List of DACs that work with iPad
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #392 of 963

Quote:
Hey Larry did you possibly try the dacport and ipad with the latest ios 5.1?
How long does the battery last?

I haven't tried it yet because I have been using my iPod Nano > Nuforce iDo coax out > DACmini coax input lately.  This our digital source sounds just like using the Macbook USB > DACmini, without the bulk of the iPad or Macbook.

I'll see if at some point (hopefully not too far away) I can take my fully charged iPad 3 with iOS 5.1 and play through the CCK into DACmini, to test the sound and the battery life.  I suspect with the screen off I should get at least 10 hours of music from it without resorting to a powered hub.  I'm going to be compiling my DACmini impressions into a review on the products page, and this test can be part of that when I get the time.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #393 of 963
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #395 of 963

Quote:
Hey Larry did you possibly try the dacport and ipad with the latest ios 5.1?
How long does the battery last?

I'm no Larry, but with my experience for iPad 3 with 5.1, the battery life is excellent.  I've listened to music for 2 hours and it went from 100%->99%, for example.  Since we have to use USB Hub, there isn't much power drawn from iPad.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #396 of 963
I'm no Larry, but with my experience for iPad 3 with 5.1, the battery life is excellent.  I've listened to music for 2 hours and it went from 100%->99%, for example.  Since we have to use USB Hub, there isn't much power drawn from iPad.

Thanks for sharing! I was hoping I wouldn't need to use a usb hub so I have an ipad rig completely independent from power source for travel use.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #397 of 963
Just tossing my 2cents and experience in.  Apogee One works great with iPad 3 (new iPad, whatever).  I'm using this little guy: Gear Head 4 Port USB Hub. It's powered by a second USB cable.  That is, it draws power from a USB A to it's Coax pin in the Hub.  It's the first time I'd ever seen a USB to Coax cable, but works great.  The hub is very thin and smaller than a Tic-Tac can.
Since I'm already always carrying some USB charging plug, I just plug the hub into that (car cigarette outlet, wall, whatever).  Easy to find a coax-->wall wart sans the USB middle from Radio Shack too if you want.  Also, I have a Solar USB charger with built-in battery.  So, I could use this setup without the grid.  Though that's getting into enough cables that I should just buy the Fostex. 

So you have the iPad 3 > Camera Connection USB Kit > Gear Head Hub > USB A to USB B micro/Apogee + USB A to Coax Power on Hub.  

Haven't tried running this in reverse yet with recording, however...

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #398 of 963
PS. It appears there's a larger Gear Head hub too. That one, however, runs off wall-wart power. Just to be clear in case someone wanted more ports but the same setup, they'd have to find another hub or check to see if the same USB-coax would substitute for the wall-wart equipped larger unit. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #399 of 963
Wouldn't it make sense that this adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A outputs digital audio? Just need to find a HDMi to usb cable. Or it isn't so easy as it sounds?

Look at the connector that goes into the ipad how bulky it is. I think the chip that allows digital out is there so maybe all you need is another 30pin to usb cable.

or this perhaps:
I would only need to reterminate it to cinch.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #400 of 963
Wouldn't it make sense that this adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A outputs digital audio? Just need to find a HDMi to usb cable. Or it isn't so easy as it sounds?

Look at the connector that goes into the ipad how bulky it is. I think the chip that allows digital out is there so maybe all you need is another 30pin to usb cable.

or this perhaps:
I would only need to reterminate it to cinch.

Too complicated. Everything must be HDCP compliant. The HDMI cable is full digital so you need to some how pull the audio off of it while doing the whole HDCP handshake. It's not as easy as pulling a few wires from the HDMI cable.

Found this:

the HDMI spec...mainly for two reasons IMO. One, it is a very expensive license and only the a/v mfgers can sell enough to justify it. And two, as an audiophile standard it is not well designed, with jitter issues, noise issues, etc. Supposedly hurried and put together mostly as a means to simplify digital cabling in a/v, HDMI is not the vehicle for great audio. The HDMI ports you see on a few audiophile-type DACs (PS Audio, for example) are not really spec HDMI but instead other signals (I2S, etc) using the same connector in a proprietary fashion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #402 of 963
Thanks for this info Alfa!
Maybe this could work:

What is that? All I can see is USB. Is there HDMI?

Edit. It's the W4S DAC-2. Nope it won't work. They are using the HDMI jack for I2S input:
1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/457975

The USB probably doesn't work either. I would recommend not using that product with an iPad

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #403 of 963

Quote:
Anyone have success with this device and the iPad 3 with any DAC?  Seems like this is the ticket...

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

Adds power via USB port. Might work.

[size=small]Yesterday I got my [/size][size=small]dockStubz[/size][size=small] from Amazon[/size][size=small] and I could not make it work at all with my iPad 1 and HRT Streamer II+ (Camera connection kit works perfectly using a powered USB hub or external battery plus USB-Y). I could not synchronize my iPad neither so I start to think that my dockStubz was defective as the cablejive website clearly states that it support data pass through otherwise the micro-usb connection does not make sense:[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] ....................[/size]
[size=small] 30-pin Pass-Through

dockStubz passes all functionality through to your iPad, iPhone, or iPod. Anything your iPod does when directly attached to your accessory, will also work when connected using the dockStubz. Listen to audio, watch video, record a memo, charge, sync, control your device, and more.
[/size]
[size=small] ....................[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I will wait for somebody else to post experiences here before I return it sadly to Amazon.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cheers[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #404 of 963
I kept forgetting that the BW MM-1 Speakers I got for use with my iMac came with a built in DAC but finally got around to testing them with the iPad/CCK - worked without a hitch (unsurprising since the speakers have a separate power supply, but still).

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #405 of 963
Seems to me that you would need to use the  [size=small]dockStubz in series with the CCK (CCK first then dockStubz).  Inject the extra power via the mini usb connection on the side of the stub.  Is this your set-up?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back