List of DACs that work with iPad
Jun 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #706 of 963
Since I haven't received any answer whether IPad4 + Fiio e10 would work or not, I have decided to try for myself. 

I'm thinking of using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightning-USB-Micro-SD-SDHC-Camera-Connection-Kit-Kartenleser-Adapter-fur-iPad-4-/271217715373?pt=DE_Computer_Speicherkartenadapter&hash=item3f25d5e8ad this magical device.
However since E10 requires ~100mA I need a USB POWERED HUB, and this is the part that I don't understand. Which hubs are confirmed to work? And most importantly how do I connect it correctly? Or can I just use a simple unpowered hub and somehow connect wall charger in the middle?

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #707 of 963
Quote:
I got the HiFace Two usb/spdif converter to work with my iPad 1 today. The problem isn't the iPad or the HiFace, it's the apple CCK. I replaced it with "Card Reader + Hub" I bought on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-Camera-Connection-Kit-SD-Card-Reader-3-USB-HUB-Keyboard-For-iPad-1-2-3-/161032835500?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

My externally powered HiFace Two was immediately recognized and shows up in the airplay menu as M2Tech USB 2.0 Audi...

The same hub is connected to a USB hard drive. With iFile on my jailbroken iPad I can play 24 bit files from the hard drive through the HiFace to the coax input of my Emotiva DAC with no problem.

Here are links to 3 photos showing the setup, if anybody cares.

http://cl.ly/image/2s2Q0S2R2n0k

http://cl.ly/image/0r0L2B1H0S1u

http://cl.ly/image/2o120S0Q1V1j

Anyway someone should finally put the HiFace Two on the list of iPad friendly devices.

Interesting info. Do you know of a similar set-up with a non-jailbroken iPad mini or iPad4 running the latest iOS? I ask because the key may be the jailbreak, the use of an older iPad w/out a lightning connector, and/or an older iOS, instead of the CCK from CN.

Also, FWIW, it looks like that company has a similar device for the lightning connector on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Functional-Card-Reader-Combo-Kit-iPad-4-mini-iPad-accesories-/271198958386#vi-content

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #708 of 963
Interesting info. Do you know of a similar set-up with a non-jailbroken iPad mini or iPad4 running the latest iOS? I ask because the key may be the jailbreak, the use of an older iPad w/out a lightning connector, and/or an older iOS, instead of the CCK from CN.

Good thing you asked! I went back and tried every combination I could find. Only the following combinations have worked with the externally powered Hiface two on my system:

jailbroken iPad with "card reader + hub"

jailbroken iPad with Apple CCK + good quality (Targus) USB hub

What I had missed is that a poor quality USB hub (no name brand) also was a problem.

So, the jailbreak (in my case Absinthe over IOS 5.1.1) and a good quality USB hub seem to be both required.

By the way, the jailbreak and iFile app are, in my opinion, necessary anyway since you can't store much 24bit music on an iPad.

Both goldenear and capriccio iPad apps can navigate through, form playlists, and play files from an external drive once there is a symbolic link to the var/mnt directory in the documents folder of that app.

Unfortunately, if I have not been able to get the music app to play directly from a usb drive.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #710 of 963
Quote:
So, the jailbreak (in my case Absinthe over IOS 5.1.1) and a good quality USB hub seem to be both required.

By the way, the jailbreak and iFile app are, in my opinion, necessary anyway since you can't store much 24bit music on an iPad.

Thanks for doing all of that additional work.

I will be using the iPad mini in my car and the music (about 550MB of 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC) is stored on a Seagate Wireless Plus that creates its own wifi that the iPad can connect to. It works great. The Wireless plus can be powered via a charger in the armrest. I've left it on for a few weeks without any issues. Then its iPad mini > CCK > USB/SPDIF (Matrix audio - no powred hub needed) > automobile processor (Audison bitOne) via a coax cable. I have a Musical Fidelity v-link 24/96 arriving tomorrow and we'll see if that works with or without a powered hub. I also ordered the lightning version of the hub that you picked up. Probably a week or two wait as it is shipped from China.

To be honest, as soon as there is a decent 7 inch Windows 8 tablet available, my iPad mini may find itself out of a job!

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #711 of 963
Quick Update

The Musical Fidelity V-Link II (up to 24/96) works with the following two set-ups that provide additional power, but did not work without additional power.

iPad mini (iOS 6.1.3) > CCK > Powered USB hub (Plugable 4 port USB 2.0 with USB 1.1 charging) > V-Link > coax cable > DAC

iPad mini (iOS 6.1.3) > CCK > Unitech USB hub (connected to a power source) > V-Link > coax cable > DAC
http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=144

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #712 of 963
Just in case anyone is wondering.. Schiit Modi works with the CCK without a powered USB hub. Thats using an iPad 3 (first of the retinas) with the 30 pin dock, running current update of iOS 6

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #714 of 963
So as of the latest firmware, the HRT microStreamer works with the iPad + CCK, no hub or additional power required, as stated here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/240#post_9624142

I've tested this with my iPad 3, CCK, and microStreamer (with firmware updated) and it seems to work great. It's the most portable iPad + DAC setup I've seen.

