List of DIY headphone amplifiers
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #31 of 72

Quote:
Thanks for this great thread WyldRage. If you're inclined to do so, :wink: Identifying which amps are suitable for low z phones would be Awesome! With the popularity of the Denons these days I think a lot of people would find it really helpful.

At the moment I use D2000's with a MMH and a Bijou and I'm looking to trade or sell them to fund a more appropriate low z DIY amp.

Thanks again
James

Basically any amp that is not an OTL.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 72
hi imay sound dumb  but im a noob, but yeah... would a regular headamp like "little dot etc..." produce a better sound than a regular Receiver "headphone out"? i have 2 receivers "hrt5650 and sx-780" and a uDac2... i dont have a headphone yet tho.. ill be buying ultrasone 750, 780 or 900 in the near future.. but im just wondering just in case ^_^

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #34 of 72
and the headphone

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #35 of 72
I recently purchase one from Madcap Audio based in Singapore with reference buffered design. Have his own circuit board too. I then upgraded the opamp to Muse02 with OPA2107. The combination is really awesome. :)

You can order a kit or just the PCB.

My set:

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #37 of 72

Quote:
Found another one: the World Designs HD3S, a single-ended pentode design it seems.

I have the original version of that amp: the World Audio Designs HD83. Its the same amp, but the newer one has a better method of switching the secondaries.

The amplifier is triode/triode-strapped-pentode, with a VERY neat feedback arrangement. 

This marks the 4'th time this amplifier has been mentioned on head-fi. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #38 of 72

Quote:

I have the original version of that amp: the World Audio Designs HD83. Its the same amp, but the newer one has a better method of switching the secondaries.

The amplifier is triode/triode-strapped-pentode, with a VERY neat feedback arrangement. 

This marks the 4'th time this amplifier has been mentioned on head-fi. 

No kidding, I discovered its existence last night, searched Head-Fi to check if it was mentioned, and all I came up with was a '01 thread! It's even worse than my Castanet: at least I wrote a review of the latter.

So, how big/heavy is it?

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 72
We've got a new one! The Bottlehead Smack WOT (With Output Transformer). It's in the list, and you can find the information here: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=455&action=show_detail

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #40 of 72
The Smack sounds very good - we've been needing a reasonably priced transformer amp. I am sure it is up to Bottlehead's high standards and I hope it's a big seller for them.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #41 of 72
I found a TPA6120 based headamp kit from China

Here's link  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12411366806&_u=j43rr02511b

Pics from seller

Version 2.0(PCB as pic) was sold out, seller told me newer version 2.8 will comes later.

Kit price is RMB$250, add RMB$90 for chassis. (Version 2.0 w/o shipment)

110V transformer is available for purchase.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #43 of 72
I just ordered a WAD HD3S after listening to a friends with some Audeze LCD2s at the weekend.  It is a match made in heaven.  Natural delicacy and power combined...  No complaints about low frequency bias with the LCD2s with this amp.  We compared the WAD with a Lehmann Black Cube Linear, Musical Fidelity XCAN V2 & V3 (both with PinkFloyd mods and aftermarket PSUs) and a FIIO E9.  We compared the LCD2s with Beyer T1s and a pair of AKG 701s..  We both agreed that the WAD was the best amp on all of the headphones tested and the WAD and LCD2s were the best combination by a considerable margin. Heres a photo (The BCL didn't come out until after the photo was taken - sorry).  The WAD is the black amp with a silver front on the left, the XCAN V3 the amp with the headphones on top.

Souce Gear: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC & Pioneer PDS904 CD Player & Load of CDs (will list as I remember)

Adrian

Quote:
No kidding, I discovered its existence last night, searched Head-Fi to check if it was mentioned, and all I came up with was a '01 thread! It's even worse than my Castanet: at least I wrote a review of the latter.

So, how big/heavy is it?

May 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #45 of 72
Can this possibly be update? For example Eddie Current has a DIy amp now too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back