Light Harmonic GEEK
May 2, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,591 of 1,658
The Geek Out can't be connected this way, need the female connector of the Slacker or similar..this is actually what I thought I'd be able to do with this. I do have a Wave coming (whenever that happens), it would need to just connect out from a micro usb into a usb. Many Preamps and DA converters do this now (My Peachtree Grandpre will take usb, I believe), but it is kind of odd, seems to me...

May 2, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,593 of 1,658
LightSpeed = Lightspeed 10G now and can be single cable (USB B-USB A) or split (USB B-dual USB A)
LightSpeed 1G = Single cable
LightSpeed 2G = Split cable
LightSpeed Micro = Single cable (microUSB-USB A)
LightSpeed Slacker/1G extender cable = Single cable (female USB A-male USB A)

May 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,594 of 1,658
Sorry for my stupid question, but when i disconnect my K550 from the Geek Out, there's a "thud" or "pop" (i don't know how to describe it)
it also happens when i shut down the computer and the Geek Out is still connected with the headphones plugged in(but not as loud)
What is the best way to disconnect the headphones and\or Geek Out from the computer but avoiding this noise?
Thanks.

May 23, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,595 of 1,658
Im dying to hear the V2. The old 450 is still amazing me. It drives the He560 just beautifully. Better base response than I get from the Lyr with any of the 5 types of tubes ive put in it so far. Not as loud of course but plenty loud enough as long as they are plugged into the .47 side. weird.
Someday i'll be comparing it to the pulse and the V2 and the lyr with the HGs ...but for now I can't recommend it enough as a price performer.

May 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,596 of 1,658
haha I also drive my he560 from a geek out 450 sometimes.  it's great and gets loud enough.  added a schiit wyrd and it's even better.   

May 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,597 of 1,658
Reading a bit on the LH site, now I feel bad I didn't go for the GO Special Edition V2, or whatever they call it...have the V1, it really, really sounds good...

May 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,598 of 1,658
^^dont worry Doc. If LH stays true to form you'll get another chance.

May 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,599 of 1,658
I think I'd go for it...the problem with the way they do it, they'll have 7 available, and offer them at 3AM Eastern time, so they'll be gone when I wake up. At least, judging from many other limited releases (but, to be fair, I did manage to get one of the GO V1 SE's). :)

May 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,600 of 1,658
I struggled with this one for a full minute. I have a go450 and my primary hps are the He560 and the zmf's vibro. Both really get loud enough for quiet nights but there are a lot of noisy nights here and I felt the added power was an incentive as much as new implementations. And I was duped by the $1 reservation .

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,602 of 1,658
Had some mini-meet impressions...I can now verify with a Geek Out V2 prototype in-house (on loan).  This V2 can only do 1000, not 100/1000 like the production units will be able to do.  This one says on the 3D-printed case, “PROTOTYPE EP2 2015-05-01 6 of 25”.

My impressions here are mostly with UERM and switching back and forth between units.  I think both V1 and V2 pair really well with the UERM...I also now have the FitEar TG!334 for a bassier/fun alternative.  With UERM I prefer the FRM Geek Out filter and with the TG!334, the TCM.  Differences are slight but seem to be in upper mids/low treble, just a touch.  At times I used HD800 (to test sub-bass, for example).

Source: MacBook Air, Audirvana+, High-Res files or Redbook. 
Used Apricorn cable with 5V pin covered and Anker external battery power for Geek Outs.
Headphones: mostly UERM, straight out of the units.  0.47 ohm output. FRM filter. Easiest to pick out differences.  Also HD800 out of 47ohm output (modded with foam and shelf liner).
Amp:  I did try both V1 450 and V2 1000 out of my Leck when I compared them to the ODAC. (Both GOs stomped the ODAC with air and resolution. Time to finally sell ODAC.)

V2: Biggest differences in sound from the V1? More treble extension and more resolution with V2- so definitely more air...seems a little brighter compared to V1 because of the extension & resolution. Vocals are closer and more fleshed out with resolution. You can hear the reverb in the space better with V2, there is also more layering from front to back in the headstage. Mids- neither V1/V2 are really “dry” but the V2 sounds a touch “wet” or sweeter compared to V1.  Not sure if this comes from the resolution or the extension up top. The extra treble can be just a touch "hissy" with UERM in a very small/narrow-sounding peak with my sibilance vocal test tracks...but not on my other phones so may be hitting a treble peak on UERM? Overall smoothness comes out through more resolution instead of top-end roll-off or blunted detail. Don’t really hear sub-bass with either V1 or V2 or ODAC > UERM/HD800.

