List of DACs that work with iPad
Apr 11, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #406 of 963

Quote:
Seems to me that you would need to use the  [size=small]dockStubz in series with the CCK (CCK first then dockStubz).  Inject the extra power via the mini usb connection on the side of the stub.  Is this your set-up?[/size]

[size=small] That would not be possible, have in mind that if I connect the CCK to the iPad I will not be able to connect the dockStubz as the CCK's female usb does not match the dockStubz male apple connection.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Anyway you gave me a good idea of using both CCK and dockStubz that I did not try assuming that the docktubz gets only power from the micro-usb connection and power plus data from the apple connection. Have a look to the image below.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I will give it a try tonight, thanks for the idea![/size]

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #408 of 963
Yeah, perhaps I'm not reading your issue correctly, but the mini-USB connection is only to add power to your iPod, not transfer data.  The dockStubz appears only to be pin converter.  You still need a CCK to connect your USB device...  

At least that's how I read it, I don't have one.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #409 of 963

Just some info for the community since you guys have helped me so much.

iBasso D6 works with CCK directly without powered USB. Its iPad 3, D6 on battery mode.

Notice that the iPad doesn't have the music volume select part...i think that means that the volume part is done by the D6 right?

On the other hand, the person who sold me the D6 told me that in this case the D6 only works as an amp and not a DAC/Amp combo...

Can someone clarify?

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #410 of 963

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps I'm not reading your issue correctly, but the mini-USB connection is only to add power to your iPod, not transfer data.  The dockStubz appears only to be pin converter.  You still need a CCK to connect your USB device...  

At least that's how I read it, I don't have one.

[size=small] I have to admit that you are 100% correct and after my last test (image in my previous post) I confirm that the dockStubz cannot charge the iPad using the micro-usb connection. I already started the return process to Amazon UK as they clearly state "additional mini USB port for additional charging current (iPad)" which is not true.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I will have to go back to the CCK setup which is not bad but I found it less elegant that the dockstubz one.[/size]

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #411 of 963

Quote:

Just some info for the community since you guys have helped me so much.

iBasso D6 works with CCK directly without powered USB. Its iPad 3, D6 on battery mode.

Notice that the iPad doesn't have the music volume select part...i think that means that the volume part is done by the D6 right?

On the other hand, the person who sold me the D6 told me that in this case the D6 only works as an amp and not a DAC/Amp combo...

Can someone clarify?

Interesting. I am not sure how we could know for sure. How is the sound? 
Its true that when I dock my Ipad 3 and use analog line out on the dock I cannot adjust volume on the ipad but at the same time I cannot adjust it when its docked to my digital Onkyo dock. So if it doesn't have adjustable volume control that by itself doesn't mean only analog is in use.
I doubt there are any analog sounds passing through a USB cable so i believe DAC on the D6 is in use.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #412 of 963
My understanding was that the dockStubz would supply the additional power necessary to "trick" the iPad and not display the low power error message when connected to DAC's requiring  more current.  I am waiting to receive mine and test with several DAC's.  I always understood the CCK was needed to extract the digital signal and inform the iPad that at least some "approved" device was connected.  Will test and report back when received. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #413 of 963
I also believe that the DAC is used to for the same reasons...that the CCK only supplies digital out.

A bit of hiss at higher levels for me. Slightly better than stock iPad out with the JH13s. I guess the word to describe it is "precise". All my music sounds more precise with it, piano sounds like piano, guitar - i can hear the strings being strummed and so on. Soundstage had some slight improvements. But its not burnt in fully yet, so i cant comment much.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #414 of 963

Quote:
My understanding was that the dockStubz would supply the additional power necessary to "trick" the iPad and not display the low power error message when connected to DAC's requiring  more current.  I am waiting to receive mine and test with several DAC's.  I always understood the CCK was needed to extract the digital signal and inform the iPad that at least some "approved" device was connected.  Will test and report back when received. 

[size=small] I am sorry to say that, unless my dockStubz was defective, the micro-usb connection cannot give enough power to the iPad. My experiencie:[/size]
[size=small] - If I connect the HRT Streamer II+ to the iPad via the CCK I get the "not enough power" message.[/size]
[size=small] - If I connect the HRT Streamer II+ to the iPad via the dockStubz + CCK I get the "not enough power" message.[/size]
[size=small] - If I connect the HRT Streamer II+ to the iPad via the dockStubz + CCK connecting the docStubz micro-usb port to the power outlet, I get the "not enough power" message. When connecting the docStubz micro-usb port to the power outlet I hear the iPad sound like if it was charging but the battery icon does not change, like when you connect the iPad to an USB port in your computer.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Will be looking forward to your report anyway, let's see if you are luckier than me.[/size]

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #415 of 963
I refuse to pay $600 to ALO for the Solo.  In a world of overpriced audio this device is obscenely priced.  Seems they think they have a monopoly on the technology...but not for long!

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #416 of 963
I refuse to pay $600 to ALO for the Solo.  In a world of overpriced audio this device is obscenely priced.  Seems they think they have a monopoly on the technology...but not for long!

It is pricey, but to be fair they have a nice built in DAC section as well. That opens up a lot of possibilities since you can pair it with any portable amp. There aren't very many portable amps which also feature SPDIF inputs... So I view the CLAS as an expensive but useful device.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #417 of 963
Compare the Solo cost/performance with a CCK and a iBasso D6...that's about $315 vs. $580.  You get not only a quality DAC but a terrific amplifier also.  Easy choice in my book...

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #418 of 963

Quote:
Can you confirm that the iBasso D2+ will work off the iPad2 with CCK WITHOUT the need for a powered USB hub? Apparently, the D12 won't....

It does work, D2+ and also the D6 will work with the camera connection kit, however sometimes (mostly with the D6), the iPad needs to be restarted for the DACs to work, a tip i found is that turn the amps on first before plugging it into the camera connection kit.

sorry for the late reply, havent been following posts for a while haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back