Linux users unite!
Sep 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #196 of 481
Um, I meant minimalist as looks sleek and stuff, not minimalist overall... :/ I'm running XFDE and find it to be nice... I might swap over to KDE though if XFDE doesn't have all the customization I want. 
wink.gif

Most DEs can be made to look sleek and minimal, there are tons of themes for all of them. Some offer more customization than others.

The issue that I've experienced, is the 'bells and whistles' or 'features' that you'll be needing. For instance, full fledged DEs do most of the work for you...so you can stay away from the terminal most of the time, unless you need to perform an upgrade (this is in Arch, in other distros even this isn't an issue).

For me, daily user who just wants to get work done, and has a reasonably good hardware --> KDE.
Not that powerful, but still need good features --> XFCE/LXDE
Don't need a lot of features, using the terminal most of the time --> *box.

Point is, when you're going 'minimalist' by code and features, you have a nimble system, but you have to analyze the trade-offs.  

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #197 of 481
Install Gentoo

System-wide build flags for making life easier? NOOBSAUCE.

Use Slack. Use Lunar. Avoid the brain-drain.

The issue that I've experienced, is the 'bells and whistles' or 'features' that you'll be needing. For instance, full fledged DEs do most of the work for you...so you can stay away from the terminal most of the time, unless you need to perform an upgrade (this is in Arch, in other distros even this isn't an issue).

For me, daily user who just wants to get work done, and has a reasonably good hardware --> KDE.

Not that powerful, but still need good features --> XFCE/LXDE

Don't need a lot of features, using the terminal most of the time --> *box.

I do think it's a tad bit unfair to perpetuate the notion that size becomes proportional to functionality.  KDE and GNOME at their current states are roughly similar in terms of size, and the former not only does a heck of a lot more by default, it has a heck of a lot more up hidden up its sleeve.

When you take out the MySQL and indexing from KDE, size gets thrown out the window. Take out the compositing effects (I've had great success with using KDE concurrent to i3 - although one can say that Kwin's part of the charm by default), and it zooms past like a tube of jiffy lube.

By grouping userbases with the DEs as a stereotype, it can serve to make the stereotype more true.  Rather, it might be more beneficial when people take the time to analyze the individual functionality that they want rather than adhering to this hierarchy where one DE above the other is grouped in a way where they simply has more functionality and if you want functionality that's that. Do you want windows to be handled with the behaviour that KWin does by default, or by metacity? Do you want to use Colord for adjusting color management settings, or do you want to stick to the old tried-and-true way? These should be the factors from which we hold our decisions. Not through an oversimpifying hierarchy.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #198 of 481

I do think it's a tad bit unfair to perpetuate the notion that size becomes proportional to functionality.  KDE and GNOME at their current states are roughly similar in terms of size, and the former not only does a heck of a lot more by default, it has a heck of a lot more up hidden up its sleeve.

Well, I'm using a general idea. A system that has a lot of services running efficiently will definitely consume more space in RAM than one running a few efficient ones. The underlying assumption ofcourse is that they're both efficiently implemented.

While I'm all for using the method of classifying the DEs as you mentioned, its precisely the thing I actively avoid.
A DE needs to be looked at from the user perspective most of all, and not all users are comfortable with choice based on several technical factors. Obviously not everyone is a programmer, and not everyone cares about how things are implemented. All they care about is where does my USB drive show up when I plug it in? Or how do I change a setting, or connect to Wi-Fi?
Users need stuff that works for them and gets out of the way to let them do what they really installed Linux for. Or vice versa, if they installed Linux to learn it.

Therefore, over simplification is required at some level. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #199 of 481
Well, choice, even at the simplist level, is still choice. When users get to choose the benign behaviours, it still makes the experience all the more pleasant. We can oversimplify the functionality being examined and the logic still stands. It's great to be able to choose, but choosing based on a flawed hierarchy isn't necessarily a sound idea.

