Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #856 of 1,802
Tube rolling 101 - Learning How to Roll

Lesson 1 - Start with at least 4 or 5 sets of tubes with completely different signatures, and listen for several days or even weeks to each set, then compare.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #857 of 1,802
Tube Rolling 101 - Fun Fact for Today "House Sound"

Today's tube rolling fun fact, has to do with different sound signatures, and an easy way to find a few. It is well know in some circles, that country of origin plays a roll in the sound sig. For instance, German (Siemens) made tubes are generally known for their neutral sound with great top end extension, and UK (Mullard) made tubes are generally known for their warmth and killer bass. Of course there are exceptions, and that is why I said "generally". So, if I were trying to hear differences in tubes, I would try to get a few made in different countries.

Here is pic from one of the best tube dealers around, Vintage Tube Services, that does a really good job describing what I am talking about.
20200727_064914.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #858 of 1,802
Tube Rolling 101 - Fun Fact for Today

Today's tube rolling fun fact, has to do with different sound signatures, and an easy way to find a few. It is well know in some circles, that country of origin plays a roll in the sound sig. For instance, German made tubes are generally known for their neutral sound with great top end extension, and UK made tubes are generally known for their warmth and killer bass. Of course there are exceptions, and that is why I said "generally". So, if I were trying to hear differences in tubes, I would try to get a few made in different countries.

This last fact is most interesting to me! @Wes S You have an incredible wealth of tube knowledge and I believe we could all benefit from a consolidation of your posts or even a "Master List" of all your Fun Facts and Tube reviews! Maybe a Google Doc...similar to ZMF status list. Just a thought...no pressure :ksc75smile: :gs1000smile:

I really enjoy reading your tube reviews and have marked down way too many tubes to find, but like you say...its part of the fun. Tube hunting is a frustrating and fun extension of the hobby and has forced me to organize my setup a bit more!

One thing that I was curious about was your storage method...I have some pelican Ruck cases that I have been using, but I imagine they are going to fill up quickly.

Best

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #859 of 1,802
This last fact is most interesting to me! @Wes S You have an incredible wealth of tube knowledge and I believe we could all benefit from a consolidation of your posts or even a "Master List" of all your Fun Facts and Tube reviews! Maybe a Google Doc...similar to ZMF status list. Just a thought...no pressure :ksc75smile: :gs1000smile:

I really enjoy reading your tube reviews and have marked down way too many tubes to find, but like you say...its part of the fun. Tube hunting is a frustrating and fun extension of the hobby and has forced me to organize my setup a bit more!

One thing that I was curious about was your storage method...I have some pelican Ruck cases that I have been using, but I imagine they are going to fill up quickly.

Best
Thanks man! It is nice that someone appreciates all the time, effort and money, I have put into learning how to tube roll and sharing the experiences with others. I do plan to consolidate it all, and make a master list of sorts eventually, but for now I am going to continue sharing fun facts, and things I have learned along the way in this thread. I love this hobby, and it truly is a magical experience when you hear a "top tier" tube with a sound sig that matches your preferences.

As far as storage goes, I just keep them all in their boxes sitting upright in the drawers of my desk. I am quickly running out of drawer space though. . . 2 of the 3 are full. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #860 of 1,802
Tube Rolling 101 - Fun Fact for Today

Today's tube rolling fun fact, has to do with different sound signatures, and an easy way to find a few. It is well know in some circles, that country of origin plays a roll in the sound sig. For instance, German (Siemens) made tubes are generally known for their neutral sound with great top end extension, and UK (Mullard) made tubes are generally known for their warmth and killer bass. Of course there are exceptions, and that is why I said "generally". So, if I were trying to hear differences in tubes, I would try to get a few made in different countries.

Here is pic from one of the best tube dealers around, Vintage Tube Services, that does a really good job describing what I am talking about.
When Wes, not IF, you buy a tube amp, you will really have fun with all the combos of rectifiers, power and input tubes. I know you find that tubes make a big differnce in a tube hybrid amp but wait until you start rolling in a true tube amp!!!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #861 of 1,802
When Wes, not IF, you buy a tube amp, you will really have fun with all the combos of rectifiers, power and input tubes. I know you find that tubes make a big differnce in a tube hybrid amp but wait until you start rolling in a true tube amp!!!
I do have a tube amp, one OTL and one Hybrid, that I can hear the differences with tubes on, and enjoy the hell out of. So not sure what you are talking about, and frankly don't really care. Heckling someone because they know tubes and you don't, ges kind of annoying. Isn't there a ZMF Pendant thread? Check out all the rolling going on there.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #863 of 1,802
Anyone have a good roll in the Liquid Platinum lately? This is the tube rollers thread after all, so I thought I would share below a few pics of my favorites. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #864 of 1,802
Brimar CV4034 Long Plate O Getter 70'

20200728_040154.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #865 of 1,802
Hamburg Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter's 56'

20200718_193759.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #866 of 1,802
Sylvania 5814a Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 62'

20200712_111158.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #867 of 1,802
Raytheon 7730 Short Plate O Getter 63'

20200724_052110.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #868 of 1,802
Raytheon 7730 Short Plate O Getters 63'

20200724_052043.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #869 of 1,802
Valvo (Rebranded Bugle Boy) Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate D Getters 56'

20200721_114558.jpg

20200721_114542.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #870 of 1,802
More to come, on sound signatures of the tubes, and how they compare to each other, and my rankings for enjoyment, and then rankings for technical abilities.

Roll on my LP tube rolling friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back