On my Mac, the System Profiler reports that the microStreamer draws 97 mA—not sure whether this is true on iPad, or what the previous firmware version drew.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #715 of 963
Looks like the iPhone (and maybe the iPod touch?) may soon have the same support for the CCK as the iPad. 

This post claims compatibility with the iMic: 

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?s=7b54e8bbecd1d02391c7167e6d49ac85&p=1186624&postcount=1

And this video shows use with a USB keyboard: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zcz6aiQXi8

I do seem to recall that iPhone support for the CCK was present or promised for one of the previous major version betas (iOS 5 or 6; not sure which) and never materialized in the final release, so it's possible that this support may not be in the final release of iOS 7. 

Potentially very exciting, though. Fingers crossed!

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #716 of 963
Quote:
Did the end prototype have optical digital output? The reason why I am asking is it would be really nice to be using an iPhone or an iPad to it and then be able to stream into another external DAC, to use it as a sort of lightning connector to sp/dif converter

I hate to say, but I don't know.  I dropped out for a while due to health reasons, and didn't see if that was successfully added.
Quote:
Just in case anyone is wondering.. Schiit Modi works with the CCK without a powered USB hub. Thats using an iPad 3 (first of the retinas) with the 30 pin dock, running current update of iOS 6

We also use the Modi with the lightning CCK on iPad mini with no problems, and without the need for a powered USB hub, although we tend to use one since it keeps the iPad charged.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #717 of 963
That's a huge help. The DAC I want to use is the Meridian Explorer. Which has replaced the Wadia 121 in my line up.( impossible to adapt the 3 voltage Switching mode power supply) I saw a video with a 30 pin iPad 2 working with the Meridian Explorer using a CCK and a powered Belkin USB Hub. I tested audirvana plus with the newest MacBook Air ( which has even a better battery than claimed,,,,65% charged to full charge in 15-20 min) and results were stellar. Does anyone know of any sub $3000 DACs that. beat the Explorer?

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #718 of 963
Quote:

I hate to say, but I don't know.  I dropped out for a while due to health reasons, and didn't see if that was successfully added.

We also use the Modi with the lightning CCK on iPad mini with no problems, and without the need for a powered USB hub, although we tend to use one since it keeps the iPad charged.

I hope your health improves.Sorry to hear about that. Life is that ongoing struggle.

I am hoping to finally get this car system done. Two 1000 watt class a/b McIntosh car amps (thats about the best I can do for car SQ) and here I am wondering if I should run another DAC instead of the Meridian which even with crap Monstercable 1990's mini to RCA interconnect soundly trumped the Chordette Qute HD But for many (of my clients)  the Meridian is not a solution because of the single USB input. The drag for me is switching between my laptop and iPad.

So my personal solution for the Meridian Explorer single USB input?    I'm buying two Meridians! 

And my solution to the powered USB hub....should it work... is to use the Belkin Thunderbolt dock which gets power from Thunderbolt which can supposedly provide 10 watts of power. Should the Belkin Thunderbolt dock USB allow that to be supplied.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #719 of 963
I'm newbie here.

I want to check if below setup works?

iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.3) + CCK + Fiio E17

Another question, what is the better portable DAC/AMP (better than Fiio E17) to work with CCK+iPad 2?

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #720 of 963
Quote:
I'm newbie here.

I want to check if below setup works?

iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.3) + CCK + Fiio E17

Another question, what is the better portable DAC/AMP (better than Fiio E17) to work with CCK+iPad 2?

The iPad 2 + CCK + Fiio E17 will not work without some "special" USB hub inserted between the CCK and Fiio E17.  This can be a powered hub, or a hub that somehow does not tell the iPad what current is being drawn.  Otherwise, you will get the message that "this device uses too much power" on the iPad and it won't work.

I've gotten the iPad 2 + CCK + special USB hub + Fiio E17 to work.  I'm pretty sure this thread covers some of the hubs in previous posts.  

Another option would be to go with another DAC/AMP if you haven't bought the E17 already.  One that is really special in my opinion is the HRT MicroStreamer.  It has just been updated to allow use with iPads with the CCK:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer/240#post_9624142

The post I quote is by the designer of the HRT MicroStreamer.  After I saw this post, I ordered the device, got it, plugged it in to my iPad and saw the "this device uses too much power" message, went to the HRT website, downloaded the firmware, updated the firmware, and voila!  it works with both of my iPads (iPad 2 and mini).  

The E17 and MicroStreamer definitely have different sounds out of the iPad.  To me, the treble of the HRT device is sweeter-sounding.  The E17 has more functionality, though (bass/treble controls, can be used as a separate amp).  

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back