I do think I was addressing the more simplistic crowd before - after all, the spawning behaviours of windows are still a pretty basic function. In fact I remember back in school when OS X had just came out, the students were ecstatic about being able to change the hiding animation and behaviour of the windows. This is the bread and butter of functionality to them, and the breadth of variety is still available for them to enjoy. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #200 of 481
  Well, choice, even at the simplist level, is still choice. When users get to choose the benign behaviours, it still makes the experience all the more pleasant. We can oversimplify the functionality being examined and the logic still stands. It's great to be able to choose, but choosing based on a flawed hierarchy isn't necessarily a sound idea.

I do think I was addressing the more simplistic crowd before - after all, the spawning behaviours of windows are still a pretty basic function. In fact I remember back in school when OS X had just came out, the students were ecstatic about being able to change the hiding animation and behaviour of the windows. This is the bread and butter of functionality to them, and the breadth of variety is still available for them to enjoy. 

I'd say I don't see this discussion going anywhere. You've stated your way of chosing a DE, I've stated mine.
People chose a DE that they like. Some go for eye candy, others for functionality, based on their own knowledge.
I'll leave it at that.

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #201 of 481
Well that was sort of abrupt :/

Half of this forum is based on spontaneous banter that ultimately goes nowhere. Which needn't be a bad thing. Banter is just banter, there's always a place for banter. I didn't realize that this was supposed to be different. Perhaps there's some animosity I'm not aware of? 

Anyways, I'll end it, but just want to say that this was quite strange and abrupt. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #202 of 481
so um... sorry to interrupt the banter, but how do I set /home in fstab to be on a different drive?

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #203 of 481
/dev/sd[letter for the device to be mounted in accordance to order - so likely "b" although you should consult fdisk for that]   /home [type of filesystem]  [options]  [dump]  [pass]

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #204 of 481
/dev/sd[letter for the device to be mounted in accordance to order - so likely "b" although you should consult fdisk for that]   /home [type of filesystem]  [options]  [dump]  [pass]
So:
Code:
/dev/sdb /home Ext4 ????? ????? ?????

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #205 of 481
I forgot to mention the partition number after the drive letter :p

I don't think it matters to capitalize the E in ext4 but maybe not do that just in case.

Otherwise yes. The options are fun to customize if you aren't doing anything mission-critical.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #206 of 481
I forgot to mention the partition number after the drive letter :p

I don't think it matters to capitalize the E in ext4 but maybe not do that just in case.

Otherwise yes. The options are fun to customize if you aren't doing anything mission-critical.
Well I ended up messing something up that's easily fixable except I can't login due to it and mint doesn't allow you to access terminal with the root being writable unless you're logged in, so I said screw it and will just install funtoo tomorrow... :D

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #207 of 481
None of what you said made any sort of sense whatsoever.

1) Live CD and chroot. Get used to it. Not writable? No furking way. 
2) Some sort of hard on for funtoo or something? This is the second time you've mentioned it. Do you absolutely need the latest git pulls or something? Which begs the question - what do you need?

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #208 of 481
None of what you said made any sort of sense whatsoever.

1) Live CD and chroot. Get used to it. Not writable? No furking way. 
2) Some sort of hard on for funtoo or something? This is the second time you've mentioned it. Do you absolutely need the latest git pulls or something? Which begs the question - what do you need?
1) can't set chuser with a live cd, chmod, and mint requires to be signed it to access any sort of terminal while mint safe mode restricts certain folders from being editable. :/

2)no, but I'd love to learn how to do all this and not have to redo my entire os to install funtoo later... With the guide on the site it's easy to install, and makes sense anyways. I also am doing this to help me learn Linux commands and such... Also, cmd is not daunting at all anymore... :p

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #209 of 481
1) Oh dear god. What's the problem?
2) "Cmd is not daunting" - you're not doing it right. It's alway supposed to be daunting. Heck even Rob Pike finds it daunting.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #210 of 481
1) Oh dear god. What's the problem?
2) "Cmd is not daunting" - you're not doing it right. It's alway supposed to be daunting. Heck even Rob Pike finds it daunting.
I just copy and paste my /home directory to the root of my other drive and set it is /home under fstab, I also deleted the original /home folder. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back