Linux users unite!
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #226 of 481
If you can't get UEFI than screw it I say. Just do legacy. It's a hassle on Windows as well, and heck that's what it was meant for in the first place.

Drivers? I hope you mean the kernel drivers and you're not doing anything weird like ndsiwrapper + windoze wireless drivers. I've never seen anyone have trouble with modern hardware and the stock vanilla configured kernel. In fact just last week I set up a Haswell UEFI build on a custom rig for someone. Perhaps you need to dig in and compile the options in on your own. Since you were going on Funtoo you'd have to do it anyways.

Sounds like you've been badly misguided by some unhelpfuls rather than anything else, really. Who's teaching you this crap? 
mad.gif
 Let's blame it on them.

Manjaro...I'm sure you've read this - http://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/yj2v5/a_new_guibased_version_of_arch_has_gone_live/

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #227 of 481
my Linux is really screwy... I could originally get mint to work. then had a screwed up funtoo install UEFI error... installed arch but I couldn't get Haskell configured and drivers were screwy, so I gotr manjaro, but it'd only boot into the grub editor, even after 3 different installs... and now mint won't install right...
frown.gif

UEFI is very tightly coupled with the booting process now (it recognizes the OSs), unlike the BIOS which only looked for a device to boot from. If you've made changes during those previous installs, its possible the entries in the UEFI-Bios have been changed. Remove any boot entries in the UEFI-BIOS, and try again.

I remember once the entry is written to the 2MB UEFI Partition, my UEFI-BIOS couldn't remove them. So I ended up using a command line utility to manually enter the entries. However, its possible newer releases fix this issue.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #228 of 481
my Linux is really screwy... I could originally get mint to work. then had a screwed up funtoo install UEFI error... installed arch but I couldn't get Haskell configured and drivers were screwy, so I gotr manjaro, but it'd only boot into the grub editor, even after 3 different installs... and now mint won't install right...
frown.gif

I have Manjaro set up in VirtualBox, actually, it's pretty nice, however I prefer Archbang, which I use as my main OS, mainly for being a quick and painless way to an Arch install. May be easy to install and may already come set up with a GUI, but as far as repos are concerned, it's vanilla Arch.

Tried Bridge in Vbox, no luck, kernel didn't get installed right. I also got Fedora 20 Alpha RC4 and Debian Sid VMs as well, both are really sweet, and I ran Fedora on my hardware for a few months before going to Archbang, and then Ubuntu for six months before that. Considered going to Sid a couple times while I was still in limbo as far as switching distros goes, and then I finally switched to Archbang a few weeks ago, and I'm definitely sticking with that.

Of course I have a 7-yr-old HP that uses BIOS so -shrug-

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #229 of 481
I've been running manjaro lately and I'm really liking it! :D

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #231 of 481
Sid or Stable?

Anyone actually bother to use Plymouth on an install without Plymouth pre-installed?

Textmate colors for Vim - https://github.com/tomasr/molokai
Cool beans (there's also a Coolbeans colorscheme floating around)

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #233 of 481
Three cool things I learned today.
- dwb acclerates scrolling as time goes on. Very nifty.
- ranger has pdf preview working, out of the blue, after hours in the past trying to find out why it didn't work. w3m you are a female dog.
- New Chromium (sort of) fixes the clipboard problems I had with loliclip.

Also I've been playing around with Chromium Embedded, getting some vi-browser shindig going over that. It's a bit out of my scope and time though, due to the sheer size of the damned thing. It's promsing yet infuriating, all at the same time. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #237 of 481
Oh, I didn't write those PKGBUILDs. I had to build it all from scratch like a sucker before I could even think of writing PKGBUILDs for them.

Now that I'm done building I shall document my procedure with some of my own PKGBUILDs, as per usual.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #238 of 481
I don't know why but I can't seem to keep a Linux install running for any length of time lately.  I had a Gentoo install for a couple of years at uni but since then I can't get it to compile far enough to attempt a boot.  Instead I'm lucky to get six months out of a standard distro - this year I've tried Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora and am currently getting frustrated at Mint Debian, which has crippled Cinnamon with it's latest update, and doesn't even have a working terminal under E17 while gnome-legacy tries to open folders using Audacious (a music player...)

It's the weekend so time for a reinstall - I effective have a blank system that can run anything (i7, 240gb SSD and 16gb RAM), what should I try that might actually work for a while?  I'm traditionally a Gnome user so GTK+ based would be nice.

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #239 of 481
I don't know why but I can't seem to keep a Linux install running for any length of time lately.  I had a Gentoo install for a couple of years at uni but since then I can't get it to compile far enough to attempt a boot.  Instead I'm lucky to get six months out of a standard distro - this year I've tried Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora and am currently getting frustrated at Mint Debian, which has crippled Cinnamon with it's latest update, and doesn't even have a working terminal under E17 while gnome-legacy tries to open folders using Audacious (a music player...)

It's the weekend so time for a reinstall - I effective have a blank system that can run anything (i7, 240gb SSD and 16gb RAM), what should I try that might actually work for a while?  I'm traditionally a Gnome user so GTK+ based would be nice.

It happens. Distro hopping is fairly common when you're searching for that perfect desktop. I tried different distros for varying length of time before settling on Archlinux.

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #240 of 481
It happens. Distro hopping is fairly common when you're searching for that perfect desktop. I tried different distros for varying length of time before settling on Archlinux.

Thing is they're all the same at the core - I have a home partition that I've kept throughout my hopping so I don't even see the default desktop config and theme as chosen by the distro once I get Cinnamon installed.  The only other issue I've come across is my USB3 memory card reader which I had resigned to never working in Linux, but in Mint Debian it does so I don't want to go backwards on that one.  That's why I've suffered a couple of weeks of virtual unusability...  Instead I've used my netbook more (lubuntu) but I just updated that to 13.10 and now that card reader has stopped working too!  It's sad really, I could use Linux more reliably 12 years ago when it wasn't friendly; I was running Slackware before Gentoo.

I'll give Arch a go, it has cinnamon in the community repository so should be easy enough to get that installed.  Hopefully it has a live cd so I can test the card reader
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back