Listening to Multi-Channel SACD on Headphones
Mar 28, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Explain to me how an AMP does surrround sound? You mean a receiver?

You can play SACD obviously via its 2 channel track which many do. You can buy surround sound headphone system (comes with sort of a receiver).

Either way this is not a good idea. Headphones are designed for 2 channel audio.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Dolby Headphone supports 5.1 channels up to 24-bit 96kHz. I am guessing that is one of the best ways to listen to surround music over headphones from a PC. Haven't tried it though.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 6
It is not possible to listen to lossless multichannel( SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, DTS- HD MasterAudio, or multichannel PCM ) as recorded over headphones. The JVC processor( and AKG used to also have a processor ) will simulate multichannel on headphones, given a lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS source. I had the AKG system( which also required special AKG headphones ) but it never worked for me.

That said, I will now contradict myself. There is a processor available that is claimed to allow you to listen to surround music or soundtracks over headphones, in their full 5.1 or 7.1 glory. It is the Smyth Research Realizer A8. It is expensive( [size=x-small]$3,360.00 USD, which includes a pair of Stax phones )[/size]. It will only work if you already have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup and want to duplicate the sound of that system over phones; it uses a microphone to calibrate the headphone processor to replicate the sound of your speakers in your room over the phones. Unlike binaural, it has motion detectors, so that turning your head will not cause the sound field to shift with your head. Widescreen Review gave it a rave. Go to www.smyth-research.com  to find out more.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 6
The problem with the JVC and Sony processors is that they have to 'fake' multi-channel over 2 channel headphones, so they cannot be lossless. I have Dolby Headphone in my receiver and I watch 5.1 HDTV with it. It only works for me sometimes, and how well it works it depends on the source material. But even when it works, it isn't anywhere near the surround effect you get with 5.1 speakers.

The Smyth Research processor doesn't fake it. It attempts to replicate the pressure vectors at your ears by using a mic and test signals to calibrate the processor for your particular speakers, listening position and room. I have not heard it but only read about it. See www.smyth-research.com  for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back