Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #211 of 3,154
I just recieved my LT1364-CN8 opamp and installed in place of the stock MC33078P opamp.
Sounds better, more open and instruments can be better located.
Highs are more transparent, base is more controlled.

I am not the review guy but maybe im going to write some more about the LT1364 in the LD1+ in the near future.

Edit:

Could the OP please change the thread title to "Little Dot I+ Tube and OpAmp Rolling".
Just because the opamp is rollable too and it is realy simple and worth it doing so i think.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #212 of 3,154
I want my hands on some LT1364s!!!

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #213 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recieved my LT1364-CN8 opamp and installed in place of the stock MC33078P opamp.
Sounds better, more open and instruments can be better located.
Highs are more transparent, base is more controlled.

I am not the review guy but maybe im going to write some more about the LT1364 in the LD1+ in the near future.

Edit:

Could the OP please change the thread title to "Little Dot I+ Tube and OpAmp Rolling".
Just because the opamp is rollable too and it is realy simple and worth it doing so i think.

I have no clue where to buy an opamp or how to swap them once I do (I have no skill with electronics.) Could you go into a bit more technical deyail about opamp rolling in general, maybe with some pictures? Thanks!

Oh, and I have ordered some GE 6AK5s. I look forward to seeing if I really hear a difference.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #214 of 3,154
I don't have any pictures, but it's basically a cap that you can remove using your fingers. Basically as easy as to swap a tube, you just need to remove the bottom plate of the amp.

Hmm.. I'm sure i saw pictures of an opened amp. Have you checked the manual about changing the jumpers for different tubes? Even figuring that out is more difficult.

You can, from most places, order samples of opamps. Usually free of charge, if you fill out a form. This is what i heard, and i'm doing it now. Try Linear Technology for the LT1364. Mmm..

Edit: Is it the dual or quad version of the amp i should use?

2nd Edit: I found out that dual opamps work without an adapter. Thanks

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #215 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no clue where to buy an opamp

I bought LT1364 op-amps from Newark.com. If you find them in stock anywhere else under $10 then buy them from someone else. Newark is a really crappy company to buy from. However, they are the cheapest at the moment for the LT1364 at $7.

If you buy the LT1364, make sure that you get the DIP-8 version. The Newark part number is 57M3509.

The stock op-amp that came with my Little Dot I+ was the bottleneck in the system. Once the op-amp was upgraded to the LT1364 I began appreciating the details of great sounding tubes. I almost threw the stock Chinese 6J1 tubes in the trash. After the op-amp upgrade the 6J1 tubes are still nowhere near the best sounding tubes, but they are now interesting enough to tube roll and compare against others.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #216 of 3,154
Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #217 of 3,154
You will be fine. PBF just means lead free.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #218 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnuttz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be fine. PBF just means lead free.

Right, pb stands for lead. Been a while since i studied chemistry
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks..

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #219 of 3,154
I just ordered a pair from Linear (a pair because the quantity defaulted to 2. Do I really need 2?)

Now I just hope I am smart enough to put it (them?) in when they arrive!

Total cost with shipping was $17. Not bad if it really is an upgrade!

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #220 of 3,154
Don't worry, you'll be fine!

You just need to find a similar shaped 'cap' and swap it. There should be some sort of an universal indicator as to which way it should be put in. If i can recall, it's a small alcove on either side.
I'm waiting mine too from Linear
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a dual opamp, from what i've understood, and it will fit the LD I+ design without any adapters or sorts.. You only need one. It will fit many apparatuses though, and i'll be using the second one on my Zero DAC perhaps..

Hmm.. What kind of source are you using? Do you listen from your computer or do you pack a CD-player?

-K

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #221 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. What kind of source are you using? Do you listen from your computer or do you pack a CD-player?

-K

My system is strictly for home use. CDs are all that I listen to, and I use my Cambridge Audio 340C CD player. Next month, I may upgrade by adding the Cambridge DAC magic. My D5000s are already ordered, and will arrive next week. Obviously, this is growing into one helluva system!

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #222 of 3,154
Already on the move, great!
smily_headphones1.gif

The opamp as well as other parts of the chain ie. my zero, if not up to the task, might - even for the LD I+ - end up being bottlenecks. I'm very curious about testing the LD I+ with a higher end cdp for instance, and have been looking for one. My current favorite is the Consonance Orfeo. A very good sounding linear cd-player. (delivers the punch!) Just a tad expensive..
At the moment I'm using the zero, fed via optical by a creative soundcard that's linked to foobar as an ASIO-device. My take on sources was rather, well, sceptic at first. Previously I was just using iTunes on an XP-platform. Decided, after hesitating so much because of the troublesomeness, to try foobar and run my soundcards via ASIO and the difference was really something.
Now i really want a standalone music center without the distractions a computer delivers..!
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #223 of 3,154
I have never had any interest in music from a computer file, downloaded or otherwise. Maybe I am just too old fashioned to give up my shiny discs!
In theory, lossless files can sound as good as CDs (with a good soundcard, of course), but there is still something unsatisfying about that route to me.

My "completed" system will be Cambridge 340C>DAC Magic>LD I+ with LT1364 opamp and GE6AK5 tubes>Denon D5000s. Audio heaven! total price=$1350.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #224 of 3,154
Ooh, I have the discs alright! I never download music unless i have to. Meaning that I justify it, if something can't be found anywhere
frown.gif

The problem now is funding and limited desktop space. I've even been tempted to set up a vinyl system. I listened to some great progressive music from the 70s (Gong - Gazeuse, i recall) and compared CD- and LP-masters and whoa did they sound different, the vinyl sounding in this case, tons better. The vinyl-mastering just requires so much more attention to technical details and what not. It's almost to be considered an art form
smily_headphones1.gif

Your system is looking quite nice, though I'm not a fan of Denons myself. I think you'll run into an urge to order a set of tubes specifically for the Denons. They have that treble energy and bass punch, so tubes in general do them good. From what I've tried at least. I'm quite sure my WE408as would do them justice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Please post some impressions when you've had the chance to burn in some tubes and swap opamps! I'm waiting for my Sylvania golds as well as a pair of voshods quite eagerly.. Not to mention the lt1364s..

Aargh, this is a sickness!

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #225 of 3,154
I won't know if I like the Denons until I get them, but all the reviews lead me to think that I will. For what I paid, I had better like them!
Tubes are pretty cheap, so I may try some different ones. My preference is to stay in the same configuration as the 6JIs, though, because I hate opening the unit to mess with jumpers and such!

I really should be happy with my DT770s, since they sound absolutely awesome. I always have to wonder what even better would sound like, though. Just part of the disease, I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back