Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #886 of 1,803
Tube Rolling 101 - Fun Fact for Today - "Value of Tubes"

So, has anyone noticed that tubes prices keep rising? I sure have and it makes since as the stock of these famous NOS tubes is slowly dwindling, the value of them keeps slowly rising. I have to say, that some of prices of the "Top Tier" NOS tubes these day are ridiculous! However, good deals can still be had, and it just takes a little skill and patience to find them. Let's talk about the price of last pair of "Top Tier" NOS tubes I just bought recently. The tubes in question, are a pair of NOS Hamburg Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getters 56', and they cost me $250 US dollars. Yikes, that sounds like a lot of money, and to put in an amp that only cost $650, you are probably thinking I am nuts. This might seem crazy to some, but not to me and here is why. First off, if you have ever heard what this tube can do, you might not think twice about the money. Secondly and the point I am trying to make, is that tubes are in investment, and can last for thousands of hours. So, let's say that on average a good NOS pair of 12AU7 tubes should last hopefully around 4,000 hours (I am low balling this number just to prove a point, and some are rated for up to 10,000 hours), and with the cost of $250 for the pair, that means the cost of listening to this tube would be about .06 cents per hour. So, when you break it down, and realize how much enjoyment you get for just .06 cents an hour, it kind of seems like a no brainer to me. :wink: So with that said, I say go for it before they get even more expensive. Life is short, so enjoy it while you can!

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #887 of 1,803
I have a thought that just might work. Take a tube you don't care much about and put a very small dab of super glue on the bottom of the tube, then press it down into the s.saver, then wait a few hours for it to cure and slowly pull. I imagine the socket savers might come out with the tube glued to it, then you can even pop off the tube and clean the glue off. This is just a thought I had, if I ever need to remove mine, that I will try. Obviously some glues are better than others for this task, and I would want the strongest glue in the smallest amount, if it were me. Maybe a Gorilla Glue product would do the trick?
Thanks for the idea, Wes.
If ALL else fails - I will seriously consider it...

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #888 of 1,803
Here is what I have been using to inch or the really deep socket savers, just did an LP for skooks that had very flush socket savers from TM. image.jpg
Takes a bit of time with slow even pressure but slowly they can be pushed up!

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #889 of 1,803
After modding an LP to add SILMIC II caps for a member I had to resort to removing the back panel and using a long taped screwdriver to gently pry up the socket savers. I'll be honest I don't really recommend socket savers on this amp unless you roll tubes a LOT.

Here is what I have been using to inch or the really deep socket savers, just did an LP for skooks that had very flush socket savers from TM.image.jpg

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #890 of 1,803
Here is what I have been using to inch or the really deep socket savers, just did an LP for skooks that had very flush socket savers from TM.image.jpg
Yup, that's the only way I could get the tough ones out using a taped tip on long screwdriver! Slow and patient.............and they will come out. Thankfully Monoprice changed the sockets and the newer ones still have a nice tight grip but not like the early version.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #891 of 1,803
I have to say I am really digging the 12au7's in the LP, and I have been meaning to give a big thanks to @TK16 for being the first one to take a risk and prove they work great, without issue. I am curious though if the amp is running the tubes harder or if the tubes are running the amp easier, seeing as the 12au7's gain is less than the 6922? Just curious if anyone knows.
Only took a year plus, now you understand why the 12AU7 and variants are highly recommended.

Guys you need to make sure the tubes are roughly 1,800 Gm or higher. Really low testing 12AU7 are noisy in the LP. Returned about 8 pairs for noise.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #892 of 1,803
Only took a year plus, now you understand why the 12AU7 and variants are highly recommended.

Guys you need to make sure the tubes are roughly 1,800 Gm or higher. Really low testing 12AU7 are noisy in the LP. Returned about 8 pairs for noise.
I was collecting "Top Tier" 12AU7's and testing them in my BHC all along, waiting to see if ya'll had issues (hence the year plus), and looks like it paid off. :wink: I have a bunch of killer tubes, and they sound amazing in my cap modded LP. So, thanks again for being the guinea pig!

Good to know about the low testing 12AU7's. Thanks man!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #893 of 1,803
Luckily, I don't plan on removing my adapters ever, as the 12AU7/5814/7730 are it for me. However, that's some great info @ksorota, for those trying to remove them.

On the subject of Tubemonger, one of their very special tubes is what's up next for today's tube rolling adventure. Tubemonger converted a Flying Leads Brimar CV4034 with a very clean look, and they feel well secured to the base. This tube is kind of obscure, but highly regarded by those who have heard it, and is in the top tier no doubt. These tubes are dead silent and have a pitch black background, and I bet they are gonna sound killer in the cap modded LP. :o2smile:

Brimar CV4034

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening!

So they put a plastic base on a 12AU7?

Pretty weird, as I've never seen a 12AU7 that comes with a base...lol

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #894 of 1,803
I have to say I am really digging the 12au7's in the LP, and I have been meaning to give a big thanks to @TK16 for being the first one to take a risk and prove they work great, without issue. I am curious though if the amp is running the tubes harder or if the tubes are running the amp easier, seeing as the 12au7's gain is less than the 6922? Just curious if anyone knows.

What's the plate voltage loaded onto 12AU7 in LP?

I don't have an LP, but it seems LP is not designed for 12AU7. If the plate voltage is too high, it will reduce the lifespan of 12AU7.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #895 of 1,803
So they put a plastic base on a 12AU7?

Pretty weird, as I've never seen a 12AU7 that comes with a base...lol
Yep, this was a Flying Leads tube, converted to a 9 pin. I think it's weird too, but they sure don't sound weird.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #896 of 1,803
What's the plate voltage loaded onto 12AU7 in LP?

I don't have an LP, but it seems LP is not designed for 12AU7. If the plate voltage is too high, it will reduce the lifespan of 12AU7.
Good question! I have no idea, and would love to know this myself. I do know, that several people have put thousands of hours on the LP with 12au7's, and they are going strong. However, I asked a similar question as yours in this very thread yesterday. I will say that if it is just a reduced life span on the tubes, and not the amp, who cares when they sound as good as they do together. Good thing is, I have backup sets to all my favorite tubes just in case. I know you know your stuff, so would love to know what you find out.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #898 of 1,803
Good question! I have no idea, and would love to know this myself. I do know, that several people have put thousands of hours on the LP with 12au7's, and they are going strong. However, I asked a similar question as yours in this very thread yesterday. I will say that if it is just a reduced life span on the tubes, and not the amp, who cares when they sound as good as they do together.

You can measure the plate voltages using a digital multimeter - remember how to check voltages in Crack? :beyersmile:

Check the voltage on pin 1 or pin 6.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #899 of 1,803
You can measure the plate voltages using a digital multimeter - remember how to check voltages in Crack? :beyersmile:

Check the voltage on pin 1 or pin 6.
I did not build my Crack. :wink: I am just a listener, and tube roller.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #900 of 1,803
@ksorota, has been inside the LP a bunch, and might be a better person to figure this out. I do have a digital multimeter, but I only use it for making cables and checking polarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back