List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Oct 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #106 of 256
I use a Voyd Valdi turntable with split phase external PSU, Helius Aereus II arm (Kondo KSL-Vz wired) with a Shelter 901 cartridge.
Phono stage is an Audio Innovations P2, used in conjunction with a Tribute Audio MC step-up transformer.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #107 of 256
Another classy TT on this thread and sounds like you've already had the upgrade bug to good effect. Also good to find another Shelter 901 fan. As it happens, one of the upgrades my TT is having, is exchanging the copper internal arm wire for Kondo wire. The chap doing the re-wire only refers to this as 'fairy wire', so I wondered if the wire you mention is one out of a range Kondo put out?

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #108 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another classy TT on this thread and sounds like you've already had the upgrade bug to good effect. Also good to find another Shelter 901 fan. As it happens, one of the upgrades my TT is having, is exchanging the copper internal arm wire for Kondo wire. The chap doing the re-wire only refers to this as 'fairy wire', so I wondered if the wire you mention is one out of a range Kondo put out?

Let me guess who you're talking about - Johnnie @ Audio Origami?
He rewired and rebuilt my arm actually. It's wired internally with the same Kondo Silver "fairy" wire you mention and has a Kondo KSL-Vz arm cable.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #109 of 256
Is it just me or is it the whole of the UK that seems to go to Johnnie for their rewire? Seems that everywhere I go people are mentioning him. My arm cable is Nordost Quattro Fil- another silver cable, I'm advised would work well with the Kondo (connected via DIN plug). I have a feeling though that you might have your Kondo internal and external wires soldered together as Johnnie is much in favour of, to help reduce joins in the signal path?
Also- if you might know, I hope you could advise of the Shelter's tracking weight, as I can't lay my hands on the cart's spec sheet now, and my hi-fi repair chap is asking for this to set the counter weight correctly

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #110 of 256
Yes, Johnnie is a bit of a tonearm guru.
My KSL-Vz leadout cable has an SME DIN plug connection ( it was originally used on an SME V I used to own). So Johnnie fitted a female DIN connector so I could use this cable with my Helius arm. Seemed an extravagance to have such a costly cable kicking about not in use.

FYI the tracking force range for the 901 is 1.4 - 2.0 grams.
I set mine at 1.9, seems to do the trick.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #112 of 256
Ive alway had to own my mid-mid/hi end system on a budget, but right now I am running:
Rega P3 of sorts, the only original parts left are the bearing housing and AC motor (DC motor coming up, will stop that cart proxy hum once and for all), still with that modded RB300, which has been blasted, stuffed, has a Pete Riggle 118 gram weight with semi detached end stub (OL silver MKIII will be my next arm)
I cut back the Incognito lead to 12" so the Benz Micro PP1 Lucaschek (T9 spec) can be much closer to the cart and sits underneath the plinth on sandstone. The plinth is cheap 'n' cheerful CNCed MDF...but I realise the limitations of a non suspended plinth and non inverted bearing. Still, I am only looking as far as maybe that 750 pound origin live entry turntable as an upgrade, with the silver arm, early next year. This is my budget. Maybe I will never own a suspended plinth inverted bearing turntable. I am also working on one of those Ken Stapleton tube RIAA stages, but the man that designed the power supply had to cut some corners and the hum so far is unbearable, but it works nice on a cheap ortofon MM. Eventually I will seperate the power supply and add a couple of Cinemag stepups for the DL103 I am currently fiddling with. It has an alloy body but no other mods yet. Time for Soundsmith to do their thing there. My other cartridge of note is an old Supex 900 MKIV with Benz Micro fitted boron CL and FG type II stylus, and that is gorgeous. All this goes to a Darkvoice 336se, which isn't exactly high end, neither are my sennheiser HD 580, HD 650 and beyer DT990 pro cans.
But it helps me grade my entire system as : mid - mid/hi end.
That lucaschek would hold its own against some higher price points I bet.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #114 of 256
I am now the proud owner of a VPI Scoutmaster. Using it with my Benz L2 Wood - great sounding combination. I am keeping my Denon as well - it now has a ClearAudio Maestro Wood in it.

