Lilith Audio Player
Jun 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #391 of 505
Quote:
LILITH is very intuitive and excellent player.

Let see new toy effect wear thin valley, Chinese goddess syndrome of lotus petal fire!!!

Absolutely! 
atsmile.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #392 of 505
lee,maybe if i get a ulilith tattoo the coder will finally do the gig and allow the 5.1 to stereo via ulilith thing to happen.

lee, you recommend the wave arts vst pre amp.but this is a tough one. anything you recommend for a vst power amp ?? non guitar amp vst, i mean something that functions like a power amp for home audiophile listening or whatever.

anyway i think (yes the novice is speaking) that the "high end triode pre-amp" setting in the diamond cut products virtual amp collection (i think in ulilith you have to get this vst in your dsp list and then click on it and pick the select title option which allows you to bring up the presets of diamond cuts virtual amp collection.)

i think the diamond cut's "high end triode" setting digs into notes a bit more than the wave arts.but the wave arts is sooooo much more larger sounding.

and special bonus points the diamond cut virtual amp collection has a  purist pentode preset(i set it for warm and 2 stage class a) that works great for listening via media player or for fooling around with songs before burning to cd-r or whatever.great...

anyway i'm still pretty new to ulilith is there a version that's prefered sound quality wise ???

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #393 of 505
I just read the first 12 pages of this thread, well... that was entertaining.

I think these posts deserve a quote...

I believe that every part of the signal chain (in its wider sense) affects the quality of sound we hear - everything from the way it was recorded, mixed, and written onto CD, then read, ripped, and travelled through the computer, soundcard, and finally into the 'phones (which obviously impart their own imperfections). How can this Not be the case?

No matter how well the various components are designed and assembled, they cannot be absolutely perfect - and the same is true for audio players since their signal path travels through many imperfect components!

I think the big question is whether or not these imperfections are bad enough to cause a noticeable degradation in sound quality.

Without understanding the "nuts and bolts" of how audio players work, I believe uLilith uses a better signal path than other music players, resulting in a superior musical experience. The difference in sq between uLilith and the other audio players I've tried is simply too clear and obvious.

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You constantly contradict yourself.

I think the point being made is that even high grade optical fibre imparts a degree of imperfection into the data stream.

With that being the case, how can plain old PCB's and wires - regardless of their quality - transfer every single bit, perfectly, from the source (CD, hard drive, etc) to our amps, 'phones, and ears?

Software can be designed to send data exactly as it was laid down, through our computers and ultimately into our ears - but that will only ever happen in a theoretical model! When the software is applied to a real, physical system, the hardware will always apply its own imperfections - resulting in an output signal which is never perfect.

I can't tell you why uLilith produces a higher sound quality, but I can tell you that my ears perceive a difference - and I like what I hear!

This is true, no part of the signal chain is absolutely perfect.

Perfection when it's posited on head-fi, is usually referring to theoretical models of such. 

The escape clause used is the components are not perfect, but the imperfections are outside of the human audible range.  The issue is that is a theoretical model too using a strict parameter system on what is audible, and where it's limits are.

The next escape clause is the human mind is allegedly very weak in perceiving audio, so the default position is to dismiss perceptions on audio unless there is a valid theory or some kind of hard evidence to support it.

The issue there is your entire stance on audio will be defined by what has been pre-evidenced.  As a statistical model that isn't very intact if you look at the flux of discovery and innovation over time.

In other words if you look at audio 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, the statistical chance that flac via ASIO in foobar2k is 100% perfect and will still be the reference standard in 2050 is less than 1%.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #394 of 505
I just downloaded Lilith. It's great. I also found it sounds better than many others players, including foobar and aimp. But I ahve a problem: I downloaded it in my Downloads folder, as a compressed file. I didn't know if it were a standalone application or required installation, so I extracted the file in the same Downloads folder. It was a standalone application, and I ran it from there. But when I copied the extracted file to a folder in my Program Files folder the program refused to open. I got a popup telling: missing VCOM.cfg.
Could anybody help me? Thanks

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #395 of 505
I'm guessing one of uLilith's cfg files stores the path to VCOM.cfg which resides in uLilith\VCOM. uLilith's cfg files are stored in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Project9k

Unless you wanna go in and edit the paths by hand, simply delete the *.cfg files contained in this directory. Hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #396 of 505
Hi fufula! Thank you.
I discovered this folder yet, and tried what you suggest, changing its name to _Project9k (I think it's riskier to delete it), copying all files in \Downloads\\2011-09-15_x86\2011-09-15_x86 to \Program Files\uLilith and running uLilith.exe from there, but again I got the error

"NVLibCore.dll Load Error!
An error occurred while initializeing VCOM library. VCOM.cfg file may not be found. "

When I ran again uLilith.exe from its \Downloads\\2011-09-15_x86\2011-09-15_x86 location the program opened, creating a new Project9k folder.
Then?

NVLibCore.dll is included in \Downloads\\2011-09-15_x86\2011-09-15_x86, and its date is the original 09/15/2011.
confused.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #397 of 505
Hi, sorry to hear it didn't work. uLilith stores its settings in the registry as well. If searching there and removing all its entries doesn't help, you could try contacting the developer. He's a nice guy and he answers his e-mail.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #400 of 505
Just had a chance to check this out...

Compared to Foobar2000 I find that it has even higher clarity and richness. Notice it especially in the cymbals for example, they have more of a ring to them.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #401 of 505
foobar is literally unlistenable to my ears, uLilith is a God send.

This said, I was going a bit crazy with random freezes after +8H of playback and it would appear that setting the ASIO buffering to 8/8 was pushing it....either playback would freeze and I'd need to press STOP then START again, or uLilith would simply exit.

I was using modified 1.43 XMOS drivers from the DacMagic+ on my DP1 so I thought this was the problem, but the stock 1.22 work perfectly fine with 2/8 so I'll let it play for a few days(I never turn off my rig, can't be hassled to wait for the damn thing to "warm up") then I'll try 2/8 w/ the 1.43 all over again 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #403 of 505
Quote:
Try 64bit. It is one of the reasons ulilith sounds so amazing.

Personally, I've never been too fund of 64fp....it's being downconverted to 24int by Windows AFAIK so you'd be better off outputting 24int to boot.

I used to prefer 24int over 16int(especially because I use a bunch of VST plugins for EQ and xfeed) but the revision history of the XMOS drivers is very clear about the fact that 32int is fully supported over ASIO since 1.33: http://pastebin.com/nmWumqPK
Quote:
New: ASIO supports 32 bits per sample transparent data path.

I don't really know/care about what happens after it exits the XMOS controller considering that PCM1794A is capped to 24/192, but on slightly sibilating vocal tracks 64fp sounds shrill as hell and 32int much clearer/"holographic" than 24int 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #404 of 505
I found the sweet spot with 24-bit integer as well, that's when I felt like uLilith with my AK4396 DAC into my Tesla T5p's had something special going on.  The difference was faint, like a phantom difference, but the music sounded more effortless somehow.

With my new Musiland Dragon on the way with native 32bit/384kHz support I'll try 32-bit.

I read an article once that computers 'prefer' 16-bit and 32-bit on a code level.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #405 of 505
Wouldn't be surprising if they did like 16 and 32 bit more, they're powers of 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back