List of DIY headphone amplifiers
Feb 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 72
You know, if you gave me a link, it would be much easier for me.
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 72
sure, those arent gonna be easy to find, i'll sort out some links now. I was just dead tired at 3am and you set the trend with 'the wire' I thought I would see your skils ;P

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 72
OK here is the thread with DAO and DAO with taylor CCS. the page linked contains the posted schematics and the thread covers setup for this and all manner of discrete solid state headphone amps. many of which are based on designs by Nelson pass (Papa) Some other source follower configurations, also a number of other source followers that make great headphone amps if you dont need voltage gain. ie if you already have a reasonable source with 2v or higher output. they'll have a hard time unmodified with big headphone loads, but the range I mentioned they work perfectly.

the PCB artwork is posted on that page linked also; the schematic is in the zip by patrick aka EUVL in post #7, not the image posted underneath.but you will have to read through the thread to find out the latest tweaks and issues

the Dispre II  which is a preamplifier that also works as an excellent headphone amp. its also 100% discrete. 

in fact there are several Pass inspired designs that have been turned into headamps, like the aleph and F5 and F3

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #20 of 72
i'm busy trying to get a PCB together for his 2 stage X'd power jfet circlotron, man if there was ever an amp in need of an acronym, but will be trying out the X'd DAO first and go with a PCB for whatever I prefer. dont sweat the P2P, especially this amp, its so simple, hardest thing is finding a nice way of sinking the lovltechs and who cares how it looks just hide the ugly bits under perf

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 72
http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=885&osCsid=718f6397d53e509b660518b1a859b827

Link to the Oatley

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 72
I hope you don't mind, but I copied your post into a wiki.
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/list-of-diy-headphone-amps

I think that it would be better if we organized the information better. Links should be with their respected amp entry.
And everything should be on a table.

I don't have time to do it now, but I might later.
In any case, this way anyone can update it =)

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 72

For some amps, a PCB wouldn't make any sense..
The parts are just too big and the number of connections is too few.

L'espressivo is one of those.

EDIT: also, do we want to use the wiki I made?
If so, you should edit the OP to contain a link and not much more.

Quote:
Quote:
One that is missing is the L'espressivo.

www.ecp.cc

Well, there's no PCB or kit available... yet (check diyforums.org). I chose not to add every schematic out there, because there are litteraly dozens floatting everywhere on the net. I'll add the link with headwize.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #26 of 72
I've added l'espressivo and the kevin gilmore's electrostatic amps (those I could find: the man just won't stop designing!). The other ecp.cc projects don't seem to have enough information to actually build them.

I can add a link to the wiki, but I prefer to keep my OP.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 72
The TREAD was my first ever DIY build, but the Mini3 was my first DIY amp. It was a very easy build with almost zero casework needed. My only issue was I ordered a 9V battery that was too large to fit at first.

It does have two surface mounted ICs. So it's essential to use flux and have a narrow enough soldering iron tip.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #30 of 72
Thanks for this great thread WyldRage. If you're inclined to do so, :wink: Identifying which amps are suitable for low z phones would be Awesome! With the popularity of the Denons these days I think a lot of people would find it really helpful.

At the moment I use D2000's with a MMH and a Bijou and I'm looking to trade or sell them to fund a more appropriate low z DIY amp.

Thanks again
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back