List of DACs that work with iPad
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #331 of 963

Quote:
I am still waiting for my Tekkeon MP1860A to arrive so I can test my DACport and iPad. Have the CCK but need the power!

Well I finally got all of my components together and can now confirm the DACport works without having to change the firmware.  My setup is as follows;

iPad 2
CCK
Tekkeon MP1860A
CEntrance DACport
Sennheiser HD650

Playing 16/44.1 AIFF files managed through iTunes. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #333 of 963
It is just me?? just got my camera connection kit today and hooked it up with my ipad2 and D2+....seems to sound better than through my mac book pro..with Amarra

Can you confirm that the iBasso D2+ will work off the iPad2 with CCK WITHOUT the need for a powered USB hub? Apparently, the D12 won't....

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #334 of 963
Just a quickie question since my family got me an iPad2 for Christmas because they thought I was a poor (and really cheap) bloke for using an iPod video (a diyMod actually). Needless to say I honestly know little about running iOS. 

1) If the latest firmware updates can run the iPad2 as a USB host, does that mean I can get the HDP and skip the iDo? Or do I still need the iDo? (Which basically means the iDo is really more for the Touch and Classic?)

2) If I can skip the iDo, then basically I could use a powered hub with a lot of other USB input DAC+Amp, right? If so, can I use the Apple iPad dock to hold it upright and for cable management, ie, the iPad dock wouldn't have any chips in the path from the iPad dock out to any port (USB) on the dock that will interfere with it operating properly with the DAC+Amp?

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #336 of 963

Quote:
Just a quickie question since my family got me an iPad2 for Christmas because they thought I was a poor (and really cheap) bloke for using an iPod video (a diyMod actually). Needless to say I honestly know little about running iOS. 

1) If the latest firmware updates can run the iPad2 as a USB host, does that mean I can get the HDP and skip the iDo? Or do I still need the iDo? (Which basically means the iDo is really more for the Touch and Classic?)

2) If I can skip the iDo, then basically I could use a powered hub with a lot of other USB input DAC+Amp, right? If so, can I use the Apple iPad dock to hold it upright and for cable management, ie, the iPad dock wouldn't have any chips in the path from the iPad dock out to any port (USB) on the dock that will interfere with it operating properly with the DAC+Amp?

1) I have no direct experience with the HDP/iPad combo, but I assume it should work. May or may not require the hub.

2) Yes, and yes. The dock shouldn't interfere. Though I have to qualify that by saying there are tons of brands who make similar docks (usually cheap ones) and you never know which ones will have some extra crap inside that would cause problems. But the Apple version definitely works. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #337 of 963
@project86,

Thanks! I was thinking of the possible issue with Apple docks though because I think there are a few versions from Apple - the ones with the remote and volume control, I think - that have issues with mostly anything an audio enthusiast would like to try with these devices that the general public wouldn't. In any case, at least now I have a possible system that could hold me over until music servers mature in design and drop in price - Olive and Musical Fidelity are too darned expensive!

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #338 of 963
The genuine Apple dock should work but I tried some no-name dock which did not work with the CCK at all.

Quote:
@project86,

Thanks! I was thinking of the possible issue with Apple docks though because I think there are a few versions from Apple - the ones with the remote and volume control, I think - that have issues with mostly anything an audio enthusiast would like to try with these devices that the general public wouldn't. In any case, at least now I have a possible system that could hold me over until music servers mature in design and drop in price - Olive and Musical Fidelity are too darned expensive!

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #340 of 963

Quote:

Yes, you can use the HDP with the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. I'm using it myself, sounds fantastic. I'm using my HDP with a small 4 port hub, the hub doesn't have to be plugged in to the wall wart. The only "issue" is that you can't stream 24/96 files with this setup...

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #341 of 963
FLAC Player (http://hammockdistrict.com/flacplayer/) should be able to stream 24/96, I suppose.

Quote:

Yes, you can use the HDP with the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. I'm using it myself, sounds fantastic. I'm using my HDP with a small 4 port hub, the hub doesn't have to be plugged in to the wall wart. The only "issue" is that you can't stream 24/96 files with this setup...

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #342 of 963
@project86,

Yeah that was the case for the older docks, but since I'm not really into tablets (I'm more of a smartphone+laptop kind of guy) I really had no idea about how the iPad dock works; but now at least I think I'm on the right path through this system overhaul.

@kobra,

Great to hear it works, I think I'm confident enough to just get the M1-HPA (pending an audition at the local dealer), since I can skip the iDo or i20). If the DAC on the M1 is my kind of 16-bit sound (mostly neutral, slightly warm), I might use just the iPad as my only source until real music servers drop in price.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #343 of 963
Does the Fiio E10 work with IPad 2?

Tried with iPad 1 running on 4.2.3 OS and it doesnt work, it says require too much power. Same thing happened with HM602

I'm not sure if it is stated here but the CEntrance DACmini works perfectly, the volume bar on the ipad even has CEntrance DACmini written in it

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #344 of 963
Tried with iPad 1 running on 4.2.3 OS and it doesnt work, it says require too much power. Same thing happened with HM602
I'm not sure if it is stated here but the CEntrance DACmini works perfectly, the volume bar on the ipad even has CEntrance DACmini written in it

I think the IPad 2 with iOS 4.3.5 should work, with an extended battery life, why not?

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #345 of 963
RME Fireface UCX will have a dumb mode that will work the iPad.  It was just announced at NAMM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back