Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #841 of 1,803
I have neither the money nor the patience (well, let's be honest, primarily the money since I'm retired on a fixed income) to roll anywhere near the number of tubes as some of you. I got the LP in May and rolled my first tubes this week--the easily available, not cheap but not too expensive NOS National (Matsushita) 7DJ8. They probably aren't really burned in yet and I'm not particularly good at describing sound. But though they are not night and day from the stock EH 6922s, they seem to sound a bit more smooth and enjoyable. My ZMF Aeolus, which is reasonably well burned in now, sounds terrific.

BTW, I suspect that Monoprice has made some running changes to the tube sockets on the LP. Or I got lucky with mine. After hearing all the horror stories about inserting and removing tubes on the LP, I had no real problem installing the stock tubes, then removing them and inserting the Matsushitas. Though given the limited space to work with, I have not tried tube savers yet or the adapters I used on the Valhalla 2 (which also uses 6922s and variants) for 2C51s and 5670s. If they did not come out with the tube (which they generally did on the Valhalla) I would hate to figure out how to remove them. (And in any case, Dr. Cavalli does not seem to really recommend using adapters for non-6922 variants.)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #842 of 1,803
Try E288CC tubes. Will fix all overpower issues from LP.
I have noticed that at volume 9 o'clock LP loud enough with HD800S and stock EH 6922
So, have rolled to Amperex E288CC.
And wooalla. Now, the sound knob is more controllable up to 2 o'clock range.
The tubes are taller and looks fantastic.
E288CC mu factor is lower, so, as result they are quieter.
What exactly I need.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #843 of 1,803
Jul 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #845 of 1,803
From memory I think the E288CC, could not be used in a Lyr2 or MJ2 due to higher heater current or something. The original Lyr was safe with the higher current. It will probably work but not recommended in LP or Schiit amp. IMO I think running adapter tubes would be safer then the E288CC.

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #847 of 1,803
But though they are not night and day from the stock EH 6922s, they seem to sound a bit more smooth and enjoyable.
My experience is not very different from yours, in the sense that many tubes have subtle differences between them.
Rarely night and day (IMHO of course).

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #848 of 1,803
My experience is not very different from yours, in the sense that many tubes have subtle differences between them.
Rarely night and day (IMHO of course).
Agree — the difference between my ‘most different’ tubes (Siemens CCa & Brimar CV-2492) is relatively small. I think this is ‘normal’ for tube-hybrid amps.

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #849 of 1,803
I think this is ‘normal’ for tube-hybrid amps.
Totally agree. I have an OTL amp, and tube differences there are much bigger.
The reason I mentioned it was in response to @Marlowe commenting difference was not night and day, and I think there is a somewhat unrealistic expectations by many to roll different tubes and get a totally different sound from them hybrid amp. I was in that position a few years ago when I rolled tubes in my first hybrid tube amp!
Trying to help others and make sure they know there is nothing wrong with their hearing... :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #850 of 1,803
...Trying to help others and make sure they know there is nothing wrong with their hearing... :)
If only that were true (for me).

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #851 of 1,803
Agree — the difference between my ‘most different’ tubes (Siemens CCa & Brimar CV-2492) is relatively small. I think this is ‘normal’ for tube-hybrid amps.
I am a LP fan and yes, there are differences but not huge as the LP is a tube hybrid amp. I have had 4 tube Hybrids, Vali 2, Garage 1217 Starlight, LP and T4 and now a ZMF Pendant. There is a bit more influence in swapping tubes (Power, rectifier and input) in the Pendant, particularly the input tube.

I am used to the LP's unique sound signature with ZMF VO as well as Empy's, and still find it a great amp paired with both of these hp.
IMO, it is a true audio bargain hybrid amp.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #852 of 1,803
i bought a pair of tungsram E88cc. they were really cheap US$50 for the pair gently used. What I did not expect is that they sound so amazing, transparent, detailed, better imaging yet remain musical. much better than the stock tubes. I am not sure whether i just got lucky or I just havent listen to good stuff yet. anyway I am hooked to the music for hours. I guess my real question is "does anyone have the same tubes and give me some idea how they compare to the popular one like Amperex PQ etc. I can't find anymore info from the box. thanks so much!

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #853 of 1,803
You guys are not rolling and comparing the right tubes, if you can't hear a difference, and especially after the cap mod. There are tubes that sound similar obviously, and if you compare them the differences are obviously going to be small. Try comparing a Mullard ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter 55' -57', to a Siemens Chrome Plate ECC82 or how bout a Telefunken ECC82 to a Amperex 7316/ECC82 Long Plate Foil D getter and I bet you hear a difference, and if not go by some GE tubes or better yet save some money and stick with the stock tubes. There is an art and skill to tube rolling, and I guess some have it and some don't. The good thing is, that you can learn if you are willing, and that's why I post about tubes and their sound sigs.

@TK16 - This is my current favorite tube, and it's not from Holland like it says printed on the tube. This tube makes the 7316 sound artificial, and I am not sure about my current all time favorite, but I will get back with ya on that one.

20200721_114558.jpg

20200721_114542.jpg

My current 12au7 rankings, for those that are interested and can hear the differences, will be coming shortly after I have heard the 7730 Long Plate Square and D Getter tubes.

Happy Rolling, Listening, and Hunting.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #854 of 1,803
I have neither the money nor the patience (well, let's be honest, primarily the money since I'm retired on a fixed income) to roll anywhere near the number of tubes as some of you. I got the LP in May and rolled my first tubes this week--the easily available, not cheap but not too expensive NOS National (Matsushita) 7DJ8. They probably aren't really burned in yet and I'm not particularly good at describing sound. But though they are not night and day from the stock EH 6922s, they seem to sound a bit more smooth and enjoyable. My ZMF Aeolus, which is reasonably well burned in now, sounds terrific.

BTW, I suspect that Monoprice has made some running changes to the tube sockets on the LP. Or I got lucky with mine. After hearing all the horror stories about inserting and removing tubes on the LP, I had no real problem installing the stock tubes, then removing them and inserting the Matsushitas. Though given the limited space to work with, I have not tried tube savers yet or the adapters I used on the Valhalla 2 (which also uses 6922s and variants) for 2C51s and 5670s. If they did not come out with the tube (which they generally did on the Valhalla) I would hate to figure out how to remove them. (And in any case, Dr. Cavalli does not seem to really recommend using adapters for non-6922 variants.)
The changed sockets has already been confirmed with pictures by @ksorota.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #855 of 1,803
That makes since as the differences between those 2 tubes are small, no matter what amp is being used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back