Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 24, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #826 of 1,803
Hey folks!

I have a special tube with me today, and I can confirm it sounds outstanding, and is a "Top Tier" tube no doubt.

Raytheon 7730 O Getter Short Plate

20200724_052043.jpg

This tube sounds like my Sylvania 5814a Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter and Valvo Hamburg ECC82 LP Foil D Getter had a baby, and the baby got the best traits of both.:wink: The bass impact, and overall PRAT of the Hamburg and clarity and balance of the Sylvania. This tube is a top tier tube no doubt man! The bass impact/texture and vocals are what really stand out, as well as the overall balance and the 3D stage. A killer tube no doubt!

20200724_052110.jpg

Happy rolling and hunting,

Wes
The 7730 is the gold standard so far in my brief tube rolling endeavors. I haven’t heard a better tube yet.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #827 of 1,803
@Wes S - how did you remove the Tube Monger socket savers before shipping your LP to @ksorota ? or did you used them for the first time AFTER you got your LP back?
My Tube Mongers look even more flush with the top than yours - see my photo below. I have asked Tube Mongers and they have no advice on how to remove the socket savers without damaging them... :frowning2:
Advice anyone?? VERY little grip, and VERY TINY gap around them, so using ANY tool would be a big problem!
Cannot open the case when they're in, and cannot figure out how to remove without destroying them. Anyone done so already?

Just an idea, haven't tried it: wrap thin string (tooth floss?) around the top ledge and twist the two ends around one another (like you're tying a knot, but don't tie a knot), until it grips the ledge. Use enough string so that you can pull on it. Then do it again, with the "knot" 180 degrees opposite the first "knot" Pull on both strings, so that the force is applied evenly on both sides. (Can do 3 or 4 wraps, too). ??

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #828 of 1,803
Just an idea, haven't tried it: wrap thin string (tooth floss?) around the top ledge and twist the two ends around one another (like you're tying a knot, but don't tie a knot), until it grips the ledge. Use enough string so that you can pull on it. Then do it again, with the "knot" 180 degrees opposite the first "knot" Pull on both strings, so that the force is applied evenly on both sides. (Can do 3 or 4 wraps, too). ??
I seriously doubt floss would be strong enough. I suspect floss would snap...
Having said that, unless I get other suggestions - I will try later with a floss.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #829 of 1,803
@Wes S - how did you remove the Tube Monger socket savers before shipping your LP to @ksorota ? or did you used them for the first time AFTER you got your LP back?
My Tube Mongers look even more flush with the top than yours - see my photo below. I have asked Tube Mongers and they have no advice on how to remove the socket savers without damaging them... :frowning2:
Advice anyone?? VERY little grip, and VERY TINY gap around them, so using ANY tool would be a big problem!
Cannot open the case when they're in, and cannot figure out how to remove without destroying them. Anyone done so already?

LP with socket savers.jpg

I have removed a few sets of these for people and yours are the most flush I have seen.

You can press on the lid which will flex a little bit and provide a little bit more area to grab onto. I have tried multiple things, but best (safest) option has been to apply painters or electrical tape to the top surface of the metal case around the tubes. Then wrap two small screwdrivers with either tapes and using opposing pressure gradually and slowly work the socket savers out.

So you will be using a combination of pressure on the top lid pushing down, while simultaneously pressing inwards on the socket savers with the two screwdrivers in a prying motion.

Once you have a little more clearance you can use channel locks (very linear pressure when set to the correct width) witch some painters tape (more textured than electrical) to remove the rest of the way. The channel lock step also requires solid pressure and patience. These things are tight.

One thing I have not yet tried, but thing would work would be to remove the 5 screws on the bottom of the case...these screws hold standoffs that support the board during tube insertion. Once the screws are gone, the board itself can flex up a bit and provide the extra bit of purchase to grab the savers with. Just use a small phillips head screwdriver to gently push from the bottom..it should not take much.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #830 of 1,803
Luckily, I don't plan on removing my adapters ever, as the 12AU7/5814/7730 are it for me. However, that's some great info @ksorota, for those trying to remove them.

On the subject of Tubemonger, one of their very special tubes is what's up next for today's tube rolling adventure. Tubemonger converted a Flying Leads Brimar CV4034 with a very clean look, and they feel well secured to the base. This tube is kind of obscure, but highly regarded by those who have heard it, and is in the top tier no doubt. These tubes are dead silent and have a pitch black background, and I bet they are gonna sound killer in the cap modded LP. :o2smile:

Brimar CV4034

20200724_112311.jpg

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening!

