Linum update and the new Linum Super BaX on tour
Mar 4, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #46 of 194
I have no idea what level of technology leap has happened between the 2, when we get right down to all it does is conduct electricity, something even a wire coat hanger can do.

I'm annoys me a bit that people complane about what premium or any other products cost, not just this but any. If one think it's too much just don't buy it, nobody us being forced to buy and there is plenty of cheaper options or one can just stick with stock cables, that is totally free. Manufacturers set the price they want and complaining about it is not going to chance what they charge.

It's called an opinion, funnily enough cus this is a public chat forum! Lol

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #47 of 194
Mm..audition first before making any spot judgment. Maybe this Super BAX is worth the asking price. Maybe it is not. I'm looking forward to testing this cable during CanJam Singapore. I'm pretty much open-minded when it comes to new products.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #48 of 194
Just picked up the Linum Super BaX cable(2-pin) at the FedEx office and I have to say, I'm already amazed by the comfort and lightness. Absolutely no memory. Sounds good too and I don't have to raise the volume more than any other cable.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #49 of 194

Linum SuperBaX Review

Introduction

The unit I used for this review was a demo unit from Estron. When I first heard about Estron with their original BaX cables, I’ve been incredibly interested in demoing one of their cables. After news of their new SuperBaX was in production and following reviews there after, I knew I had to get my hands on a demo unit. When demo units began to roll out, I couldn’t help myself and requested to be added to the list. Fast forward to now, I completely understand Estron reputation as a cable manufacture. I have owned or demoed several various kinds of cables. The stock cables included in Westone or Campfire Audio IEMs, aftermarket silver, copper, and SPC Litz cables, and many cheap or budget cables.

Testing Rig

1. Source: Questyle QP1R (Medium Gain)
  2. IEM(s): Campfire Audio Vega & Lyra II (w/ Campfire Audio Litz Stock Cable)
  3. Genre(s): Classical, Instrumental, Rock, Blues, Jazz, and Metal

Exterior/Physical Features

When I first got the SuperBaX, I was noticed how smooth and nice the cable felt. I’m serious. The cable feels super slick and light. My fingers just glide over it. Everything about the cable feels excellent. The SuperBaX truly feels as if there are hardly any cables around my ears. The most important part I want to mention about the cable’s physical features is its ability to resist the “memory wire” effect and tangles. With both my CA Litz and HPL Litz cables, no matter how what I do, they will always have the “memory wire” effect and curl up. The SuperBaX has none and lays perfectly flat and unravels very easily.
In terms of interference and absorbing vibration from movement, the SuperBaX contains absolutely none. I have used these to walk around my college campus and when I am out and about and they are completely free from those annoyances. Just like with its weight, I am free to listen to just the music and nothing else.

Sound

Finally, now for the part everyone has been waiting for. I removed my stock Litz cables from my Campfire Audio Vega, which are very nice just by itself, and inserted the SuperBaX. Before I say anything, I really have to emphasise on how unbelievably comfortable this cable really is. Since I use memory foam tips, this setup makes it feel like there is really nothing in my ears.
    On my Campfire Audio Vega IEMs from my Questyle QP1R, the SuperBaX makes the Vega sing magnificently. Right off the bat, I could hear a much clearer and wider presentation in the frequency range. Each note sounds more definite and clearer while the soundstage appears to be slightly more expansive. I can definitely hear it when listening to Metal, like CROW’SCLAW, and Classical. In violin tracks, the texture in the player’s bowing technique becomes more defined with a much more true to life impact.
    Itzhak Perlman is one of those violinists that I use to measure my audio gear. As I also play violin, not anywhere close to what I or anyone would deem good, I do understand many of the “characteristics” in the violin. Perlman’s violin in particular, sounds very rich with many undertones. The SuperBaX encompases each note beautifully while retaining the detail and preciseness of Perlman’s playing.

Despite the size of the SuperBaX, it performs like a cable much larger than it. The sounds are more controlled than the Campfire Audio Litz cable originally included with my IEMs. Comparing the two on size, the Litz cable is just slightly thicker than the SuperBaX so I was surprised to hear it perform better. When I connected to my younger brother’s IEMs, the Lyra II, he noticed the difference instantly. He mentioned an overall extension in treble and bass ends, higher clarity in the notes, and more controlled bass hits.
    Listening to CROW’SCLAW and Wagakki Band, the music can become very messy because of the nature of the genre. However, the SuperBaX ensured all the notes remained clear and direct. In the case of CROW’SCLAW, the drums and hi-hats were in their own space and I could hear their beat completely. The drums had their distinct kick and hit while the hi-hats had a truly brilliant shimmer. The guitar riffs and solos were grungy, punchy, and unexpectedly defined. I can hear the guitars to the far right and front off center to the left with the drums in the back left. The tiny metal shaker in the background is even audible with the SuperBaX. The vocals, whenever their albums showcase them, is up front and center.
    Wagakki Band’s unique sound has many wide range of sounds while imparting a heavier feel many of their tracks. Generally, their tracks are extremely impactful from the Taiko to the Koto and the piercing Shakuhachi. Their various uses of Japanese instruments in their songs contain a different feel than most metal and rock but still contain the complexity of those genres. And just like with CROW’SCLAW, their songs are still clear with all instruments and vocals in their place.