V1 sounds a little drier, warmer in presentation, less resolution. Seems like more bass/slam on the V1 450 while listening to Massive Attack’s Angel or Hell Freezes Over Hotel California at times because of the warmer presentation and difference in resolution/presentation. The individual voices may sound more separate due to less resolution in between louder sounds.  Headstage does seem a bit more like a stage with V1, though both sound mostly “in the head” with UERM.  Both are in the head, but the V2 puts you definitely inside the mix.  Listed factors can make it a little easier to pick out individual guitar strings and voices on V1 and can be perceived as having some more individual weight or dynamics. Do you think of the overall dynamics of the entire presentation or do you concentrate on singular voices within the mix to establish the dynamics of a piece of gear?  Depends how you slice and dice this or if you are doing gear comparos vs. just enjoying music overall.  Will get differing opinions on this I think.  I’ve been trying to pick some of these aspects apart by “zooming in” & also “stepping back” while listening.  Some people like the Sennheiser HD800 “away from stage presentation” and some like the Grado “tripping over the cables on the stage” presentation. This is less overt, but within a headstage, there are some differences between V1/V2.

V1 has some slight noise floor with UERM, so will definitely have some noise with sensitive IEMs.  I usually use GO into Leck when I use UERM with GO 450.  Gives me less noise and a physical pot so I don’t have to use the laptop buttons.  The V2 is a 1000 prototype, slight hiss with it as well but very low and production V2 will have gain buttons and be adjustable for either 100/1000 or 100/450/1000 for the Infinity version..

V2 is a bit more "in your face" due to treble/dynamics/being in the middle of the stage, but it is impressive and engaging. More resolution and air, more layering in 3D space.  You may like one or the other depending upon phones you have, preferences, or other factors listed.  You may want to keep both V1 and V2 if you can swing it until you know what you naturally want to grab when you want to listen.

Will I ever want to use my 720 or 1000 if I have a V2+?  Right now I think I will sell all Geek Outs, get a V2+ or V2+ Infinity for the three gain settings.  V2+ will do 100/1000 gain. What also clinches it for me is the V2+ version has internal battery- I don’t need the Apricorn cable & Anker external battery for use with MacBook or iPhone.  Just Velcro.­­

Both V1 450 Production & V2 Prototype (5/1/2015) straight into UERM impress me. Both show that the UERM can do great bass.  V1- still so good, versatile, a killer value, warmer, bit more bass impact.

The V1 has is a smooth/refined sound with good resolution/tonality. Slightly farther away presentation of vocals in headstage, slightly more relaxed in resolution/top-end, some more bass impact overall (somewhat due to tonal balance). V1 is potentially less fatiguing than V2 depending upon preferences/phones/recordings.  Remember the filter choices for slight tuning. V1 has “Solid” factor and does little wrong…a lot well.  V2 has “Wow” factor and does some stuff even better in resolution/upper FR.

Edit:  Pics or it didn't happen (though some of you might have seen a video)

(The Mini-Schiit stack is there to do some Sonic Frontiers TransDAC/Assemblage 1 testing tomorrow.)

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,603 of 1,658

] Had some mini-meet impressions...I can now verify with a Geek Out V2 prototype in-house (on loan).  This V2 can only do 1000, not 100/1000 like the production units will be able to do.  This one says on the 3D-printed case, “PROTOTYPE EP2 2015-05-01 6 of 25”.

My impressions here are mostly with UERM and switching back and forth between units.  I think both V1 and V2 pair really well with the UERM...I also now have the FitEar TG!334 for a bassier/fun alternative.  With UERM I prefer the FRM Geek Out filter and with the TG!334, the TCM.  Differences are slight but seem to be in upper mids/low treble, just a touch.  At times I used HD800 (to test sub-bass, for example).

Source: MacBook Air, Audirvana+, High-Res files or Redbook. 
Used Apricorn cable with 5V pin covered and Anker external battery power for Geek Outs.
Headphones: mostly UERM, straight out of the units.  0.47 ohm output. FRM filter. Easiest to pick out differences.  Also HD800 out of 47ohm output (modded with foam and shelf liner).
Amp:  I did try both V1 450 and V2 1000 out of my Leck when I compared them to the ODAC. (Both GOs stomped the ODAC with air and resolution. Time to finally sell ODAC.)

