List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #572 of 963
Hi again!Thank you all for all the info that you provided. 
biggrin.gif

I was lurking the web for the past week and I've decided that I don't need 24/96 playback and I will be just fine with 16/44,since almost all my music library is FLAC 16/44.Now,when I transfer the music to the Ipad I have to convert it first to the ALAC and then transfer it VIA iTunes.So I was thinking on getting the iStreamer + FLAC Player (app) and hook it up to the AMP.Will this be a good idea?Has anyone tried this?Is the iStreamer any good or should I just go with CCK+DAC? 
confused.gif

Thank you!
smile.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #573 of 963
Unless someone has tried it already and it works, there's a small chance a Made for iPod DAC might not work with a third-party music player app, as digital transports didn't work with Rockbox (not unexpected given the design of the Classic-type iPod), and even in the iOS era some like the NuForce iDo only work with iTunes and as a consequence only the associated files

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #574 of 963
Thank you for the input.
smile.gif

I contacted the HRT support team for some answers but I didn't get a reply yet (1 week).

So what you are saiyng is that the CCK+DAC (ex. CA DacMagic 100) is the "safest" way to transmit digital signal from the ipad using a 3rd party app?Even if I only need FLAC 16/44?

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #575 of 963
Quote:
Thank you for the input.
smile.gif

I contacted the HRT support team for some answers but I didn't get a reply yet (1 week).

So what you are saiyng is that the CCK+DAC (ex. CA DacMagic 100) is the "safest" way to transmit digital signal from the ipad using a 3rd party app?Even if I only need FLAC 16/44?

Assuming it's confirmed that it works with the iPad (I can't see it on the list on the first page, must have missed it there or elsewhere), yes, because with DACs like this the iPad+CCK basically functions much like a laptop/computer in streaming the audio.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #576 of 963
Thank you again for the infos,ProtegeManiac!
smile.gif

I think it is compatible,it is listed the second in the "Confirmed Works".

One more question,if I get an Apple TV and I connect it to the DAC>AMP>Spkrs,Hdphns and stream ALACs VIA AirPlay,will the sound quality be affected?All I want is lossless 16\44.1 in stereo only so I will disable the Dolby Digital function found in the Apple TV.

Also,when I run out of GBs on the iPad,I was thinking of buying a Wi-Drive and store some of my music on it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #577 of 963
Oct 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #578 of 963
Quote:
Thank you again for the infos,ProtegeManiac!
smile.gif

I think it is compatible,it is listed the second in the "Confirmed Works".

Don't mention it; and I must have just missed it when I scanned  that page.

Quote:
One more question,if I get an Apple TV and I connect it to the DAC>AMP>Spkrs,Hdphns and stream ALACs VIA AirPlay,will the sound quality be affected?All I want is lossless 16\44.1 in stereo only so I will disable the Dolby Digital function found in the Apple TV.

Also,when I run out of GBs on the iPad,I was thinking of buying a Wi-Drive and store some of my music on it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Not by the DAC, but the limitations if any of the Apple system. AFAIK if all you have is 16/44.1 then that won't change since that's PCM standard, but I'm not sure if there are other factors regarding the streaming of the audio file through that network. I'd assume most likely there isn't, but still go through the threads here. I think there are a couple of comprehensive write-ups about setting up network audio, one for the dedicated hi-fi network audio devices, and another one for Apple products.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #579 of 963
Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to report my recent funny discovery of yet another USB audio device, perfectly working with iPad2 via CCK: Logitech Z-10 USB speakers. While not precisely the type of devices discussed in this thread, this is still perfectly eligible to be mentioned here, as what it really is is a USB DAC/Amp inside a speaker cabinet.

The device works fine via CCK, playing all sorts of tracks (including basic MP3s via iPad standard Music app, and all sorts of lossless FLACs and ALACs via Capriccio).

But more importantly, there's a very high level of compatibility of additional functions: its playback control sensor buttons (play/pause, Prev and Next) are fully functional and control the iPad playback in either of the two apps I tried. The iPad volume control controls the volume of Z-10, with respective indication  on the speaker's display. Vice versa, the Z-10 sensor volume controls control iPad volume with respective indication. Mute button also works fine.

The only thing that does not work is the extended functions of the LCD display, such as track name and other tagged information.

I don't know what kind of DAC is used in the Z-10, but I can responsibly say that the sound quality is much better with digital connection via CCK, compared to analog line-out connection via Apple iPad2 original dock with line out (LOD).

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #581 of 963
I am bummed, the Firestone Bravo (ac-powered) USB to spdif converter doesn't work with the CCK.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #582 of 963
However, the USB input of the Schiit Gungnir works beautifully with the iPad's CCK :beerchug:

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #584 of 963
Has anybody had any luck with getting digital audio out of the iPad with an HDMI to Spdif adapter?

If used with the Apple Digital A/V Adapter (instead of the CCK), the iPad could theoretically be charged while outputting digital audio:

There's a thread about these converters, it never really went anywhere (HDCP issues?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/520782/something-new-hdmi-to-spdif-converter

It seems that there are cheap Chinese "take your chances" units for ~$50, and "reputable" units for ~$200 (sample pictured above). And no guarantee that they will work with an iPad in this fashion.

In the above-mentioned thread it says that when the HDMI is outputted from some tablets the tablet screen goes blank, but this does not seem to be the case with the iPad.

The Apple Store reviews seem somewhat inconclusive, but their Digital A/V Adapter seems designed to mirror.
:confused_face(1):

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #585 of 963
I'll have an AT&T iPad mini with lightning to USB connector kit in about 3 weeks.  Hopefully I'll be able to plug in a USB DAC like my Pico DAC, but I suspect it will only work with keyboards or cameras now that Apple is pushing their licensing for encrypted digital data conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back