Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Dec 12, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #616 of 1,717
I think I'll take a chance and wait until mid-January for the Cashback thing to possibly hop back up to 30%. I need the Westone 3 for the flight back hom on Sunday.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #617 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll take a chance and wait until mid-January for the Cashback thing to possibly hop back up to 30%

.. or it will end after the Xmas
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #619 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the best sounding unamped portable headphone? (excluding Ed9)

Might picked one up if still available next Jan.

yes. and ED9 is no portable.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #621 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could find a used pair I would totally pick these up but I don't think I want / need to get a new pair

I've said bye-bye to IEMs after ESW10s sooo
regular_smile .gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #623 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just about convinced to buy a pair no way to get a cashback like deal through ebay>?

being a canuck, I wouldn't know
frown.gif

there were tons of head-fiers getting 25-30% deal off of these, but I'm not sure if that's still being offered.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #624 of 1,717
I nailed an RS1 at $550 with 20% cashback this morning ($452 after shipping).
beerchug.gif
I didn't get 30% cashback like I wanted, but who knows if that's every going to come up again.

The cashback is currently at 8% but there's still an RS-1 available. The 20% cashback was like a fluke. I got up this morning, glanced at SD and saw a thread on it. The eBay seller is Methos37. I got my GS-1000 from him at a decent price with 25% cashback. Keep in mind though, Grado doesn't offer warranty to items bought through any online auction (website).

I'm mentioning the RS1 because I said that I imagined the ESW10 to be a mix of the Sennheiser HD580/HD600 + the Grado RS-1 based on what I've read. Now I'll be able to know if my assumptions are correct or not.

As for the ESW10, I really like them a lot. They will be my work phones. (Pico with dac -> EF1 -> ESW10). Just waiting on my pico to arrive. I bought an external 1TB drive to carry around some music. Can't believe how cheap hard drives are these days.

Having the ESW10 amped makes them sound more livelier (warmer, smoother, richer, more engaging). Straight out of my X5L, they were cooler, a bit relaxed, and a bit on the analytical side. It reminds me of what the EMU1212m soundcard sounds like in comparison to my Stello DA100.

If you're thinking about the ESW10 as portables, they are discreet and look good, but they don't isolate well. They may or may not do the trick for you. I've yet to try them out in mass transit since I enjoy the long walks. Personally, I don't want to increase the volume to "isolate" myself from external noises (which is what I did with the ESW10), so I opted for the Westone 3 for portable use.

There are a bunch of ESW10JPNs on eBay. It makes me wonder about how limited these really are... I got mine for $525.99 with 30% cashback +19 shipping . About $392 after all that. It's about $20 cheaper now if you can manage to get 30% cashback. I'm thinking 30% is unlikely until after Christmas and even then it's a maybe.

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #625 of 1,717
My searches in this thread are failing me. So if this has been covered extensively already I apologize--but direct comparison between ESW9 and ESW10 -- other than a general sense of ESW10>ESW9 -- what are the sound signature differences? More/less bass quantity? More detail? etc..?

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #626 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
being a canuck, I wouldn't know
frown.gif

there were tons of head-fiers getting 25-30% deal off of these, but I'm not sure if that's still being offered.

In three more weeks Microsoft Live will deposit the $128 in my paypal account
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #627 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're thinking about the ESW10 as portables, they are discreet and look good, but they don't isolate well. They may or may not do the trick for you. I've yet to try them out in mass transit since I enjoy the long walks. Personally, I don't want to increase the volume to "isolate" myself from external noises (which is what I did with the ESW10), so I opted for the Westone 3 for portable use.

So walking in the streets do you see yourself raising them? I did not understand this part.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #630 of 1,717
So they took the ESW10JPN out of the cashback program? I'm also interested in this, and searching on the live.com cashback page turns up nothing... What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back