List of DACs that work with iPad
Dec 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #316 of 963

Quote:
Hi again John,
Usually for converting FLAC files to AIFF i use Max or the built-in converter from amarra mini.
The method i used who gave me the issues i reported was with the FLAC player app installed in iPad, added 2 or 3 albums to test (browsed via the apps tab), connected the hp-p1 to the iPad and the outcome was an inaudible sound. I didn't test with the ckk because i don't have here any usb to usb to connect it.
But the only way to play 24/88 or 24/96 files is through the FLAC player isn't it?
Iv'e tried to sync the AIFF HR files from my music library to the iPad and got sync errors.
Am i thinking correctly?
Happy Xmas!

That's strange. FLAC Player should be able to handle that just fine. Maybe try one of the other programs I listed? A lot of them are free. If it happens with all of them then you either have an issue with your P1 or else maybe something with the files themselves.

AIFF should work by importing it to iTunes. It didn't used to work a few years back but now it does. Maybe update iTunes? Google search shows others have had the same issue but you should be able to figure it out. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #317 of 963
Alll my music is imported in AIFF format to iTunes, with that i don't have a problem, whenever it's redbook or HR files, what i' saying is that i can't sync them with the iPad (above 16/44), always get the error message.
So, like i said in my previous post, i tried to add some FLAC folders via the FLAC player and even so (only connected hp-p1 to the iPad), wasn't able to play them correctly (buzzing sounds, background noise, etc.)
All this without the ckk in between, tomorrow i'll get an usb to usb and will test to see if that's the missing link to properly playback.
What is strange is that i read somewhere (here in the forums) that iPad CAN handle 24 bit music in AIFF format within the iTunes library, which at this moment is far from true, at least for me...

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #318 of 963

Quote:
Alll my music is imported in AIFF format to iTunes, with that i don't have a problem, whenever it's redbook or HR files, what i' saying is that i can't sync them with the iPad (above 16/44), always get the error message.
So, like i said in my previous post, i tried to add some FLAC folders via the FLAC player and even so (only connected hp-p1 to the iPad), wasn't able to play them correctly (buzzing sounds, background noise, etc.)
All this without the ckk in between, tomorrow i'll get an usb to usb and will test to see if that's the missing link to properly playback.
What is strange is that i read somewhere (here in the forums) that iPad CAN handle 24 bit music in AIFF format within the iTunes library, which at this moment is far from true, at least for me...

Strange. The iTunes error has not happened for me. Nor has the distortion through FLAC Player, though I've only used the CLAS rather than the Fostex. 

I'm not really sure what to suggest next. I can assure you that it IS possible though. There must be some minor setting or issue that we are both overlooking.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #319 of 963
I have just read through this whole thread and cannot find anything explicitly written about iPad 2 support of 24-bit 96kHz files. I have a CEntrance DACport and via USB this supports 24/96. I have read on the CEntrance website that one needs to flash the firmware to limit this to 16/44.1 to work with the iPad, but I am thinking this is now old advice.

So my question, with the iPad now supporting 24/96 do I still need to flash the DACport firmware or will it now work natively?

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #320 of 963
You might have missed post number 314 amongst others that cover the first part of your question.  The iPad2 can support 24/96 with a CCK. 

I've not used the DACport, so I can't comment on what it might specifically need, but considering this capability is something that was more recently enabled it is entirely possible that it is indeed old advice.  Perhaps an email to CEntrance if no one pops up with specific answers...

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #321 of 963

Quote:
You might have missed post number 314 amongst others that cover the first part of your question.  The iPad2 can support 24/96 with a CCK. 

I've not used the DACport, so I can't comment on what it might specifically need, but considering this capability is something that was more recently enabled it is entirely possible that it is indeed old advice.  Perhaps an email to CEntrance if no one pops up with specific answers...

Yeah I didn't frame my question very clearly. I did see the iPdad support of 24/96 thus the reason I was asking about the DACport. It was the fact the iPad now dos support 24/96 that made me wonder about whether the firmware flash on the DACport is still necessary.

My question was that I didn't see anything explicit about this support with DACport.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #323 of 963

Quote:
Gotcha.  Seems like it should, right?  Hopefully someone will pipe up with some experience.

Yeah it does seem like it should work, but I have done some searches and cannot find anybody that has explicitly stated that it does. I am waiting on my CCK to be delivered tomorrow, so will just test myself, but was wondering if somebody else might have already done so.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #325 of 963
I'm new to the forum -- just picked up a Nuforce Icon HDP to run off an iPad2.  Everything works via the camera connection kit, except 24/96.  It can play 16/44 fine.  And, when I plug the HDP into my PC, it plays 24/96 fine.  Streaming 16/44 to the iPad is also fine.  But, streaming 24/96 does work for me.

I also loaded a 24/96 file onto the iPad (manually dragging it in iTunes), but no luck either. I experimented a bit.  If I disconnect the camera connection kit and start the 24/96 file playing, it will play fine through the iPad speaker.  Then if I plug in the CCK while the song is playing, it will play through the HDP for about a second and then silence.  The iPod music app will still keep playing the song but no more sound will come out of the HDP.  I tried different parts of the song to confirm I was actually hearing a second of the song instead of just some random popping or clicking due to plugging in the CCK.

Anyone else using an Icon HDP to play 24/96?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #327 of 963

[size=small] Hi there,[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Yesterday I got the CCK, connected my iPad 1 (CCKed) directly to my Matrix Quattro DAC and worked fine so one more DAC to add to the list. What I tested:[/size]
[size=small] - Matrix Quattro DAC[/size]
[size=small] - iPad 1 with iOS 5.0.1[/size]
[size=small] - Music (wav files), Flac Player (flacs), Golden Ear (cues), OPlayerHD Lite (mp3 via FTP), and DS Audio (mp3 via Synology NAS) applications[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] All applications work apparently the same and I had no issue. The volume control disappears and I see a "Volume not available" message showing that volume is controlled by the DAC.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Unfortunately my DAC does not display bit rate information, etc. Is there any way to check/know if these applications are streaming at 24/96 and if my DAC is not downsampling the stream?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cheers,[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]   Victor.[/size]

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #328 of 963
Someone may have already posted this but if not.......I just hooked up the new HRT Headstreamer to Ipad 1 via CCK and powered hub and works great.  They, of course, make the Istreamer already for I devices but this supports 24/96 and is a powered headphone amp for a more compact solution for those who don't  need passthrough to another amp etc.  It supposedly uses the same DAC as HRT II.  If it will work with Dr. Bott's T3 hub then it will be a nice portable solution.  I would like to see some comparisons with E10, D-zero etc..  For an asynchronous Usb DAC/Amp that works with Ipad and computer at this price point it may be the one to beat.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #330 of 963
I am still waiting for my Tekkeon MP1860A to arrive so I can test my DACport and iPad. Have the CCK but need the power!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back