V2: Biggest differences in sound from the V1? More treble extension and more resolution with V2- so definitely more air...seems a little brighter compared to V1 because of the extension & resolution. Vocals are closer and more fleshed out with resolution. You can hear the reverb in the space better with V2, there is also more layering from front to back in the headstage. Mids- neither V1/V2 are really “dry” but the V2 sounds a touch “wet” or sweeter compared to V1.  Not sure if this comes from the resolution or the extension up top. The extra treble can be just a touch "hissy" with UERM in a very small/narrow-sounding peak with my sibilance vocal test tracks...but not on my other phones so may be hitting a treble peak on UERM? Overall smoothness comes out through more resolution instead of top-end roll-off or blunted detail. Don’t really hear sub-bass with either V1 or V2 or ODAC > UERM/HD800.

V1 sounds a little drier, warmer in presentation, less resolution. Seems like more bass/slam on the V1 450 while listening to Massive Attack’s Angel or Hell Freezes Over Hotel California at times because of the warmer presentation and difference in resolution/presentation. The individual voices may sound more separate due to less resolution in between louder sounds.  Headstage does seem a bit more like a stage with V1, though both sound mostly “in the head” with UERM.  Both are in the head, but the V2 puts you definitely inside the mix.  Listed factors can make it a little easier to pick out individual guitar strings and voices on V1 and can be perceived as having some more individual weight or dynamics. Do you think of the overall dynamics of the entire presentation or do you concentrate on singular voices within the mix to establish the dynamics of a piece of gear?  Depends how you slice and dice this or if you are doing gear comparos vs. just enjoying music overall.  Will get differing opinions on this I think.  I’ve been trying to pick some of these aspects apart by “zooming in” & also “stepping back” while listening.  Some people like the Sennheiser HD800 “away from stage presentation” and some like the Grado “tripping over the cables on the stage” presentation. This is less overt, but within a headstage, there are some differences between V1/V2.

V1 has some slight noise floor with UERM, so will definitely have some noise with sensitive IEMs.  I usually use GO into Leck when I use UERM with GO 450.  Gives me less noise and a physical pot so I don’t have to use the laptop buttons.  The V2 is a 1000 prototype, slight hiss with it as well but very low and production V2 will have gain buttons and be adjustable for either 100/1000 or 100/450/1000 for the Infinity version..

V2 is a bit more "in your face" due to treble/dynamics/being in the middle of the stage, but it is impressive and engaging. More resolution and air, more layering in 3D space.  You may like one or the other depending upon phones you have, preferences, or other factors listed.  You may want to keep both V1 and V2 if you can swing it until you know what you naturally want to grab when you want to listen.

Will I ever want to use my 720 or 1000 if I have a V2+?  Right now I think I will sell all Geek Outs, get a V2+ or V2+ Infinity for the three gain settings.  V2+ will do 100/1000 gain. What also clinches it for me is the V2+ version has internal battery- I don’t need the Apricorn cable & Anker external battery for use with MacBook or iPhone.  Just Velcro.­­

Both V1 450 Production & V2 Prototype (5/1/2015) straight into UERM impress me. Both show that the UERM can do great bass.  V1- still so good, versatile, a killer value, warmer, bit more bass impact.

The V1 has is a smooth/refined sound with good resolution/tonality. Slightly farther away presentation of vocals in headstage, slightly more relaxed in resolution/top-end, some more bass impact overall (somewhat due to tonal balance). V1 is potentially less fatiguing than V2 depending upon preferences/phones/recordings.  Remember the filter choices for slight tuning. V1 has “Solid” factor and does little wrong…a lot well.  V2 has “Wow” factor and does some stuff even better in resolution/upper FR.

Edit:  Pics or it didn't happen (though some of you might have seen a video)

(The Mini-Schiit stack is there to do some Sonic Frontiers TransDAC/Assemblage 1 testing tomorrow.)

Great impressions! 

Tangentially-related Q: Does Zerodeefex have his opamps swapped out for 627s? I wasn't sure if Bill-P did that or not before selling it to him. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,604 of 1,658
Nope:  His opamps are AD 844AN.  Buffers:  AD847JN.  I'm running out of time today, will have to listen to them sometime this week. :frowning2:

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,605 of 1,658
  Nope:  His opamps are AD 844AN.  Buffers:  AD847JN.  I'm running out of time today, will have to listen to them sometime this week. :frowning2:

Very cool! Thanks. The stock opamps aren't very bad at all. The TransDAC is a hell of a unit, especially considering how much they generally go for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back