List of DACs that work with iPad
May 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #692 of 963
I used to have the solar charging Kudo case for iPad 2. It gives you incredible battery life + Mini HDMI out and a USB port for charging and synching (possibly no need for the cumbersome CCK). You can charge Other devices via its USB port too, iPhone , iPods, headsets etc. possibly even run a ISB hub off of it.

I sold my Kudo case but might buy a new one...if it means I could ditch that high leverage connection of the CCK to 30 PIN.

Does anyone have one they could test?

If also means you aren't stressing your 30 pin connection at all for people on the go.

May 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #693 of 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFonebone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone been able to use the hiFace2 with an iPad mini (iOS 6.1.3) ?

I have been trying to get the HiFace2 to work with an iPad mini for two weeks, including loading updated firmware after I informed M2Tech about the iOS 6.1.3 20 mA issue. With the iPad mini and a CCK, I've connected the hiFace2 directly to the CCK and to the CCK through a number of different powered and unpowered hubs, and wiht a Y power USB cable (not UNITECH, I'm waiting for that to arrive from China - it took the slow boat). HiFace2 does not work, i.e. no sound when connected to coax input of DAC. The hiFace2 works fine from a windows 7 PC, and the iPad mini has no problem with a CCK to DAC USB connection. [Of course, the hiFace2 is intended for a DAC with no USB.]

I think M2Tech products can't work driverless, so they won't work with iPad/CCK even using powered USB Hubs (or Unitek) that could pass iPad power check.
My M2Tech Young USB DAC never worked with iPad/CCK and it's based on same technology used for the HiFace2.
Just to be sure: does the HiFace2 work driverless in windows 7? Just uninstall M2tech drivers and test it in your PC. If it will not works in your PC driverless it'll never works with iPad/CCK.

May 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #694 of 963
Quote:
I think M2Tech products can't work driverless, so they won't work with iPad/CCK even using powered USB Hubs (or Unitek) that could pass iPad power check.
My M2Tech Young USB DAC never worked with iPad/CCK and it's based on same technology used for the HiFace2.
Just to be sure: does the HiFace2 work driverless in windows 7? Just uninstall M2tech drivers and test it in your PC. If it will not works in your PC driverless it'll never works with iPad/CCK.

Thraex - Thanks. You've been a big help on this thread and others. I'm trying to adapt some of your ideas in the mobile/headphone space to mobile/automobile. In this case, the goal is to get 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC from a Seagate Wireless Plus to the coax iput of a car-based processor. At this point, I'm trying to make it happen via an iPad mini and CCK. 

According to the M2Tech HiFace2 user manual - "iPad also supports USB Audio Class 2.0. This means that it is possible to connect the hi Face Two to an iPad through the latter’s camera kit, which exports a high speed host USB port. The limited supply current required by the hiFace Two makes it possible to power it even by the reduced current capabilities provided by the iPad. Once the hiFace Two is connected, the iPad automatically set it as default output device."

Unfortunately, no luck no matter what I do. The folks at M2Tech, although helpful, have avoided answereing the question "Have you ever sucessfully connected the HiFace2 to an iPad mini (iOS 6.1.3)?" Hmmmmm.

I ordered a Matrix X-SPDIF and that [size=x-small]Unitech cable (although the Y-power cable I'm using hasn't helped. If the X-SPDIF works, the hiFace2 is going back. If not, I'll probably get a Google Nexus 7. I've read that there are a few Android apps that can handle 24/96 on an Android tablet. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mp&hl=en and http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/) I'm pretty fed up with Apple this point. If MSFT had a 7 inch Widows 8 tablet, I'd get that.[/size]

Have you heard anything about use of the [size=x-small]Matrix X-SPDIF with an iPad mini? [/size]

May 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #695 of 963
Quote:
Have you heard anything about use of the [size=x-small]Matrix X-SPDIF with an iPad mini? [/size]

No, but my iBasso D7 has an Xmos chip similar to the Matrix X-SPDIF and it works with iPad/CCK (or the newer LtUSBCA) with the Unitek USB Hub cable + USB charger + Y USB cable (one end power only).
This is my portable setup:

May 20, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #697 of 963
I have also got my D7 to work with my iPad Mini (via a powered hub).

May 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #698 of 963
Quote:

How did you get around the software? Doesn't the Sidewinder require manual driver installation?

The D7 works also driverless (Xmos chip inside) at least up to USB 1.1 specs (24bit/96Khz), so a driver isn't required to connect the iPad.
ASIO driver needed for using it with a PC up to 24/192.

