List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Dec 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #33 of 284
It is worth noting, I think, that the OP is no longer a participant of head-fi, so barring some mod intervention the list will ne'er again be updated.

That being said, Electrocopmpaniet ECD-1, $2,500 retail
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is worth noting, I think, that the OP is no longer a participant of head-fi, so barring some mod intervention the list will ne'er again be updated.

That being said, Electrocopmpaniet ECD-1, $2,500 retail
smily_headphones1.gif

Your thinking of Asr... this list is the newer one kept updated by Akabeth.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #35 of 284
How very right you are. Thanks to derekbmn for setting me straight, and to Akabeth for taking the reigns from Steve!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #38 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. I'm not using my dCS stack anymore because I like my EMU0404 USB better ($200), am I still allowed on the list?

dCS Elgar Plus / Verdi Encore (Firewire) $31 000

l_6b69c5d0eedf3a971119a7016a674bf1.jpg

Hi Patrick,

I am thinking of buying an elgar plus, until I saw your comment. Are you seriously liking your EMU better ? And on which grounds ?

Looking forward to an reply.

Jeroen

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #39 of 284
Jeroen,

Please do not take Patrick too seriously. His affections wax and wane, but they are always very contrary to the prevailing opinion.

The E-Mu is a great product, but I highly doubt it is objectively better than the dCS. My ECD-1 is much better, empirically and subjectively. I can only imagine the dCS is worlds better than both.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 284
Just find a few posts by Patrick and you'll see what we mean. Better yet, check out his profile - it's got some links to "interesting" content that says a lot about him.

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #44 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeroenniemeijer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Patrick,

I am thinking of buying an elgar plus, until I saw your comment. Are you seriously liking your EMU better ? And on which grounds ?

Looking forward to an reply.

Jeroen

dCS DAC with the variable 2/6 vrms output switch is my favorite source for K1000 because you don't need a headphone amp, you just switch to 6vrms and get loads of bass from K1000! That's the only reason it is better than EMU0404 USB. I'm using HD590 now and they only need 2vrms to be driven properly, EMU is good enough for that. The signal path is short and the wattage draw is very low when combined with a laptop! I have discovered that with a lower wattage draw it sounds silkier which compensates for the poor DACs.

dCS DAC has extra low-level detail and silky sound which are revealed from speakers with a good midrange, headphones with pads have a blurry midrange so it doesn't matter much. K1000 have an emphasized midrange with rolled off frequency extremes which makes normal sources sound edgy and fatiguing, K1000 + dCS DAC is the perfect match because it sounds smooth as silk. It's far better than tube amps because it gives maximum low-level detail. If you like silky sound the dCS is the source to buy, but IMO it's not worth the price.

Bass is lacking on all sources, I use Virtual Dynamics Genesis power cables to fix the problem, they give more for the money than a better source. I rather use Genesis + EMU than stock cable + dCS. The Genesis gives crazy bass no matter what is plugged into it! More Genesis gave a bigger effect, I have 3 Genesis daisy chained between wall and extension strip, and I have EMU and laptop plugged into that, I don't feel like I need anything more right now.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #45 of 284
Patrick is a hardcore audiophile. no doubt about it. his opinions are not mainstream, but there is lots of useful (and truthful) bits of information in his long and sometimes rambling posts. i for one enjoy reading them.

on another note, i just purchased a used Cary 306 SACD. not the Pro version. those aren't really available used and would be almost double the cost anyway. looking forward to doing some comparisons with my G08. plus i now have a player that does SACD and has a digital input so i can streamline some of my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back