Aside from being much clearer, the soundstage and separation sounds amazing. Possibly stemming from the higher clarity and extension, I can hear a more definite separation between instruments and the channels from which they are produced from. My Vega doesn’t have a ridiculously large soundstage but it does have one that is sufficiently spacious with an extremely high amount of detail. The SuperBaX builds on that characteristics, which unlike most of the cables I run into, and makes those details shine.

Conclusion

The SuperBaX is an excellent cable that sports the best comfort of any cable I have ever used while not sacrificing any audio quality. If one disregarded any audio quality notes and purchased the cable for daily travel or comfort, I would completely recommend this cable to those kinds of folks. And while this cable may not be able to compete against the 8-braid Silver 24AWG Litz cables owned by many audiophiles, it performs outstanding for its size and way better than I would have expected from even a larger cable.
Coming from my stock Litz cable, the SuperBaX possesses a far superior amount of detail. Despite the higher amount of detail the demoed cable contains, the sound signature was minimally altered with the only great change being a more defined low end and greater extension in both ends.
Possibly the only flaw this cable has is the lack of Sony 4.4mm jack for my friends who own DAPs that use this size of connector. This flaw is me being nit-picking and trying trying to find flaw in a product that is excellent in the market it’s in. Again, while I don’t expect it to perform as good as those crazy custom config cables some guys have, it performs admirably. Besides, the purpose of the SuperBaX is not technically to fight against custom cables but more so provide a high amount of comfort with very good to excellent sound.
Durability is a trait special to the BaX line of cables which is not something easily said about many cables on the market. If you desire a strong, thin cable while performing as good as cables much larger than it, the Linum SuperBaX is the perfect cable.

PHOTOS SOON!!!

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #50 of 194
Nice review @Gurashieruro, I hope they get enough interest to make the cables most people want! 3.5mm TRRS and like you mentioned above, the new 4.4mm TRRRS for the TOTL Sony DAP's. If they make these then they will sell a lot more. However they don't seem interested yet!

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 194
  Nice review @Gurashieruro, I hope they get enough interest to make the cables most people want! 3.5mm TRRS and like you mentioned above, the new 4.4mm TRRRS for the TOTL Sony DAP's. If they make these then they will sell a lot more. However they don't seem interested yet!

Its my only gripe with them. While I do prefer having memory wire to help contour the cable around the ear, I know lots of people who don't like it so its not a negative (its more a preference). I do believe they would make the TRRS once all the TRS versions have been released just like the original BaX case was. As for 4.4mm connectors, I do look forward to them. I don't personally use them but seeing as how many people are beginning to use them, it would be nice. I don't think it would cause too much problems but I leave that process to Estron since they know best.
If there is enough public outspoken desire for those connector types, it definitely would impact their interest. I just presume they are more concerned about releasing the product first before worrying about that. Here's to hoping! 

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #52 of 194
My feeling is that Estron is a manufacturing organisation that produce cables on industrial scale unlike many of the other boutique cable makers so they don't make bespoke cables. If that is true they will only make models they feel they can sell many of and I don't know if there is enough demand for 3.5 trrs and 4.4 trrrs for that kind of operation.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #53 of 194
Mm..nice review - whet my appetite. I'd most likely confine myself to 2.5 and mmcx/2-pin. I have an incoming adaptor from Labkable for 2.5 to 4.4 mm. So a 4.4 terminated is not necessary for me.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #54 of 194
Hope I am not too late
Username: ExpiredLabel
Testing equipment: Venturecraft Soundroid Valoq limited edition, Mee P1.
Connector: MMCX

thank you for your time and consideration

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #55 of 194
Mm..nice review - whet my appetite. I'd most likely confine myself to 2.5 and mmcx/2-pin. I have an incoming adaptor from Labkable for 2.5 to 4.4 mm. So a 4.4 terminated is not necessary for me.
I've heard that those adapters aren't exactly safe/good for the amp, in that specific case.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #56 of 194
I've heard that those adapters aren't exactly safe/good for the amp, in that specific case.

As long as the original headphone cable is fully balanced and the adapter has been wired cirrectly they are perfectly safe. The problem comes if you try to use an adapter to go from a single ended trs cable into a balanced trrs or trrrs source.

All my headphone cables (except the new Super Bax) are fully balanced and I then have a collection of adapters for different sources.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #57 of 194
Mm..been using 2.5 to 3.5 mm (balanced to unbalanced) Labkable adaptor for many months now. No problems encountered with DAP and portable amps. Same with @nc8000, most of my in-ear cables are balanced 2.5 mm (for AKs, Alo CDM and DPX1). Don't anticipate any problem when using 2.5 to 4.4 adaptor.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #58 of 194
Mm..been using 2.5 to 3.5 mm (balanced to unbalanced) Labkable adaptor for many months now. No problems encountered with DAP and portable amps. Same with @nc8000, most of my in-ear cables are balanced 2.5 mm (for AKs, Alo CDM and DPX1). Don't anticipate any problem when using 2.5 to 4.4 adaptor.
I'm meaning specifically with TRRRS to TRRS/TRS.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #59 of 194
3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS are completely fine, it's specifically with TRRRS that I believe aren't exactly safe.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #60 of 194
So long as the lower pin count is what plugs into the amp, the conversion is safe... if wired correctly.

It's when you try and go balanced to single-ended after the amp the problem occurs. Because you are shorting two lines together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back