Light Harmonic GEEK
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #661 of 1,658
  Just received my black Geek Out 450. So far sounds great right out of the box but just a few questions I want to bring up. First, has anyone found that there's quite a bit of noise when using IEMs, especially with the 0.47 ohm output? My Heaven V (16 ohms) sounds absolutely terrible with the 0.47 ohm output because of the amount of noise I'm getting. It's usable on the 47 ohm output but I'm still hearing some noise with no music playing. My HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC has no noise compared to the Geek Out. Second, what buffer settings are people using? I'm not exactly sure what difference the settings make.

All the current Geek Outs are just way too powerful for IEMs, especially ones as sensitive as the Heaven series.
That's why I proposed Geek Out 100 - and they are making it!
You should use your Geek as DAC only - this should make the noise go away.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #662 of 1,658

All the current Geek Outs are just way too powerful for IEMs, especially ones as sensitive as the Heaven series.
That's why I proposed Geek Out 100 - and they are making it!
You should use your Geek as DAC only - this should make the noise go away.

But it doesn't make sense that the 47 ohm output is way less noisy than the 0.47 ohm output, correct? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Because if it should be the other way around, then my unit is definitely defective.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #663 of 1,658

But it doesn't make sense that the 47 ohm output is way less noisy than the 0.47 ohm output, correct? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Because if it should be the other way around, then my unit is definitely defective.

When you use the 47 Ohm output, 3/4 of the power is burned before reaching the 16Ohm Heaven V.
Now the current has to be 4 times stronger, and higher current makes the noise less visible.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #665 of 1,658
  I just tried it with the V and the left jack is completely silent and I hear a slight hiss on the right jack when no music is playing.  

Hmm interesting. Are you using a USB power isolator?

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #667 of 1,658
  No, just the slacker and Geek.  

Well this gives me more confidence that I received a defective unit, thanks for letting me know Danny. Another person said he had the same problem as me in a comment in the latest kickstarter update so it looks like I'm not alone. I'll update here if I hear back from LH Labs.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #668 of 1,658

Well this gives me more confidence that I received a defective unit, thanks for letting me know Danny. Another person said he had the same problem as me in a comment in the latest kickstarter update so it looks like I'm not alone. I'll update here if I hear back from LH Labs.

That's what it seems which is unfortunate.  The synergy with the V is off the charts so you'll have something to look forward too.  

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #669 of 1,658
  That's what it seems which is unfortunate.  The synergy with the V is off the charts so you'll have something to look forward too.  

Yeah I get a taste of that synergy through the 47 ohm output, the bass seems more powerful than before. Which output do you prefer to use with the Heaven V more?

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #670 of 1,658
Yeah I get a taste of that synergy through the 47 ohm output, the bass seems more powerful than before. Which output do you prefer to use with the Heaven V more?

That's what I noticed right away was the bass. I like the .47 output since it's not as loud but didn't really give the 47 much of a listen except to test it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #672 of 1,658
  does anyone know what is the max current drawn from the USB bus by the geekout?

edit- just saw some questions about this in the other thread and it appears there is no official information.

Someone tested and posted results on their forum, it's in the "Who received their Geek Out" thread. 

Sorry, I cannot remember the numbers

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #674 of 1,658
I've posted on LH labs forum but they never get approved by the moderator so I thought I post here.

I received my GO 450 this week and I went about trying to get it to work with my iPhone 5. I first tried the iPhone camera connection kit straight into the iPhone and to no surprise I got the "this accessory uses too much power" warning and it didn't work. I then tried a usb hub without a battery and I got the same result. I then added a battery and bingo it worked. I use the Onkyo HF player and can confirm it works with all file types including DSD.

I guess I'm one of the first people with a Geek Wave S. I show a pic with the iPhone connected but I need it to snap the picture. I just need to figure out a way to hide the battery and cables in something to make it a more elegant solution.

I also wonder if Larry could give us a custom firmware so the GO 450 doesn't draw as much power and doesn't create the warning. I know it wouldn't output 450mw but I don't need it for my DT1350s.

The only complaint I have is with the volume. My understanding is that to have bit perfect output you need the volume from the iPhone set to max. If you do this you need to very careful that you have lowered the volume on the GO or it will output at full volume and you will blow out your ears/cans. I'm not sure if there is a solution but it would be nice if when the GO is plugged in it would defeat the iPhone volume and set the GO volume very low and you could adjust it to your setting.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #675 of 1,658

The only complaint I have is with the volume. My understanding is that to have bit perfect output you need the volume from the iPhone set to max. If you do this you need to very careful that you have lowered the volume on the GO or it will output at full volume and you will blow out your ears/cans. I'm not sure if there is a solution but it would be nice if when the GO is plugged in it would defeat the iPhone volume and set the GO volume very low and you could adjust it to your setting.

I asked the question towards another member on this thread about the reset to max volume on the GO 450.  My ears are still ringing.  I haven't owned every portable USB/DAC combo, but this is the first product that behaves likes this regardless if it needs custom OS drivers or not.  I'm speaking to users that uses the HP out as some experience here indicates the GO is being used as a DAC only. Having a yellow piece of warning is fine and dandy, but not acceptable if the product (including drivers), resets its volume to max with no way of saving a safe listening level to start from.  My guess for the GO volume behavior is written in the Windows drivers.  Hopefully, a driver update remedies this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back