Unfortunately the Xmos chip inside my D7 can't handle 176.4Khz files with or without drivers, so avoid it if you care to have that freq too.
A firmware update can't cure the 176.4Khz bug, but newer Xmos chips are OK.

May 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #699 of 963
Quote:
The D7 works also driverless (Xmos chip inside) at least up to USB 1.1 specs (24bit/96Khz), so a driver isn't required to connect the iPad.
ASIO driver needed for using it with a PC up to 24/192.

Unfortunately the Xmos chip inside my D7 can't handle 176.4Khz files with or without drivers, so avoid it if you care to have that freq too.
A firmware update can't cure the 176.4Khz bug, but newer Xmos chips are OK.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. At a meet a few months ago I couldn't get it to work with my laptop without the driver, I thought it was absolutely required.

May 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #700 of 963
My iPad mini is sill refusing to talk to my M2Tech hiFace2 and Matrix X-SPDIF (both XMOS). I've now tried a near infinite number of powered and unpowered hubs (including the Unitech), alone and in series with one another. No luck. I do not get the "too much power" warning, but I also do not get any sound through my DAC/amp. I've also reset and repowered the iPad repeatedly.

Because my iPad mini works fine with the CCK and USB input of my Centrance DACmini, I'm starting to believe that USB to SPDIF converters which "inform" the iPad that they are 24/192 capable somehow confuse the iPad. Has anybody heard anything along these lines in the context of USB to SPDIF converters?

May 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #701 of 963
I don't believe the problem is to use a SPDIF converter only or adding a DAC inside the device.
My only guess is that both chips don't support USB 1.1 specs, but only USB 2.0. In other words, if a chip supports 2.0 does not mean it automatically supports 1.1 (without drivers). The chip must support 1.1 indipendently from 2.0 support.
Even if 1.1 isn't the only requirements it's a must have feature to make iPad works regardless USB Hub used.

Looking at HiFace2 and Matrix SPDIF specs the only mentioned compatibility is compilant to USB 2.0 specs.
Some products are specified both at 1.1 and 2.0, some don't even mention any compilant specs but works like my iBasso D7 (Xmos XS1-L1 inside).
There are a few Xmos chips versions so each need to be checked, but XS1-L1 generally works (never at 176.4Khz even using a computer with ASIO driver or a firmware update).

May 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #703 of 963
Quick updates

(1) The Matrix USB-SPDIF (24/96) coax out WORKS with the following set up: iPad mini > CCK > Matrix USB-SPDIF. No additional power is needed, although it also works with a powered hub or the UNITECH Y-cable. I cant really tell if the iPad mini charges (or even discharges slower) when connected to power through the CCK. Any thoughts?

(2) The Peachtree Audio t1 (24/96) coax out WORKS with the following set up: iPad mini > CCK > Powered Hub (or Unitech Y-cable) > Peachtree t1.

I should also mention that the support people at Matrix (US division) and Peachtree were super helpful.

Thraex - thanks again for leading the charge on this issue.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #704 of 963
The Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo and Fostex HP-P1 are portable DACs with an S/PDIF out, and you just connect any 30-pin or Lightning iPod cable to them.  The Nuforce Icon iDo is a desktop digital dock with coax S/PDIF out, and again you just connect any 30-pin or lightning USB cable into it.  No CCK needed.  The upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8 will have optical digital output, and again you can use any 30-pin or lightning cable to connect to your iDevice.

The Cypher Labs is only a DAC.  The HP-P1 also has an amp and DAC built-in, as does the iDo and M8.

Did the end prototype have optical digital output? The reason why I am asking is it would be really nice to be using an iPhone or an iPad to it and then be able to stream into another external DAC, to use it as a sort of lightning connector to sp/dif converter

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #705 of 963
I got the HiFace Two usb/spdif converter to work with my iPad 1 today. The problem isn't the iPad or the HiFace, it's the apple CCK. I replaced it with "Card Reader + Hub" I bought on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-Camera-Connection-Kit-SD-Card-Reader-3-USB-HUB-Keyboard-For-iPad-1-2-3-/161032835500?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

My externally powered HiFace Two was immediately recognized and shows up in the airplay menu as M2Tech USB 2.0 Audi...

The same hub is connected to a USB hard drive. With iFile on my jailbroken iPad I can play 24 bit files from the hard drive through the HiFace to the coax input of my Emotiva DAC with no problem.

Here are links to 3 photos showing the setup, if anybody cares.

http://cl.ly/image/2s2Q0S2R2n0k

http://cl.ly/image/0r0L2B1H0S1u

http://cl.ly/image/2o120S0Q1V1j

Anyway someone should finally put the HiFace Two on the list of iPad friendly devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back