Light Harmonic GEEK
Apr 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #676 of 1,658

Ha! Me too, you will feel better about it all once you have one in hand and are able to listen. Do I wish I had spent more now...probably :D

From what you've said, it sounds close at hand now.

My two GO 1000 (s/n 626 and 629) and GO 450 (2607) arrived today.  I have the drivers installed and playing music through JRivers v19.128 on WIN 8.1.  Nothing prepares you for how warm it gets from such a small package. 

I am playing a Valarie Joyce album from Blue Coast that I  have both the wav and DSD file.   I will play both and see how much difference I can hear.  The GO does recognize the DSD with the Blue DSD light coming on after I set JRivers correctly. 

The one thing they didn't mention is that with the Slacker cable it faces upside down.  I would say that is design flaw since you can't see the lights.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #677 of 1,658
So after exchanging a few emails with LH Labs about my noise issue, I was told that there shouldn't be any background noise whatsoever and may have a faulty unit. They are sending me a shipping label to send it back and will be sending me a replacement unit. Thumbs up to LH Labs' customer service!

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #678 of 1,658
Nice to hear...from the whole campaign they seemed to be incredibly responsive to us consumer types. I was curious, have the Heaven V, wasn't home when I read the posts though. No hiss/noise with my GO 1000, played some lossless files from HDTracks (Louis and Ella-mono, Lorde, Grateful Dead), no issues with noise or instruments out of balance/off to one side or another. It is a really lovely combo...I know they are in shipping frenzy with all the preorders, hope they get you the replacement soon, you have a treat in store :ksc75smile:

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #679 of 1,658
Nice to hear...from the whole campaign they seemed to be incredibly responsive to us consumer types. I was curious, have the Heaven V, wasn't home when I read the posts though. No hiss/noise with my GO 1000, played some lossless files from HDTracks (Louis and Ella-mono, Lorde, Grateful Dead), no issues with noise or instruments out of balance/off to one side or another. It is a really lovely combo...I know they are in shipping frenzy with all the preorders, hope they get you the replacement soon, you have a treat in store
ksc75smile.gif

Yeah despite people complaining about them trying to take everyone's money, I think they're doing a pretty good job, especially since they're relatively new at all this. I won't be able to play any of my 192/24 lossless files from HDtracks after I send my current GO 450 back, gonna be a sad couple days but really looking forward to the fully functional GO to arrive so I can hear my Heaven V at its full potential!

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #680 of 1,658

I asked the question towards another member on this thread about the reset to max volume on the GO 450.  My ears are still ringing.  I haven't owned every portable USB/DAC combo, but this is the first product that behaves likes this regardless if it needs custom OS drivers or not.  I'm speaking to users that uses the HP out as some experience here indicates the GO is being used as a DAC only. Having a yellow piece of warning is fine and dandy, but not acceptable if the product (including drivers), resets its volume to max with no way of saving a safe listening level to start from.  My guess for the GO volume behavior is written in the Windows drivers.  Hopefully, a driver update remedies this.

I guess most of us are used to normal volume control implementation of most DAC/Amp where we set the OS volume to maximum and adjust the output level using physical buttons on the DAC/Amp itself. I have a FiiO E17 and this is what I have been doing.But with the different volume control implementation of Geek Out, you can adjust volume using both the OS control or the volume buttons at the side of Geek Out. This is the behaviour I observed:

1. If you set the OS volume to 100% and lower the volume using Geek Out buttons, the new volume level will maintain at that level until you restart your computer or disconnect/reconnect Geek Out. Upon power cycle, Geek Out will get volume data from the OS and set according to it. You can imagine OS volume as primary control and Geek Out volume as secondary control. It will refer back to primary control every time there is a power cycle.
  2. Geek Out volume control is relative to OS volume control. For example, if you set the OS volume to 50% and further adjust the volume using Geek Out volume buttons, the level will increase or decrease relative to the OS level. So the volume will be 51%, 52%, 53%.... or 49%, 48% 47%.... Bear in mind that Geek Out will always follow OS (primary volume) upon power cycle.
  3. Geek Out volume control offers finer steps. Each click increases or decreases by a small value. It's useful if you need very fine control of the volume.

