Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Jan 31, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #946 of 1,717
The ESW line is a real class act.
The soundstage does widen with time.

I use a pillow when burning in, for 3 reasons.

1. widening a tight headband
  1. to provide feedback to the drivers (instead of the waveform hitting air, it's resembles being on a head)
  1. to deaden the volume for 24/7 hour burn-in (for the sake of my family members...works better with closed cans, but still works)

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #947 of 1,717
X2 to the above

Some stated that the ESW10s sound great out of the box and were impressed by them immediately, but I felt that they weren't very engaging--- with an amp like Pico, the soundstage really opens up, sound becomes much more clear and refined, bass is a lot more "punchier" as well. While the ESW10s don't need to be amped, they certainly benefit tremendously with one. Without an amp, they sound like $200 cans as opposed to $500+ cans. With an amp though, you get exactly what you paid for.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #949 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptop+Pico+ESW10JPN=Bliss
tongue.gif

Ditto - awesome combo for the office
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #951 of 1,717
Yeah they indeed un-clamp a bit with time, they're now much more comfortable to wear than when I first got them - although those of us with glasses might want to raise the glasses' temples above the area of pressure from the cans.

Other than that, it's pretty comfy now.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #954 of 1,717
Hi, may I know what tracks do you guys use to burn in your ESW-10s? I have been playing just regular music for about 80 hrs or so and so far, I must say it is sounding very good. The strings on clapton's guitar is really great!

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #958 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly i wasn't blown away by them like many of the users here. i'll give it some time, i suppose.

That was my initial impression, too. Incidentally, I was exchanging some e-mails with Ken from ALO & I wrote about how underwhelming the ESW10JPNs were. Then like 3 days later, wrote a big "Nevermind!" e-mail.
icon10.gif
Be patient with them. After about 100-150 hrs, they'll open up, especially the midrange, and the bass definition will be there, too. Have fun!

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #959 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give them some hours burn-in before juding them
smily_headphones1.gif

So you break yours in before playing "Hey Jude"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back