LISA III Available for Order
May 18, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #871 of 1,070
Ok, ok, just this one time. Send it to me and I will snap some images of it for you. Real purty though.

May 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #873 of 1,070
Lisa III XP is thicker in size, has longer battery life, and is differently biased so in theory has better sound quality. I haven't listened to both versions of the Lisa side to side so can't give any opinion on actual sound quality for standard vs XP, however the Lisa III XP does IMHO beat every other amp in the same price bracket, easily!

May 18, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #875 of 1,070
They are biased the same now and sound the same. At first there was a bias difference.

May 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #876 of 1,070
The XP has a rechargeable battery pack. That's why it's thicker.

Question? Rechargeable batteries have a limit to their live span. What if the batteries in the pack will not be able to properly charge any more? Do you change the batteries? Or do you need the change the pack and if so were to buy a pack and how to change it?

May 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #877 of 1,070
I think the "pack" is a ton of AA's. Probably wrong though...

May 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #880 of 1,070
Once you have ordered the amp I'm sure you will find Triad Audio very helpful... I've certainly been impressed by their friendliness and great service. I haven't had a single issue or glitch with the amp since I got it, and have never had a moment of regret since I took it out of it's box about 6 months ago!

May 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #881 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XP has a rechargeable battery pack. That's why it's thicker.

Question? Rechargeable batteries have a limit to their live span. What if the batteries in the pack will not be able to properly charge any more? Do you change the batteries? Or do you need the change the pack and if so were to buy a pack and how to change it?

When we reach that point I guess we return to Triad for a paid replacement service... actually this is not too hard to do, so even if the worst came to the worst and somewhow Triad was not in business, someone here will be able to offer it as a service or at least give some detailed instructions. The only battery powered component I've kept for more than a couple of years is my iRiver H140, which is now just on it's third battery replacement after 5 years... and it uses Li-Polys, which have a much shorter lifespan than what I assume are Li-Ions or NiMHs in the Lisa III.

If it uses 12AAs, and we know the Lisa III runs off 18v-24v, then it's pretty clear that all 12 are wired up in series to produce a nominal 18v (12x1.5v).

By the time you need to replace the batteries, the capacities of rechargeable cells will have increased, so look on it as an exciting future upgrade!

May 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #882 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When we reach that point I guess we return to Triad for a paid replacement service... actually this is not too hard to do, so even if the worst came to the worst and somewhow Triad was not in business, someone here will be able to offer it as a service or at least give some detailed instructions. The only battery powered component I've kept for more than a couple of years is my iRiver H140, which is now just on it's third battery replacement after 5 years... and it uses Li-Polys, which have a much shorter lifespan than what I assume are Li-Ions or NiMHs in the Lisa III.

If it uses 12AAs, and we know the Lisa III runs off 18v-24v, then it's pretty clear that all 12 are wired up in series to produce a nominal 18v (12x1.5v).

By the time you need to replace the batteries, the capacities of rechargeable cells will have increased, so look on it as an exciting future upgrade!

Triad A intends to be around along time .. Good customer relations is a must

The battery pacs are under so little stress they will likely last for decades
they are 12 NiMHs in series, (no nipples, welded together)custom made for us

May 21, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #883 of 1,070
NiMh has higher charge cycles that Li-Ion or Li-Poly, so let's say a nominal 600 cycles.

Listening to the XP four hours a day, you're looking at a recharge every 12 days dependent on volume, phone impedance etc. So every year you have roughly 30 charges.

600/30 gives you 20 years!

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't still own any equipment from 20 years ago (except my Garrard 301 turntable Hadcock tonearm and Ortofon cartridge)...

Portable audio 20 years ago was a cassette walkman or a Sony discman! No audiophile headphones designed specifically for portable use, no portable amps or DACs!

In 20 years time we may all be listening to 48bit/192khz 8 channel lossless audio wired directly into our brains, so the Lisa III is likely to be a bit redundant!

May 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #884 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NiMh has higher charge cycles that Li-Ion or Li-Poly, so let's say a nominal 600 cycles.

Listening to the XP four hours a day, you're looking at a recharge every 12 days dependent on volume, phone impedance etc. So every year you have roughly 30 charges.

600/30 gives you 20 years!

Exactly!

May be this is why when Brad and Phil did the first woody prototype of LISA XP for me they created a nice, but totally sealed unit - because the battery will last so long and the design is so robust that there is no need to service it within my life time (and sure I won't be around after 20 years LOL)
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I won't worry about NiMH batteries replacement - there are quite a few alternatives in the market (esp. in Hong Kong). I am more worried about the use of Li rechargeables - like what we have in Pico, Diablo, and others - that future serviceability is a real concern.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back