Don't worry. Your Geek Out volume control is not broken or flawed. It just has different behaviour. After I got my Geek Out, I only adjust the volume using the OS volume control.

Some users were confused regarding the volume control and Larry gave his clarification here: http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/547-volume-control-of-geek-out.html

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #681 of 1,658
Got an email awhile back telling me my GO 720 has been shipped. Looks like I'll have it by next week. :D

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #682 of 1,658

The one thing they didn't mention is that with the Slacker cable it faces upside down.  I would say that is design flaw since you can't see the lights.

I think different computer has different orientation of the USB port. 

(image by: longbowbbs)

(image by: MikeyFresh)

The orientation seems to be correct for above usage. Maybe you can connect it to different computer to see if the orientation is correct or get a different USB extension cable. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #683 of 1,658
  Don't worry. Your Geek Out volume control is not broken or flawed. It just has different behaviour. After I got my Geek Out, I only adjust the volume using the OS volume control.

Some users were confused regarding the volume control and Larry gave his clarification here: http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekout/547-volume-control-of-geek-out.html

Thanks for the reply.  I bought the GO 450 from another member who originally took delivery from LH.  It makes more sense. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #686 of 1,658

My two GO 1000 (s/n 626 and 629) and GO 450 (2607) arrived today.  I have the drivers installed and playing music through JRivers v19.128 on WIN 8.1.  Nothing prepares you for how warm it gets from such a small package. 

I am playing a Valarie Joyce album from Blue Coast that I  have both the wav and DSD file.   I will play both and see how much difference I can hear.  The GO does recognize the DSD with the Blue DSD light coming on after I set JRivers correctly. 

I suppose it depends on which way the USB port from the computer is oriented.

They have the Geek Tweeky coming out..can't remember the actual name. But, it is a usb connector that rotates and bends....a ball joint sort of thing. It was around 10-15USD during the Pulse campaign

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #687 of 1,658
Cool. I have a 720 as well, though haven't received a shipping notification yet.

i never received a notification that it had actually shipped after i got the email giving the tracking number from the kool kat jazz email
but mine did ship, i just kept checking tracking, and i should be getting mine today, according to usps

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #688 of 1,658

i never received a notification that it had actually shipped after i got the email giving the tracking number from the kool kat jazz email
but mine did ship, i just kept checking tracking, and i should be getting mine today, according to usps

well, i've never even received a tracking no. yet. got the email that i could upgrade to the 720/1000, so i paid my $50 for the 720 upgrade, then that was that. haven't heard a peep since then...maybe sometime next week they'll start mass shipping the 720s...let us know your thoughts on the 720 when you get it, jay.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #689 of 1,658
I think different computer has different orientation of the USB port. 

(image by: longbowbbs)

(image by: MikeyFresh)

The orientation seems to be correct for above usage. Maybe you can connect it to different computer to see if the orientation is correct or get a different USB extension cable. :wink_face:

When plugged directly in without the slacker, the lights are on top so the slacker cause the flip on my Dell. I will have to find a replacement for the slacker as it what creates the problem.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #690 of 1,658
When plugged directly in without the slacker, the lights are on top so the slacker cause the flip on my Dell. I will have to find a replacement for the slacker as it what creates the problem.

Get the AQ DragonTail, it's only about $16 on Amazon and it does have the opposite orientation of the Slacker, as well as sounding better than the Slacker in my opinion.

More specifically, the DragonTail doesn't change the sound at all compared to just plugged directly into the computer's USB port, where the Slacker does add a very slight bit of artifice to the sound in my system and slightly shrinks/de-focuses the stereo sound stage/image too.

It's not a dramatic difference, the Slacker is OK for a free throw-in freebie, but at least with the sample I got it is the opposite orientation of the AudioQuest DragonTail, which is based on their very well regarded Carbon USB cable.

@yungyaw is correct, various different computers and/or hubs I own have different port orientation, so if there is an accepted standard for proper orientation no one seems to be following it closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back