The Denon is actually both bigger and heavier than the VPI - I was surprised by this. And it compares quite favorably as well, although there are ways the VPI is better (and a few in which the Denon is better).

Pics later, but Derek you can add me to the Scoutmaster line
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #115 of 256
Congratulations Rob.

My table continues with its jinx. I ordered the LPS back the end of August and it finally came in but then I screwed up the day for it to be delivered and installed so now we're looking at hopefully this coming Friday afternoon. Maybe after a year I will get the table sounding like it is capable of.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #116 of 256
Sorry to hear that, Steve! I hope that it gets cleared up soon.

The Scoutmaster is not as tricky, fortunately, although the JMW arms are a little fussy. I had done the set-up on my Dad's Aries so I was at least familiar with it. I have the deck on a Gingko Cloud isolation platform, but I still needed some sorbathane underneath the motor to fully damp its vibrations, and that the counterweight has to be attached just right for the unipivot arm to balance properly so that the azimuth is right. I'm an old pro at adjusting overhang and such, so that went fine. Played about a half-dozen records last night I was so fired up about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #117 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now the proud owner of a VPI Scoutmaster. Using it with my Benz L2 Wood - great sounding combination. I am keeping my Denon as well - it now has a ClearAudio Maestro Wood in it.

The Denon is actually both bigger and heavier than the VPI - I was surprised by this. And it compares quite favorably as well, although there are ways the VPI is better (and a few in which the Denon is better).

Pics later, but Derek you can add me to the Scoutmaster line
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! I have to admit, I haven't kept up at all on analogue. But I Googled this out of curiosity and wow, what a beauty! If it sounds half as good as it looks, it should be incredible!

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #118 of 256
Thanks John! I agree the VPI is a cool looking turntable, but aesthetically it's a step down from the Denon, at least for me - some will probably prefer it's look, I guess. I did "dress up" its looks by getting the Gingko dust cover for it yesterday, which also has the advantage of keeping the dust off
wink.gif

Sonically, it seems to be a step up, and this was the reason I got it of course - one does not need a better *looking* turntable than the Denon
biggrin.gif
. But I need more time with it to say for sure either way.

VPI:

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-1.jpg

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

Denon:

dp59l3.jpg

dp59l4.jpg

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #119 of 256
Quote:

Thanks John! I agree the VPI is a cool looking turntable, but aesthetically it's a step down from the Denon, at least for me - some will probably prefer it's look, I guess. I did "dress up" its looks by getting the Gingko dust cover for it yesterday, which also has the advantage of keeping the dust off
wink.gif

Sonically, it seems to be a step up, and this was the reason I got it of course - one does not need a better *looking* turntable than the Denon
biggrin.gif
. But I need more time with it to say for sure either way.

VPI:

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-1.jpg

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

Denon:

dp59l3.jpg

dp59l4.jpg

They are both gorgeous. The Denon with the classic look of wood and the VPI with the futuristic modern look. Glad you have something great to do today! :wink:

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #120 of 256
Quote:

Sorry to hear that, Steve! I hope that it gets cleared up soon.

The Scoutmaster is not as tricky, fortunately, although the JMW arms are a little fussy. I had done the set-up on my Dad's Aries so I was at least familiar with it. I have the deck on a Gingko Cloud isolation platform, but I still needed some sorbathane underneath the motor to fully damp its vibrations, and that the counterweight has to be attached just right for the unipivot arm to balance properly so that the azimuth is right. I'm an old pro at adjusting overhang and such, so that went fine. Played about a half-dozen records last night I was so fired up about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Yesterday I finally got the issue resolved with the installation of a new Benz LPS cartridge. The stars and the earth aligned finally along with the December Stereophile coming in with Michael's review of this cartridge. I have it set at the 470 ohm he recommended and it is very musical.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back