Limits of Noise Canceling Headphones
Aug 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tardisk

New Head-Fier
I have several pairs of more than decent over ear headphones, along with an ATH-M30 and an HFI-580. I love my 580s, and I am always very satisfied with the amount of noise they block out and their very balanced natural sound quality (More than my other headphones, anyway.) Recently, I took my 580s on my flight to Paris, expecting the same isolation that I get in everyday situations. Unfortunately, cans are terrible at blocking out the extremely loud and low frequencies generated by a plane's reactors. In fact, while wearing them, the sound of those two huge reactors becomes almost unbearable, so much so that I preferred not listening to anything. Those darned low frequencies completely ruined my listening experience, drowning out most anything I played. To counteract this, I had to turn up the volume, which made my ears hurt after about 15 minutes.

Anyway, I figured noise canceling headphones might be the way to go. My question is: can noise canceling headphones generate low enough frequencies to counteract the sound of an airplanes jets? If so, which ones? I doubt that there are any normal cans that can block out that much sound, but if so, feel free to mention them. Cans would be preferable, but if there is no other way, in ears would be acceptable. What are some recommendations? I'm looking for something around $100, but I could probably spend more if need be.

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Low frequency is what most headphones block out. Best for low are V6

Don't get noise canceling, the frequency they put out drives me nuts.

But then I can hear the electricity in the walls if I focus.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Low frequency is what most headphones block out. Best for low are V6

Don't get noise canceling, the frequency they put out drives me nuts.

But then I can hear the electricity in the walls if I focus.
tongue_smile.gif

Sony MDR-V6? They don't isolate from anything below 500Hz.

Quote:
Anyway, I figured noise canceling headphones might be the way to go. My question is: can noise canceling headphones generate low enough frequencies to counteract the sound of an airplanes jets? If so, which ones? I doubt that there are any normal cans that can block out that much sound, but if so, feel free to mention them. Cans would be preferable, but if there is no other way, in ears would be acceptable. What are some recommendations? I'm looking for something around $100, but I could probably spend more if need be.

Thanks!

Active noise canceling headphones are designed to eliminate jet engine sounds. I'm not aware of any for $100, and I'm not aware of any that sound good.

Full-sized and earpad closed headphones don't do much for bass, which is what the engines put out. I don't know what frequency they make. But even the DT1350 and HD25-1 II, both out of your budget but known for good isolation, don't do much for bass.

IEMs are the way to go. I haven't read any actual reviews, but I'd recommend the Etymotic 6i Isolator for, erm, isolation. I'd guess they have isolation similar to the ER4, which is insane even for bass. That may be with foam tips, which I think isolate better? I'm not a big IEM fan.

Did I ever mention how awesome Inner Fidelity is?

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I have several pairs of more than decent over ear headphones, along with an ATH-M30 and an HFI-580. I love my 580s, and I am always very satisfied with the amount of noise they block out and their very balanced natural sound quality (More than my other headphones, anyway.) Recently, I took my 580s on my flight to Paris, expecting the same isolation that I get in everyday situations. Unfortunately, cans are terrible at blocking out the extremely loud and low frequencies generated by a plane's reactors. In fact, while wearing them, the sound of those two huge reactors becomes almost unbearable, so much so that I preferred not listening to anything. Those darned low frequencies completely ruined my listening experience, drowning out most anything I played. To counteract this, I had to turn up the volume, which made my ears hurt after about 15 minutes.

Thanks!

what plane was it?
eek.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't like noise cancellation. It has a way of killing the life of music.

If you need isolation, go for IEMs. I only have an old Shure e3c, but prefer them to any noise cancelling headphone I've heard.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 11
Lol. What plane was it? It was a Boeing 767-400. I was seated about row 34, which is four seats behind the wing, meaning I had large amounts of hot air blowing just below my window, along with the brunt of the noise one of those engines makes. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 11
What I've been considering is buying a pair of $100 to $150 dollar pair of Active Noise Cancelling headphones like the ATH-ANC7(B), and placing them over my regular in-ears with the noise cancelling on. Problem solved, though slightly awkward. The best sound quality is the PXC450, but that's way out there. The MM550 is also good. The best noise cancelling would be the Bose Quiet Comfort 3, I think. The middle ground is the ATH-ANC7(B).

But yes, airplane engine noise is the worst. The constant humming drove me crazy and I've been trying to think of ways to keep my sanity during my next flight.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 11
I think Bose headphones (sound quality aside) would do you well (if you can get over their price), i find them decent with movies (if your flight has entertainment)

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Strange as it may seem, I'm recommending Bose this time, their noise cancellation system is VERY efficient, pity about the sound though.
So they may be a good buy is you're a frequent traveler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back