Light Harmonic GEEK
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #361 of 1,658
someone on LH Labs has received the unit, but he could not get the driver to work, so no impression yet...

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #365 of 1,658
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #366 of 1,658
Quote: Anthony S
 Installed the driver and am giving it a test run as I type. This is truly a magnificent little device. The sound is crisp and very alive. I listen to chillout/chillstep music typically, some very experimental sounding music. Currently I'm listening to Gravity by ChouChou and it's like being transported to another space entirely. The music envelops the entire headphone space, the bass is rich, the mids are present but not overpowering, the treble is perfect and crisp, everything works together evenly to create a rich atmosphere of sonic goodness.

The only thing I'd have concern about is the heat, when plugged in this can get rather hot. If it's elevated on a cooler surface that helps tremendously. Testing out 'Moon City' by Atlum Schema next. I've been using FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files. Extreme clarity. As a producer myself this will be interesting to use. Might test out my song 'People Will Do People Things' and see how that sounds through the GeekOut as well. It's like hearing with new ears. I've been using an X-Fi GoPro HD for quite awhile because my headphone jack died, there was a lot to be desired but it allowed me basic listening.

The GeekOut is immersive and intense. Be careful though, mind the warning in the package about volume. The Super Duper Geek will blast you out of your chair if you make a mistake with it. I pushed one of the buttons on the side of the device and the volume lunged in intensity. Well worth the wait. I'm glad the driver issue was resolved in a timely manner also.

Edit: Listening to my track currently and it definitely emphasizes all that I put into it as far as detail goes. Nothing gets lost in the mix, just flows steadily. The bass is quite rich and expanding. When the kick hits it's as if it moves outwards, something I didn't notice or couldn't notice with my former setup.

Here's an early first impression from one of the LHLabs forum members. Enjoy everyone!

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #367 of 1,658
Oh wow, those are some amazing first impressions. I can't wait to receive mine!! Any impressions on the 3D awesomifier though?

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #369 of 1,658
From Larry:

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. rankmod.gif
  4. OFFLINE
  5. Karma: 32  
Geek Out and Geek Pulse will share the same driver!
384K/32 bit...

And one more thing: next week, I will start working on DSD256 with that driver.

Cheers,

Larry

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #370 of 1,658
Do we receive a tracking number when the Geek Out ship?
I have been checking my email for this.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #374 of 1,658
I think it's more on the ability of handling 'future' formats.

And having DSD256 can't wait to do some upsamples and hear If there's a difference..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back