List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Sep 22, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #151 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also regret that I didn't banter with you to a greater sufficiency last week.

The feeling is mutual. Hopefully, you will return for CanJam in Chicago.

I hope to have some more DAC notes soon.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #154 of 284
Bought a couple of DACs today to try out in the Squeezebox system. They will compete with my existing DAC the Weiss DAC2.

Weiss DAC2 $3,000
Audio Research DAC7 $3,500
PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC $3,000

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #158 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do tell about the DAC...

Well, as a stand alone unit, the Perfect Wave DAC is good. It certainly beat my North Star M192, which sounded lean in comparison. But I will readily admit that I have not done extensive comparisons of DACs. I can only say that I embarked on a project to build a speaker setup last December. With every iteration (buy/sell), I always felt that my relatively modest headphone setup, consisting of an Eastsound E5 and a Singlepower Extreme with NOS tubes, ICs, power cords, etc. was more engrossing and satisfying. The last iteration to my speaker rig was the addition of the Perfect Wave DAC and Transport and the sale of my preamp (since the DAC can be used as a preamp) and I now find that my speaker rig sounds far better than the headphone rig has ever sounded. It is just more engaging and emotionally involving than the headphone rig. However, this only applies when I use the DAC & Transport together, rather than the DAC and other digital sources (like my DVD player.) It has made me rethink the importance of a good source. My next upgrade will probably be to buy a Perfect Wave DAC + Transport as the source for my headphone rig.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #159 of 284
Sold my Pass D1.
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #160 of 284
I have a Esoteric X-03se for SACD/CD listening.
I also have a heavily modified MHDT Havana DAC (with JW WE 396a valve).

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #162 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad I'm finally able to add to this thread. I received my Marantz KI-Pearl SACD player. List price is $2999.99 US though I got a demo unit.

Congrats! That's a good looking player, looks good stacked with the amp too.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #164 of 284
Really? So much of the press on the player lements the fact its gone to standard black and blue leds. Personally, I know the first time I saw I thought it looked great. One thing I noticed about the jump upwards that doesn't get mentioned often with source upgrades (the unit has about 80h on it in 3mo) is that harmonies are so much nicer and richer! Love it! I wanted something single ended to match my single ended yammy. Plus, it seems like there is a real gap of sacd players in this price range ($3k) so I was happy to get it. Simple small scale music is excellent but busy passages still get compressed and congested which means... I see more upgrades in my future. (I guess maybe my yammy and ad2k aren't up to it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back