Light Harmonic GEEK
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,111 of 1,658
I'd say the Geek Out does a good job against the Hugo in terms of sound quality. I forgot the idiom that relates to this, gave them a good run for their money? Something like that. XD

good to know.

off topic, but i just have to say that the hifiman connectors are just butt ugly...whatever you think about the aesthetics of the headphones, those connectors make it worse. i wish he had chosen some other connectors...sigh. nice setup, btw!

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #1,112 of 1,658
I'd say the Geek Out does a good job against the Hugo in terms of sound quality. I forgot the idiom that relates to this, gave them a good run for their money? Something like that. XD

good to know.

off topic, but i just have to say that the hifiman connectors are just butt ugly...whatever you think about the aesthetics of the headphones, those connectors make it worse. i wish he had chosen some other connectors...sigh. nice setup, btw!

Yeah no I totally agree with you on the connectors. This is actually a HE-560 demo unit and it came with a broken cable due to its delicacy. Fortunately a replacement cable made its way though.

The Hugo is part of a demo with the Noble Audio lineup, so I'll post some impressions on the Geek Out and Hugo with some of their lineup and whether or not I can hear the background hiss on the GO with them.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,113 of 1,658
Mice, is it a GO100?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,115 of 1,658
Mice, is it a GO100?

That's the GO 450.

[rule]Yup, it looks like the Kaiser 10 and Noble 4 demo earphones can pick up the noise on the GO 450 and GO 1000. The Chord Hugo isn't immune from background hiss either it seems, even on battery power.

That's another +1 to the JDS Labs C5 or C5D if you need a quiet amp/DAC for sensitive earphones.

....I still seem to be the only person who has WiFi problems when using the Geek Out. >.>
Sometimes when the GO is plugged in to my MacBook Pro, the WiFi is pretty much unusable and the ping values vary between one hundred and a few thousand milliseconds. If the GO is attached to the Slacker Mini, sometimes I can move it around and the ping rates will magically drop back to normal levels (~32 to 50 ms). This happens with any of my GO units.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,116 of 1,658
So how is the SQ of GO450/1000?

You will be writing your review/impression in relation to other stuffs (Hugo, C5D, E7)?

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,117 of 1,658
So how is the SQ of GO450/1000?

You will be writing your review/impression in relation to other stuffs (Hugo, C5D, E7)?

Between the two, they sound identical to me, which is what Larry intended.

When I write my review of the Geek Out, whenever I get the time to do so and I want to wait until they update the firmware for the Windows drivers, I probably won't go into detail about the Hugo since it's a demo unit with the Noble Audio lineup. Ironically, I personally wouldn't recommend either for sensitive earphones or Noble's CIEMs since both the Hugo and the Geek Out have background hiss that kind of really annoys me when I'm listening to music.

From what I hear with them and the touring HE-560 unit though, the GO does an admirable job in the sound quality department compared to the Hugo. The Hugo on the other hand has pretty much every standard unbalanced input/output connection one would need, and some nice additions with the myriad of LEDs in it (there's probably around two dozen in there for different volume/sampling/crossfeed indicators...).

Regarding the sound quality though, the Hugo still has the edge for sure overall. The imaging and instrument separation are far better with the Hugo, having a very black background between each instrument (if you can call it that). The Hugo also has a smoother and flatter frequency response in my opinion compared to the GO. The GO seems to have a slight upper-midrange/lower-treble harshness and a slight bump in the bass area somewhere. From what I personally have at hand, the ODAC/O2 was my reference DAC/amp combo. The GO has some characteristics that I like more than it, but they have slightly different sounds from one another and I still like the ODAC/O2 with some headphone pairings. The Hugo, to me, has some characteristics of both the ODAC/O2 (bass response, instrument separation, fairly clear frequency response) and GO in terms of sound, but it's more similar to the GO (smoother sound, more rounded soundstage, better imaging, more natural-sounding).

For sensitive earphones and CIEMs, I personally recommend the C5D for everyday music since it has zero background hiss. It doesn't play anything above 24/96 though, so that's a limitation. It is ready to use with Andoid and iOS 7 devices though, out of the box.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #1,121 of 1,658

nothing they do surprises or puzzles me anymore...

case in point - the GO 720 is up for sale at a certain shan't be named site...and it will be around $100 less than i paid for it via the IGG campaign. awesome. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,122 of 1,658
There is quite few Geek Out  up for sale here and mine is likely to join those if the new firmware doesn't materialise soon. It is a shame as I feel the unit has some potential but I can't help to feel the design was rushed and there was definitely very poor testing protocols as all the mentioned issues should have been easily spotted.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,123 of 1,658
I wouldn't even sell mine....how would you sell something that has the potential to damage hearing or phones? Mine still sits collecting dust with the hopes that one day I will at least be able to use it.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,124 of 1,658
I have the same guilty feeling about selling mine. I am surprised LH Labs got away so lightly about selling what is in the end a broken and dangerous device.
Small boutique sale volume might explain it as just one  lawsuit for hearing damage would probably sink the firm.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,125 of 1,658
I hope this volume issue is sorted out. For me as a Mac user using Audirvana+ it is a non-issue as I never adjust volume on the GO itself. The fact that the Apple TV remote also world means that I can also control the volume from further away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back