Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #181 of 1,717
I only used the ESW10JPN for 12> hours, but so far I think that the W11JPN has bigger soundstage both in height and width (although W10 goes pretty wide too), but that is logical since the cups and drivers are bigger.
Because of this I think the W11 has a fuller sound overally.

W11 has a more prominent midrange, but can be too much so with the wrong amp and almost painful, while the W10 is less offending and more smooth.
On decent volume (70-80 dBA range) the W10 sounds very clear and with the right music it can seem almost lifelike (as far as a headphone can take it anyway).

The W10 also has much better instrument separation than the W11, when comparing the same track, on the W10 you can localize pretty much everything and it's distinct and easy to make out.
Whereas on the same tracks, the W11 can become a bit congested and blurry.
The way the sound travels around your head (like from left to right) is also much better defined on the W10.

Both headphones are very easy on sibilance, which is a big plus point to me.

Overally I think the ESW10 is a clear step up from the ESW9 I used to have, although that is also a very good headphone in its own right.
I'm very happy with my pair, I think this one is definitely a keeper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #182 of 1,717
tk3, thanks for your response. It almost sounds like you prefer the 10JPN over 11JPN. Or at least it sounds like I would. Maybe they would be a better value if I knew of them a year ago. Oh well.

If you don't mind me asking a few more questions.

1. How are the details on the 10JPN compared to the 11JPN?

2. How does the overall bass (quality and quantity) compare to the 11JPN?

Thanks so much!
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #183 of 1,717
They are both great headphones that excel at different areas, so I really couldn't say which one I prefer.
Since they are both limited edition headphones, I'd just keep both rather than choose and use whichever my mood is at, barring any financial difficulties or the appearance of that one "must have" item.
They are fairly expensive at $500-800+, but if you plan to keep and enjoy them for many years, I think it's not all that significant in the big scheme of things, even for someone with an average income.
That is, assuming you don't have any other hobbies or expenses that also have the "black hole" effect regarding the financial aspect.
smily_headphones1.gif

As said above, the ESW10 easily trumps the W11JPN in instrument separation and imaging, so this is a big factor that makes the W10 more detailed than the W11.
At least, in the hours I've spent with the new headphone, I am often hearing things ("tertiary" background instruments/vocals) that I didn't notice before, or not as easily at least.

About the bass, I really couldn't say.
I don't have the W11 with me here at the moment, but I suspect the larger headphone has the higher bass quantity.
I feel neither headphone is bass deficient, but they are not boomy either.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #184 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are both great headphones that excel at different areas, so I really couldn't say which one I prefer.
Since they are both limited edition headphones, I'd just keep both rather than choose and use whichever my mood is at, barring any financial difficulties or the appearance of that one "must have" item.
They are fairly expensive at $500-800+, but if you plan to keep and enjoy them for many years, I think it's not all that significant in the big scheme of things, even for someone with an average income.
That is, assuming you don't have any other hobbies or expenses that also have the "black hole" effect regarding the financial aspect.
smily_headphones1.gif

As said above, the ESW10 easily trumps the W11JPN in instrument separation and imaging, so this is a big factor that makes the W10 more detailed than the W11.
At least, in the hours I've spent with the new headphone, I am often hearing things ("tertiary" background instruments/vocals) that I didn't notice before, or not as easily at least.

About the bass, I really couldn't say.
I don't have the W11 with me here at the moment, but I suspect the larger headphone has the higher bass quantity.
I feel neither headphone is bass deficient, but they are not boomy either.

Excellent. Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

The 11JPN's go for about $900-$1100 now-a-days, and right now, I can only afford one. And to boot, the 11's are so extremely difficult to find, I see myself getting closer and closer to purchasing a pair of these 10JPN's.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #186 of 1,717
Two things:

1. My ESW10 came in a box with an ESW9 and I thankfully did not get hit with any customs.

2. Why isn't anyone complaining about the pouch. The ESW9 comes with a nicer pouch and the $120 ANC7 comes with a beautiful.

At $600 MSRP one should at least hope for an AT-HPP5 thrown in.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #187 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Voltron. I would purchase the ATH-NC7 for noise canceling. They sound fantastic, comes with a case and a airplane adapter. It also cancels out sounds great. You can them on Amazon for around $127 shipped.

Also I have the same experience with my ESW9s as the ESW10JPN is on the way. I actually thought the ES7 isolated just a little better, but with the ESW9 you can hear the ourside sounds around you. Have a good one.

Thanks Laine, I really think that is the best thing to do. I was curious to compare the high-end Sennheiser noise cancelling cans to the AT version but my guess is the AT will be good and a lot cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what did you guys do?
confused_face(1).gif

It is nearly unimaginable that one Head-Fier could somehow have the shirt of another, isn't it?!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #189 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as soon as payment from selling my 'phones come in.. I'll order ESW10JPN.

I never realized how "DAMN YOU HEAD-FI!" could come more truer.

frown.gif

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #190 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fullmulletalchemist/nelson_ha_ha.jpg
evil_smiley.gif

that hurt my feelings
frown.gif

well good part is that I'll receive payments in US currency, so I don't have to go through paypal's ridiculous currency exchange more than once.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #191 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two things:

2. Why isn't anyone complaining about the pouch. The ESW9 comes with a nicer pouch and the $120 ANC7 comes with a beautiful.

At $600 MSRP one should at least hope for an AT-HPP5 thrown in.

Yup, thats what I am thinking, or even a fancied up one with the name on the front. I have the W5000, which costs a few hundred more than this phone, and it came with a massive custom molded case. (albeit ugly as sin, but still, its the thought that counts.)

The boxing for this phone is the most minimal I have seen for any headphones I own. Even the ER6i and Klipsch Image (half the price of the 10JPN) came with a real case, not just a velvet bag.

Wondering, as this is not an official USA released headphone, whether the preferences in Japan are different. Perhaps they see things the other way, and prefer a nice velvet sack to a carrying case?

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #192 of 1,717
I would rather have a nice small hard case also, that way I could store the headphones in my bag without worrying that they might get squished against something in the pouch if my bag happens be very full that day.

But oh well, it's the sound that counts

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #193 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is with the price rises on the ESW9 and ESW10?

I know the latter is limited edition so that is part of it, but I now see the ESW9 is another 30 notes more than I paid from just yesterday!

It's the exchange rates. The ESW10 now is actually cheaper then when i ordered it (42000 Yen now vs 43200 Yen) but due to euro getting weaker by the day now its 450 Euro shipped from PJ vs 380 when i ordered.
Limited has nothing to do with that, the price goes down on these the same as all other ATs after their release. Thats been the case with all to date (w11jpn, w2002, L3000 and so on). The L3000 was on sale for around 1000 Euro when the last few sold out. Especially in Japan hypes here on head-fi and other countries in general dont matter AT ALL.
Used L3000s can be had for 120000-200000 Yen not counting auctions as these are closely watched by foreign bidders which is their only chance to buy rare stuff from japan.
Local audio dealers are another thing, i bought my L3000 1 1/2 years ago locally for 800 Euro
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #194 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. My ESW10 came in a box with an ESW9 and I thankfully did not get hit with any customs.

Are you saying that you got both an ESW9 and a ESW10 in the same box by accident, or are you saying they both came in the same type packaging?
If it was the former, you are a very lucky person!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back