Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Feb 27, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #1,606 of 1,717
Blutarsky keeps trying to talk me out of my ESW10, and I have to keep saying no.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #1,607 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can only afford one, and you require commuting, I'd argue IEMs are better choice. IEMs are more versatile in a way - I use them at the gym to replace their repetitive ambient music, on the airplane, on trips and on the street. The ESW10JPNs have terrible isolation when commuting on planes. Furthermore, I limit taking out the ESW10JPNs to prevent damage because they are limited edition and I consider them a valuable crafted good with their urushi lacquer finish - I am not eager to take my chances with them on the crowded Hong Kong MTR, and nor would I risk the NYC subway. Plus when I travel, say dropping by Vietnam for a couple of weeks, the less stuff, less fumbling with pouches and less worrying about the joints and bands on the AT's the better. True, with IEMs you will give up some soundstaging and bass impact in return for your isolation and compactness, but IEMs are far more practical for a wide range of tasks.

That said, I absolutely adore my ESW10JPNs. Whenever given the chance, I listen to them rather than the Shure 530's or triple.fi 10pros. Even with gaming and movies (stereo and Dolby Headphone) the soundstage and bass impact make them fun that's a lot closer to a big headphone than an IEM. You know how lovely they sound - but judging my own experience and opinions around Head-fi, IEMs could sound excellent as well. Because you said one headphone only, I guess I'm suggesting that you look at additional considerations - do you travel on planes and buses? How important is commuting, and so you do so in noisy circumstances? How worried are you about damage - you can easily replace the 10pro cable without sending it in.

Well I do have my Westone UM1 for pure commuting purposes. I do take the train to school everyday. I travel by air about a max of 4-5 times a year. I guess I could live with the UM1 for commuting purposes and keep the ESW10JPN for use at home or when I'm doing some work at the library or at various cafes. In such situations the better sound really makes a difference as opposed to commuting when having good sound is a more of a bonus really.

That said I'd really like to get my toes wet with customs and the Unique Melody Mage seems to be an excellent ticket given the price to performance ratio. If I get the Mage I won't have the ESW10JPN in the future and that kinda makes me sad.

But like you said IEMs would be that much more versatile. I used to like the in-your-head-sound provided by IEMs, but having spent much time with my 7506 I still prefer the bigger and more natural sound of cans. That said I guess I could get used to the smaller sound provided by IEMs. Arggh this is getting really hard!

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,608 of 1,717
Sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add to this post other than

"OMG the shiny"

Those are some beautiful headphones. I think if I saw anyone walking around with those on I'd go up to them and just compliment them on their excellent taste in headphones.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,609 of 1,717
Sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add to this post other than

"OMG the shiny"

Those are some beautiful headphones. I think if I saw anyone walking around with those on I'd go up to them and just compliment them on their excellent taste in headphones.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #1,610 of 1,717
Got my ESW10JPN's in the mail today.

Man these things are absolutely beautiful. I plugged them in and started listening to various loseless albums fed by my uDAC and my initial impression is ambivalent. I'm not really hearing anything special, they definitely didn't blow me away when I first put them on and the bass feels a tad on the anemic side. I am hoping that I have a Monday hangover from work and need to give these some time but was I expecting too much?

I also really have to crank the dial on the uDAC to get these to a 'enjoyable' listening level for me. Near around 1 o'clock on the dial -- and I find myself having to adjust the volume much more than usual when switching between albums. Anyone have any suggestions or insight into my lackluster first impressions?

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #1,611 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my ESW10JPN's in the mail today.

Man these things are absolutely beautiful. I plugged them in and started listening to various loseless albums fed by my uDAC and my initial impression is ambivalent. I'm not really hearing anything special, they definitely didn't blow me away when I first put them on and the bass feels a tag on the anemic side. I am hoping that I have a Monday hangover from work and need to give these some time but was I expecting too much?

