Lilith Audio Player
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #121 of 505
so I asked its coder and he told that all it does is bit-perfect ASIO, hah!

and it supports VST plugins in 64bit float apparently...I learned it by fixing the resource file, I'll look into it.

there's also some known issues w/ tags in FLAC/APE files, as EAC adds non-standard ones...he will also fix it.

I think we're all set! gapless APE/FLAC/MP3, VST plugins in 64bit float...now all I need is a custom mixing matrix, he's told me that such a plugin was in the works
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #122 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now were back again to the age old question... which one is bitperfect
biggrin.gif
hehehe Or from now on we should abolish that question and probably ask... Which one is closer to being BitPerfect?

This is nuts... I'm gonna stop this and be content with foobar hahaha

I would just worry about which one sounds the best to you.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #123 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we're all set! gapless APE/FLAC/MP3, VST plugins in 64bit float...now all I need is a custom mixing matrix, he's told me that such a plugin was in the works
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, you're almost there - Winamp functions available 5 years ago.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #124 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL!

Funny to want bitperfect and VST DSP support. Let's make sure our files are perfect so we can ruin them with DSP effects.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #125 of 505
Quote:

hehe, born to troll right?

winamp plugins only work in 16int AFAIK...and there's no custom mixing matrix possible, to go 5.1 > binaural stereo either from what I've seen...ffdshow and foobar have it, though.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #126 of 505
Quote:

winamp plugins only work in 16int AFAIK...and there's no custom mixing matrix possible, to go 5.1 > binaural stereo either from what I've seen...ffdshow and foobar have it, though.

You would know.

LOL, yes let's take your stereo music files....make sure they are bit perfect through ASIO, then jam them through a bunch of DSP effects and if that is not enough up mix them to 5.1? Wait, wait, you would probably further mess with them using reclock also right?

Wow, sounds like a great plan!

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #127 of 505
Quote:

I'm only kidding
tongue.gif
There's a vst wrapper plugin so you could do any kind of DSP you want. The bit depth is up to the vst wrapper, I'm not sure what it is, but it would be higher than 16bit I think. Not sure about 5.1 sound though. Never used that. I do see a "surround sound" option.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #128 of 505
yes, I just double checked...winamp5 only support winamp2 DSP plugins apparently, and these are limited to 16int by design.

foobar does 32float DSP, and Lilith does it in 64float...I've also sent the author the int<>float Reclock code several VST plugins coders(such as WingFeather) fixed for me....soon Lilith will meet all my expectations! and I looooove how it sounds w/ ASIO4ALL on XP SP3 anyway
biggrin.gif

the VST wrapper in winamp is also limited to 16int, and 16int is not cool for DSP...especially if you run several DSP plugins in a row.

well, in foobar or ffdshow you can input a 5.1/7.1 file, run a custom mixing matrix to get a 3Dish "out of head" binaural sound by putting the surround channels in inverted phase...the effect is
eek.gif

it's been thoroughly discussed on David Griesinger's site: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/

the deal breaker for me is that foobar won't do gapless mp3(apparently it requires LAME encoded files w/ the right headers??), and uLilith will...also foobar won't let you set automatic profiles for stereo/5.1 files. Who wants to select profiles manually in 2010?
rolleyes.gif

ffdshow isn't really an option either as it can't do gapless by design, and is also limited to 16int DSP due to the winamp2 DSP implementation...plus, uLilith's coder is very friendly and is only willing to improve his player, so the better!
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #129 of 505
Quote:

I'm only kidding
tongue.gif
There's a vst wrapper plugin so you could do any kind of DSP you want. The bit depth is up to the vst wrapper, I'm not sure what it is, but it would be higher than 16bit I think. Not sure about 5.1 sound though. Never used that. I do see a "surround sound" option.

There are a couple VST and DirectX effect wrappers for Winamp.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #130 of 505
Hmm yeah, if the wrapper only does 16bit in a chain that's not so good.

Interesting about the 5.1/binaural stuff. I don't have any 5.1 music but it would be cool for DVDs. VLC probably has a plugin for that already...it has a plugin for itching your ass for you. I am pretty sceptical about it being "out of the head" soundstage though. I've only heard such a thing once, through cheap earbuds during the Sensaura 3d sound demo from an integrated sound chip. And I've tried probably a dozen things that claim to do it, all failing miserably, but they all worked with 2-channel audio only. Will check it out, thanks.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #131 of 505
hummm, I still can't find where to set the VST plugins?!?! I will wait for the author's reply.

well, I did a demo for the guys on the reclock forum...that's a 2 mins audio excerpt from the tornado scene in the movie "The Lucky Ones".

the original 5.1 AC3 file: tornado.ac3

a dummy 23.976 MKV file w/ a 32float stereo downmix using Ozone4 + a 3D'ish custom matrix that David Griensinger gave me: Scrolling_23.976fps_720p.rar

you need to use Haali's Media Splitter, as it's the only does that does 48/32float WAV files AFAIK.

I believe I've managed to get a 3D'ish sound w/o being as wet as DH, the rain hits HARD as hell on my cd1k...you try, you tell me
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #132 of 505
Quote:

VLC

AFAIK, VLC doesn't support any kind of bit-perfect audio rendering...no ASIO/KS/WASAPI, no soup.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #133 of 505
I think you're right. I wouldn't worry too much about it while watching a movie though. Also, pretty sure the kmixer is bit-perfect so long as only one thing is using the sound device.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #134 of 505
DS can be made bit-perfect on XP if all the sliders are set to the max apparently, but it would appear to be impossible on Vista/7: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Dogbert is not exactly a clown when it comes to windows audio, as he happens to be a highly skilled drivers engineer.

well, Reclock allows you to watch movies in KS/WASAPI exclusive...that's good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #135 of 505
Quote:

I think you're right. I wouldn't worry too much about it while watching a movie though. Also, pretty sure the kmixer is bit-perfect so long as only one thing is using the sound device.

There is a Kmixer in XP, but it was removed and the entire audio stack was redesigned to the UAA in VISTA/WIn7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back