Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,921 of 3,154
  I'am interested on this question.......
wink.gif

I'am looking for a DAC to pair with my Future CRACK KIT and i'am considering the Schiit Modi.

I am looking at the ODAC right now and it seems to be the business for the money, but the Modi has come to mind as well :/ 

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,930 of 3,154

What DAC are you using with your LD I+?

I was lucky to stumble across a used Audio-gd Fun (DAC / Preamp / Headphone amplifier combo) and an Audio-gd USB to Coaxial Digital Interface for a good price. Of course, I don't use the amp portion of this unit, but I do use the preamp and DAC. The DAC, an AD1852 with a dual OPA-Earth discrete op amp seems pretty neutral to me and I am quite happy with it.

So while I think you cannot go wrong with a Modi or an ODAC, keep in mind that there are lots of options out there....

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,931 of 3,154

Congratulations on solving the problem! It's a shame that your amp is defective, but it is very fortunate that you decided to roll 408A tubes now, and not a year from now, so you are able to make a strong case for a refund.

7.2v is a little high, but that is not surprising. The LD heater voltage is unregulated, so if the AC voltage coming out of the wall is a bit high (not at all uncommon) the heater voltage will also be high. Plus, with no tube plugged in, there is no load on the heater circuit. Typically, with a tube plugged in, the reading at the pins will be a bit lower. Anyway, nothing to worry about.

And IMHO, your decision to purchase your next amp directly from LD is a good one. They have one of the best warranties in the business.

Finally got my replacement LD I+ today (btw David was great to work with and provided excellent service).  The new I+ unit works as it should on the 408A setting, and I finally get to listen to my WE408A tubes, they sound great! Very happy with my now complete setup! (Modi DAC -> LD I+ (upgrades: WE408A/OPA2107) -> Audio Technica ATH-AD700).  I feel like i'm listening to Led Zeppelin again for the very first time :)  Thanks again for your help gibosi!

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,932 of 3,154

Finally got my replacement LD I+ today (btw David was great to work with and provided excellent service).  The new I+ unit works as it should on the 408A setting, and I finally get to listen to my WE408A tubes, they sound great! Very happy with my now complete setup! (Modi DAC -> LD I+ (upgrades: WE408A/OPA2107) -> Audio Technica ATH-AD700).  I feel like i'm listening to Led Zeppelin again for the very first time :)  Thanks again for your help gibosi

Which album/mastering did you give a listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back