I also really have to crank the dial on the uDAC to get these to a 'enjoyable' listening level for me. Near around 1 o'clock on the dial -- and I find myself having to adjust the volume much more than usual when switching between albums. Anyone have any suggestions or insight into my lackluster first impressions?

1'o clock? are you serious?
eek.gif

I can barely turn the volume knob past 10'o clock...
ph34r.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #1,612 of 1,717
The AT sound signature is definitely very different from other headphones I've listened to... very prominent midrange, which didn't suit the music I listened to unfortunately. Treble extension is great, but like you mentioned, the bass is definitely lacking from what I remember.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,613 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1'o clock? are you serious?
eek.gif

I can barely turn the volume knob past 10'o clock...
ph34r.gif

If you do is the volume pretty much unbearable and do you get distortion or is this just the comfortable listening level for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AT sound signature is definitely very different from other headphones I've listened to... very prominent midrange, which didn't suit the music I listened to unfortunately. Treble extension is great, but like you mentioned, the bass is definitely lacking from what I remember.

I have the ES7's and I absolutely love the sound they produce. Very fun set of headphones so I figured the ESW10 would only improve on this.

I'm beginning to think that I set my expectations to high and it totally soured the experience for me, I need to sit down with these and listen to much more music before I can say that I am unimpressed with them.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #1,615 of 1,717
My HE-5 was $600, wonder how the ESW10 stacks up lol.

I liked my ESW9 well enough when I had it and would love to try the ESW10; but the HE-5 is in a whole other league, at least from the ESW9.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #1,616 of 1,717
In my humble opinion, uDAC headphone out + ES10 blows HE-5 + EF-5 + uDAC (DAC) out of the water.. and the S:Flo2 is in a different league as a source + amp. I can't wait to try it on my ES10s that I'll be getting back soon.

I can't imagine ESW10s being a lot worse (though I've never heard them myself).. I guess if you want to be WOWed then take ES10s instead of ESW10s. They're two really different headphones, from posts on the forums. Price/performance wise though, I doubt the ESW10 wins any awards unless you can get it for the same price as the ES10.

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #1,618 of 1,717
Hah, the ESW10s can't touch the EF5/HE5 combo :wink:

I doubt the ES10s "blow HE5s out of the water", but I haven't heard them..

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #1,619 of 1,717

Quote:
In my humble opinion, uDAC headphone out + ES10 blows HE-5 + EF-5 + uDAC (DAC) out of the water.. and the S:Flo2 is in a different league as a source + amp. I can't wait to try it on my ES10s that I'll be getting back soon.

I can't imagine ESW10s being a lot worse (though I've never heard them myself).. I guess if you want to be WOWed then take ES10s instead of ESW10s. They're two really different headphones, from posts on the forums. Price/performance wise though, I doubt the ESW10 wins any awards unless you can get it for the same price as the ES10.

From what I've read around there, I think you're right about the ES10 having more "wow" potential. So far I've narrowed the difference between the ESW10 and ES10 to the following by reading several comments and asking question by PM :

- Bass : more bass quantity on the ES10, with better texture and "sound information", more impact, and a dryer presentation. The ESW10 is a bit "richer" sounding, slightly "fatter". Both are speedy and clean. The ESW10 is still quite impactful.
- Mids : Slightly warmer on the ESW10 (a bit more lower mids), much more liquid on the ESW10. Better timber accuracy on the ESW10.
- Treble : almost identical, with maybe a more even frequency response with the ESW10, which has sometimes been described as being responsible for being a bit fatiguing in the upper treble.
- Instrument separation : same.
- Soundstage : very slightly wider on the ES10. Same depth.
- A slightly more credible handling of decay / reverb with the ESW10.
- Better dynamics with the ES10.

All in all they're roughly in the same SQ category, with disadvantages and advantages compared to the other.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #1,620 of 1,717

Quote:
 I guess if you want to be WOWed then take ES10s instead of ESW10s.

I read the same thing hence i went with the es10. but i'd like to hear a esw10 to compare. i was also wondering if the price difference between the two was enough to justify the extra $ for the esw10 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back