Light Harmonic GEEK
Aug 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,658

Supperconductor

New Head-Fier
I can't believe there isn't a thread already about this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones

If there is, I just suck at searching...

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 1,658
This project has only been up for 5 days and already the cheaper pledges have gone.  I managed to get in for $159 so not so bad.  The rrp for when it is released in January 2014 is $299.  It looks like a great option as it supports higher definition formats like DXD and DSD.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 1,658
I got in at $139 and was surprised there isn't a huge buzz about it here already. I was about to purchase and upgrade for my iBasso D10 when I stumbled upon the kickstarter project. I'm hoping it has enough current to drive my HD-600's or I'll have to consider getting another more suitable pair of headphones for pairing with the GEEK. I'm going to be using it at the office. Also, direct/integer support with Audirvana Plus is a must have feature for me. Audirvana elevated the performance of my iBasso D10 quite a bit.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 1,658
Hi, superconductor

Thanks for starting this thread. And I would love to know what type of headphone amp you think that will fit your headphone?

Thanks,

Larry Ho/ Light Harmonic

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 1,658
Yes. I will answer the technical related questions here... 

For output impedance, we have several design thoughts:

First of all, we need to make GEEK sound nice when pairing with low-Z headphones, e.g. 30ohm around.
Second, we need to take care of high-Z headphone as well... e.g. 300Ohm Sennheiser HD series.
Third, we hope to follow the gold ratio rule of thumb, I know not everyone agree on this, the output Z of GEEK and input Z of Headphone 
ratio should be around 1:7 ~ 1:8...

So 4 ohm is the value we came out. But we will continue to experience more with more headphones to see what is the best value.

IMHO, output Z is not always the lower the better... :wink:

Larry

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 1,658
I signed up yesterday so I am looking forward to this product. If it can sound better than the Meridian and decode DSD, it would definitely be a winner. Although the GEEK is cheap, it will be quite expensive for me because I will want to get a dedicated computer as my music server and a good A-D to archive some of my LP's in DSD. :) Good luck in getting the GEEK to production. Chuck

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 1,658
Quote:
Hi, superconductor

Thanks for starting this thread. And I would love to know what type of headphone amp you think that will fit your headphone?

Thanks,

Larry Ho/ Light Harmonic

Something with lots of current 
smily_headphones1.gif
 should do nicely. I'm using an HD-600 now but seriously considering a planar magnetic type, HIFIMAN HE-500 or the new Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Alpha. Yeah, I realize I'm probably asking too much from a portable amp, but this is going to primarily for office use.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 1,658
Hi, it's good to know that Larry is in the house! :)

Supperconductor, I have searched for post about GEEK a few days ago and I got nothing. But suddenly today I see people start talking about it in head-fi. I just came from another thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/677972/new-dac-amp-on-kickstarter-the-geek). I'm one of the backers too. So lucky that I manage to slot into the $139 category, but because I'm living outside of US, I need to top up $20 and take makes my pledge to $159, but I'm still very happy for it.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 1,658

Users who are viewing this thread

Back