List of DACs that work with iPad
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #451 of 963
Quote:

The Powerbook's battery doesn't last very long and it's maxxed out at 1.25 GB RAM so it's a bit lacking as a computer. But with full internet/iTunes/Pure Music functionality, plus the CD drive and keyboard/screen/optical spdif it's a pretty full-featured music server.

Oh, got it. Well, I'm planning to use my old laptop via USB into the Cantate, plus the iPad as a remote and e-reader, to hold me over until I get a proper music server. In any case I still listen without multitasking, so the quick start on the iPad is something I'll always like about it until I get a music server.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #454 of 963
Quote:

Just a sidenote on the music server, I recently got a Synology NAS and I'm using the iPad to control the iTunes server on there.  To continue proving that I put my foot in my mouth asking "who uses the iPad with a powered Hub & DAC" I'm using it more and more for everything, since it can control almost everything in my house now.  So it's not such a "hassle" to throw the DAC on it relative to hauling out my laptop. 

Not to mention it feels good not to reboot the computer when I'm home from work. Somehow an iPad feels less "worklike".

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #455 of 963
I hope someone can clarify something for me. Does the CCK provide digital out or does it act as an LOD? If it does act as a digital out then does it defeat the purpose of a Algorhythm Solo or Fostex HP-P1. My understanding was that the CLAS and Fostex were the only devices that provided digital out. Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #456 of 963
With the CCK it does defeat the purpose of those other devices, but with limitations. Like your DAC must have it's own power source, be connected to a powered hub or dr. bott hub, or consume very little power.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #457 of 963
Quote:
With the CCK it does defeat the purpose of those other devices, but with limitations. Like your DAC must have it's own power source, be connected to a powered hub or dr. bott hub, or consume very little power.

Thank for the quick response. I've started experimenting with some battery powered USB DACs that I have here and ran into a bit of a problem.

I started playing some 24/96 FLAC files with FLAC Player to see if they are decoding at that rate, but cannot get the app to display the rate along with the Hardware decode rate which some folks have posted here and on other sites online. Maybe the newest FLAC Player version removed this feature? Thanks again.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #458 of 963
Sorry, not really up on FLAC through an iPad.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #460 of 963
Jul 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #461 of 963
Just FYI, saw this over at Computer Audiophile regarding the iPad, CCK, and the Audioquest Dragon Fly:

"The headphone amplifier is 125mw unit so it's pretty hefty for such a small size. Because of the power required for the amplifier/line + analog volume control we could not keep the current draw below the iPad minimum for use with the Camera Connection kit.

Thanks
Gordon"

Anyone try it with a powered hub though?  From those power requirements, I would hazard a guess that it wouldn't run/be recognized with Dr. Bott's in the signal path. (?)

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #463 of 963
This does the trick for me, maintaining some semblance of portability with the iPad:
http://www.amazon.com/T3Hub-USB-2-0-Hub-Black/dp/B00170O2Q0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342799917&sr=1-2&keywords=T3+hub

The HRT Headstreamer works with it but it didn't sound good with the iPad even though it sounds great with my Macs (iMac, MB Air, MB Pro)
But the Berringer UCA202/UCA222 works fine.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #464 of 963
I take that back. I just tried the Headstreamer with the T3 hub again on the iPad and it sounds great! Must have been a glitch before.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #465 of 963
Has anyone tried the Audio-gd NFB-16 (with built-in battery)? Will it work without a powered USB hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back