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #832 of 1,803
Intersting, my TM Brimars are CV4033 (12AT7) your CV4034 are 12AU7 and sold out.
There's a reason the CV4034 are sold out. . . this is the best tube I have rolled in the LP no doubt. The bass, transparency, and soundstage and overall balance are all on another level. The air and seperation in the mids and treble, is stunning. The highs have sparkle, and amazing decay. It is as if there is no limit to depth and width of the stage and especially the height. The vocals are big, while being front and center, and the singer is right in front of you. You can feel the emotion, and hear every detail in their voice. This is the best bass I have ever heard, and it hits hard and is the most detailed and textured bass, I have ever experienced. The overall dynamics, detail and clarity is to the max, while still be liquid smooth and fatigue free. Truly a magical experience!

I really hope Tubemonger gets this tube back in stock, so other's can enjoy this "endgame" sound.

Happy Rolling, Listening, and Hunting.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #833 of 1,803
I LOVE Wes S and his enthusiasm for the latest tube(s) he is rolling in the LP now that he has come to the Dark Side of 12AU7's!

I do, however, need a daily score card to keep track of what tube is now the BEST EVER in the TP!!!!!:yum:

BTW, the TM Brimar 4033 is pretty nice in the Pendant!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #834 of 1,803
... I do, however, need a daily score card to keep track of what tube is now the BEST EVER in the TP!!!!!:yum: ...
I think there’s an app for that :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #836 of 1,803
I LOVE Wes S and his enthusiasm for the latest tube(s) he is rolling in the LP now that he has come to the Dark Side of 12AU7's!

I do, however, need a daily score card to keep track of what tube is now the BEST EVER in the TP!!!!!:yum:

BTW, the TM Brimar 4033 is pretty nice in the Pendant!
There is a method to the order of my rolls, and often a reason why each one is better than the next. This is not my first rodeo, and I like to save "best" for last. :wink: Also, so far my number 1 "preferred" tube is still the Hamburg Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter's.

I don't doubt the CV4033 sounds killer in the Pendant, and lucky you! I can't wait to hear my Hamburg's and CV4034 in the Pendant once I finally get one. I can only imagine!

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #837 of 1,803
Yup, just found it at the Apple store: "What Is Wes S's TTTiLP" (Top Tube Today in LP)
I bet it says, Hamburg Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 56'.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #838 of 1,803
We are all a little kooky here, in regards to tube rolling, and sharing what WE like in a particular amp/preamp or with X or Y cans. It is also a moving target and what we felt was IT yesterday may not be so today.
This is one wacky obsession and that's why we are here!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #839 of 1,803
We are all a little kooky here, in regards to tube rolling, and sharing what WE like in a particular amp/preamp or with X or Y cans. It is also a moving target and what we felt was IT yesterday may not be so today.
This is one wacky obsession and that's why we are here!
Moving target? Hmm. . ., more like options for what mood I am in. I am not looking for one tube to do it all, I am looking for "top tier" tubes that have the NOS magic, and so far I have found a few, and described how they differ. I am using the exact same headphones, DAC and music to compare the tubes by the way, and I think this is helpful to share, in the tube rolling thread. My thoughts are that if you have heard one of the tubes I am describing, well then you can get an idea on how the other TOTL tubes I have shared compare. Stay tuned for the "last" 2 rolls (7730 Long Plate D & Bent Square getter) of the TOTL tube rolling marathon and how they compare to the others. These tubes are not easy to find, but there is a reson for this, and with patience they can still be found for reasonable amounts of money. For example, sometimes it can take years to find a tube, but for me that is part of the fun. Tube rolling and buying NOS tubes is becoming more and more challenging as the stocks are drying up, so get them while you can.

Happy, Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Wes

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #840 of 1,803
Moving target? Hmm. . ., more like options for what mood I am in. I am not looking for one tube to do it all, I am looking for "top tier" tubes that have the NOS magic, and so far I have found a few, and described how they differ. I am using the exact same headphones, DAC and music to compare the tubes by the way, and I think this is helpful to share, in the tube rolling thread. My thoughts are that if you have heard one of the tubes I am describing, well then you can get an idea on how the other TOTL tubes I have shared compare. Stay tuned for the "last" 2 rolls (7730 Long Plate D & Bent Square getter) of the TOTL tube rolling marathon and how they compare to the others. These tubes are not easy to find, but there is a reson for this, and with patience they can still be found for reasonable amounts of money. For example, sometimes it can take years to find a tube, but for me that is part of the fun. Tube rolling and buying NOS tubes is becoming more and more challenging as the stocks are drying up, so get them while you can.

Happy, Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Wes
So what is your all time favorite today bro? :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back