dj8? It would be great if I can reuse my tube collection for some other amp, especially the aune t1

May 30, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,673 of 3,154
Is it possible to create adapter to turn ef95 into 6dj8? It would be great if I can reuse my tube collection for some other amp, especially the aune t1

Yes, it is possible, but to the best of my knowledge, a nice simple plug and play adapter does not exist. Rather, it is necessary to buy a few parts and wire them together. And the result is somewhat ugly and messy -- a Little "Monster" Dot, if you will. lol :)

In short, to use 6DJ8, all you need is a 9-pin breadboard socket and two 7-pin test sockets.

However, if you wish to roll double triodes drawing more than 0.45 amps of heater current, for example, 6SN7, it is necessary to put together an external heater supply as well.

So this will work for 6DJ8, 2C51 and similar low current double triodes.

And for higher current double triodes, an external heater power supply consisting of a step-down voltage regulator and a an AC to DC power supply is necessary. You might already have an AC to DC power supply, for example, an extra laptop power supply. Just make sure it is rated for at least 1.5A.

For more information, check out the Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide forum...

May 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,674 of 3,154
  Not saying the C3G's don't sound nice, they do, but they cost a lot and I get just as much enjoyment from tubes that were one tenth the price.
Actually, I don't think I have tried them on the 1+ yet, got something to do now, lol.

I was curious about the C3G's but they are expensive plus adapters. I wasn't sure it was worth it.

May 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,675 of 3,154

I believe you want it the other way around -- to use your collection of EF95 on your Aune, correct?
You will be using 2 pentrodes per channel to replace one dual-triode.
I should be possible but you have to build your own adapters.  I did not recall I've seen any of these available commercially.

I use one 6DJ8/7308/E88CC to replace the 2 EF95 on my Little Dot, and love it!

May 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #2,679 of 3,154
  My Mullard M8100 is the square getter type.  
Has anyone tried the round getter type?  Are there any differences sonically?

Generally, rectangular getters indicate 1940's and '50's production. Round getters appeared around 1960. While the getter shape has absolutely no effect on the sonics, the getter shape provides some indication of when a tube was manufactured. And in my experience, tubes manufactured in the 1940's and 1950's have better sonics than those manufactured later.

It is my believe that the primary reason older tubes sound better is that in the 1940's and '50's vacuum tubes were state-of-the-art and considerable research and development dollars were dedicated to making them better. However, by the 1960's, solid state was the new SOTA, and any research and development dollars directed towards vacuum tubes had the aim of making them as cheaply as possible in order to keep the old and obsolete tube gear running.

Therefore, it is my practice, when at all possible, to purchase older tubes, that is, those with rectangular getters. And to use the 6AV6 as a example, the older GE with rectangular getters definitely sound better than more recent production. That said, I have no idea if older M8100 sound better than later production.... And of course, my ears and my gear... YMMV. :)

May 31, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,680 of 3,154
Has anyone tried the Burson SS with the I+? I have read somewhere that it might not fit into the case. Is there anything that I can buy to make it fit or should I try to cut open the panel below the amp?

May 31, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #2,682 of 3,154
  Has anyone tried the Burson SS with the I+? I have read somewhere that it might not fit into the case. Is there anything that I can buy to make it fit or should I try to cut open the panel below the amp?

Yes, Burson sells some kind of adapter for them. I don't think that it's listed on their website but I've asked them a while ago and they confirmed they've got it. I ended up buying another amp instead so never got to try it out. 

Burson people are very helpful so just contact them and I'm sure they'll guide you in the right direction. 

May 31, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #2,683 of 3,154

The Burson V5 op amp? I bought the 35mm extender and bent it sideways to fit. It's a pain in the ass but you can shoehorn it in. But I thought the Sparko's Lab op amp sounded better when comparing the two and it easily fits. The Burson sounded darker and more congested.

May 31, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2,685 of 3,154

Yes, it is possible, but to the best of my knowledge, a nice simple plug and play adapter does not exist. Rather, it is necessary to buy a few parts and wire them together. And the result is somewhat ugly and messy -- a Little "Monster" Dot, if you will. lol :)

In short, to use 6DJ8, all you need is a 9-pin breadboard socket and two 7-pin test sockets.

However, if you wish to roll double triodes drawing more than 0.45 amps of heater current, for example, 6SN7, it is necessary to put together an external heater supply as well.

So this will work for 6DJ8, 2C51 and similar low current double triodes.

And for higher current double triodes, an external heater power supply consisting of a step-down voltage regulator and a an AC to DC power supply is necessary. You might already have an AC to DC power supply, for example, an extra laptop power supply. Just make sure it is rated for at least 1.5A.

For more information, check out the Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide forum...

Extremely impressive work! I will look into the thread ASAP.

I believe you want it the other way around -- to use your collection of EF95 on your Aune, correct?
You will be using 2 pentrodes per channel to replace one dual-triode.
I should be possible but you have to build your own adapters.  I did not recall I've seen any of these available commercially.

I use one 6DJ8/7308/E88CC to replace the 2 EF95 on my Little Dot, and love it!

Thanks for the answer. I really liked my e88cc but it costed too much trying to keep 2 separate tube collection at the same time.
Quote:
  Yes, Burson sells some kind of adapter for them. I don't think that it's listed on their website but I've asked them a while ago and they confirmed they've got it. I ended up buying another amp instead so never got to try it out. 

Burson people are very helpful so just contact them and I'm sure they'll guide you in the right direction. 

Yep I'm in contact with Burson and they're extremely nice. Too bad I forgot about the adapter, but there will be a way to use the v5, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back