Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Jan 22, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #1,592 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you have to contact AT directly to buy the earpads.

Not sure if Audiocubes have them, you can give them a try.

Thanks for the tip -- couldn't find 'em on the website but will keep trying.

best,

o

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #1,593 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, just wanted to say that I've joined the club.
smily_headphones1.gif
(thanks Chris!)

This is easily the best unamped cans I've ever tried. The soundstage is impressive for a closed can, every part of the sound is VERY well controlled (almost like armatures), and best of all... the SE530 mids which has stood to me as the best mids even after countless new IEM's/headphones... has officially been dethroned.
biggrin.gif
Best. Mids. Eva.

Amped with my WA6, it takes it up another notch. I would easily put this in the same class as my HD650, with similar balance but with better mids but less weight in bass. Detailing and smoothness is about the same IMO. The level of detailing doesn't match my RS1 or K701 and it doesn't give a lifelike on-stage performance like the RS1/flats combo, but otherwise, these stand toe-to-toe with my other headphones, easily.

Easily worth the money.

Glad you are enjoying the cans as much as I did. Your equipment will probably make it even sound better over what I have (PICO).

I see the other seller you were referring to, and actually, his ESW10's are the ones I first originally had, and sold it to him lol.

Anyways, I'll make good use of the $ from the sale, I will be very likely investing them in some UM56 tips for my UM3X... and pay off some bills.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #1,594 of 1,717
Man, I wish you guys would quit bumping this thread. These headphones are just too beautiful.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,595 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kon-Masti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody dealt with these guys? The site looks like a kid designed it so I would have thought fake first but there's an address and the price does not scream fake.

Edit: D'oh forgot to include the site it's AUDIO TECHNICA ATHESW10 Video Review << UK >> AVLAND Audio technica ATH-ESW10 Limited Edition Reference Headphones 10

There is a telephone number at the bottom of their web page. Give them a call and ask what the Certificate of Authenticity says. They only shipped 150 units to Europe, it will say so on the certificate together with the edition number.

Their website might not be much but a really quick look around the web doesn't throw anything up suggesting they are not legit... but keep looking.

I paid just under £320.00 mine so those are not cheap. Not sure how these are being released in Europe as mine came with a single digit number and I only got mine mid last year.

Maybe you can ask where they were sourced from and how many they have in stock if they don't mind telling you - I can't imagine they have any more than the one pair. At that price though chances are they are genuine... just make sure they are in stock before handing over your £££

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #1,596 of 1,717
I'm driving near Northampton today and will see if I can swing by and take a look. I shall take along my 'Number 2 in UK' model and compare. If my day gets busy then I'll need to give it a miss but I am interested.

I paid £380 for mine from a regular supplier.

Regards

Sceptre

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #1,597 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm driving near Northampton today and will see if I can swing by and take a look. I shall take along my 'Number 2 in UK' model and compare. If my day gets busy then I'll need to give it a miss but I am interested.

I paid £380 for mine from a regular supplier.

Regards

Sceptre

Number 2, meet Number 3
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,598 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Number 2, meet Number 3
smily_headphones1.gif

Pleasure to meet you number three.

Number 2 went to AV Land today.
Shop been going 8 years. Mainly selling AV stuff.

Stock? Low. They want to push Denon more but do not even have any of the X000 range.
They have the Denon IEM range in stock.

Regarding the heavenly wooden beauties. There are non in their stock. They would ring the wholesaler if there was an inquiry.

So summary - they are listing the headphone at RRP and will get one subject to availability. They won't charge you until sent to you.

Based on that, do you want me to see if my contact can get you one and for what price?

Regards

Sceptre

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,600 of 1,717
I always wanted to buy the ESW9, but as luck would have it, a head-fi member put up an ESW10 on sale at a very good price. Unfortunately, being a high school student, spending that kind of money onto headphones is quite ridiculous, and no doubt, will scolded by my parents. Still, I do want to buy'em.

No matter what I do, my wallet will burn, yikes. I just hope they don't sell before I have enough money in the bank....

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #1,602 of 1,717
Hey guys!

I've been scouring these threads for a realllyyy long time. With the introduction of many new high end universal IEMs and low-end custom IEMs do these cans still give them a run for the money? I'm going to be in a one headphone only scenario (besides my Sony MDR-7506 and Westone UM1) so I'd really like to get the best I can afford for my uses (some commuting, transportable listening). I listen exclusively to Jazz and I've read that these cans are really good for'em. I've listened to them for some time and been falling in love with them quite a bit. Though the price is still a lil tough to stomach.

P.S. I've posted a thread asking for opinions on this but I'm posting here, just in case I miss some points of view. =)

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #1,604 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, being a high school student, spending that kind of money onto headphones is quite ridiculous, and no doubt, will scolded by my parents. Still, I do want to buy'em.

An acquaintance of mine from Vancouver busted his premium car... Which, of course, makes our hobby look like spare change. You'd survive, but as someone a bit older, I'd also advise you to have discretion in your overall spending - spend a lot a here, discipline yourself elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the introduction of many new high end universal IEMs and low-end custom IEMs do these cans still give them a run for the money? I'm going to be in a one headphone only scenario (besides my Sony MDR-7506 and Westone UM1) so I'd really like to get the best I can afford for my uses (some commuting, transportable listening). I listen exclusively to Jazz and I've read that these cans are really good for'em. I've listened to them for some time and been falling in love with them quite a bit. Though the price is still a lil tough to stomach.

If you can only afford one, and you require commuting, I'd argue IEMs are better choice. IEMs are more versatile in a way - I use them at the gym to replace their repetitive ambient music, on the airplane, on trips and on the street. The ESW10JPNs have terrible isolation when commuting on planes. Furthermore, I limit taking out the ESW10JPNs to prevent damage because they are limited edition and I consider them a valuable crafted good with their urushi lacquer finish - I am not eager to take my chances with them on the crowded Hong Kong MTR, and nor would I risk the NYC subway. Plus when I travel, say dropping by Vietnam for a couple of weeks, the less stuff, less fumbling with pouches and less worrying about the joints and bands on the AT's the better. True, with IEMs you will give up some soundstaging and bass impact in return for your isolation and compactness, but IEMs are far more practical for a wide range of tasks.

That said, I absolutely adore my ESW10JPNs. Whenever given the chance, I listen to them rather than the Shure 530's or triple.fi 10pros. Even with gaming and movies (stereo and Dolby Headphone) the soundstage and bass impact make them fun that's a lot closer to a big headphone than an IEM. You know how lovely they sound - but judging my own experience and opinions around Head-fi, IEMs could sound excellent as well. Because you said one headphone only, I guess I'm suggesting that you look at additional considerations - do you travel on planes and buses? How important is commuting, and so you do so in noisy circumstances? How worried are you about damage - you can easily replace the 10pro cable without sending it in.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,605 of 1,717
I agree that for the same amount of money, I would go with a decent pair of IEM's when "on-the-go". I leave the ESW-10's home for listening. They are too nice (wood and leather) to be exposed to the outside world, except if you are going to be sitting on a park bench.
And, as Ypoknons posted, the AT's have minimal ambient noise blockage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back