Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Apr 30, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3,376 of 5,933
Couldn't believe Gavin admitting they had been tempted to dress up an android to call it their own.

But then you would have had a player presumably delivered much faster with all the excellent Android features such as streaming music services. I mean, a lot more people probably would have been satisfied with a Q3 2015 release of a solid sounding player like that could have been. As the saying goes, "a DAP in the hand beats", well, the nonexistent one we have now.

Truthfully though, it seems they were woefully behind on the hardware and had done almost nothing with this project until the end of last year, so I doubt the OS-type stuff is really responsible for most of the delay.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,377 of 5,933

Seems like Larry is making the Wave a priority and one day it'll have some design features that are suitable for a modern release to compete with some of the new DAPs. Too bad he can't disassociate himself from Gavin. His word is like lint. But he'll hang around to take half the credit if this thing ever flies.
cool.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #3,378 of 5,933
My AK Killer....

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3,379 of 5,933
I have no concerns about how good it will sound. The thing that worries me is quality control/reliability. Having followed the Pulse thread, it's hard not to.

I don't know if anybody can speak to this, but is the way Larry is separating the power for the various parts/functions of the device unusual or is this SOP for daps?

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,380 of 5,933
I was wondering the same thing. The video makes the whole thing seem incredibly complex, but I don't know how it compares to the innards, say, of a Fiio or AK DAP. But it does seem complex, maybe cause reliability problems? All conjecture, of course...

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,381 of 5,933
I think that was the point of the video, to make it seem very complex. I'm not sure about other daps, I've seen pictures of the insides of a few, but I'm not an expert. Either way, the more complex, the more likely to have issues. I really hope it works out for you guys. In the end if it sounds like promised, you will all be in for a treat. I just hope they finish it soon... Otherwise with all of those parts that are easy to upgrade, you may receive the dap, and send it back in a month for an upgrade.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #3,382 of 5,933
It's a LONG ways from finished. :frowning2:  It looks inevitable they will run into multiple showstopper issues from where they are now, which will delay this well into 2017.  Get ready for the excuses about why this project can't be completed in a reasonable time frame...

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,383 of 5,933
I wouldn't guess how long, but it does seem it's not going to be done any time soon.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #3,385 of 5,933
Based on what I saw in the video I'm thinking it'll be late May or early June when we see the next update about a working prototype unit. Chances are high that there will be issues getting everything to play nicely with the first build. The chassis is still being built, the EP3 board is being built, and the software isn't complete. That's a lot of failure points and I'm expecting there will have to be some quick fixes to get everything working before an update.

May 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #3,387 of 5,933
It's hard to trust these guys promises because when they break it they just say sorry with no real repercussions.

On the other hand if apologies were coupled with tangible things like free upgrades...

I don't really think LH Labs would offer any free upgrades at this point.  It is more likely that they will be offering paid upgrades - new chips, new functions, new whatever that (they claim) will significantly improve the sound / functionality.  Backers of lower end models may be forced to upgrade to higher end models later (see Geek Wave 32 to 64 forced "upgrade").  Right now, I am genuinely worried if I would ever receive the Geek Wave, as I am very concerned if the funds collected in the campaign would run out during the R&D process.  This could mean that they might be left with no choice but to find new ways to secure more funds - like releasing yet another new product to raise more funds, or try to convince existing backers to pledge a bit more (see the recent Vibrato "free gift" offer)..

The current situation is very frustrating.  On the one hand, I simply wish that they could deliver Geek Wave as soon as possible.  It seems to me that by the time Geek Wave is released (if it would ever be released), the spec would be out-of-date, and better DAP choices would already be available at the same or even lower price.  On the other hand, I am also concerned if LH Labs rush to complete the Geek Wave project, there would be quality control / hardware / software issues (see the issues of Geek Pulse).  And we have absolutely no idea if the Geek Wave would sound good at all - it might be no better than a cheap Fiio or iBasso DAP ^.

I am honestly tired of waiting for Geek Wave, as I did hold off upgrading my DAP several times, in hopes of receiving the Geek Wave some time in late 2015 / in 2016.  I am not going to wait anymore, and I will proceed to buy a new DAP later this month.  I bet we would all not be receiving the Geek Wave in 2016.  And we should consider ourselves lucky if we would receive in 2017 (I bet they cannot finish shipping the Geek Wave to all backers until 2018 - if they would ever ship it).  This may sound very pessimistic, but I have learnt to set my expectations very low after months and months of delay.  If I continue to follow the sporadic updates closely and believe the vague delivery promises, I would only get more frustrated.  So the only way out is for me to accept that the Geek Wave is a lost cause.

Perhaps a company should be praised for its marketing prowess that has successfully deceived a lot of people, raising a lot of funds in the process.  I, however, see this a very pathetic and depressing situation.

(^ Remarks: This comment does not mean that lower priced Fiio or iBasso DAPs sound bad at all.  I personally also own several Fiio DAPs and owned several Ibasso DAPs, and am quite satisfied with them.  It is just that Geek Wave is purported to be "a no-compromise portable music player" - if it cannot even compete with an introductory level of DAPs, then is it worth the asking price?  Would we have all been better off buying a Fiio X1/3/5/7 or iBasso DX50/80/90/100 instead of waiting eternally for the Geek Wave?)

May 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,388 of 5,933
I'm waiting on a TOTL Wave. In the interim I have had iPods, the X3, and the DX90, and, finally, the Pono, which I crowd funded about the same time as the Wave. I've really enjoyed using the Pono, think it is the best sounding of the ones I've had experience with, and it has made the Wave waiting much easier.
Just sayin'

May 1, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #3,389 of 5,933
Understand the concerns and share many of the frustrations, but the V2+ sounds really good, and that's a good portion of what the Wave is built upon. Cheers

May 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,390 of 5,933
It's hard to trust these guys promises because when they break it they just say sorry with no real repercussions.

On the other hand if apologies were coupled with tangible things like free upgrades...

In a perfect world... Not to mention, do you really want them adding any additional anythings to this project? More they add, the more likely it will take longer. It's an unfortunate situation, but hopefully they don't run into any additional problems, or make any further revisions so the backers can receive their dap before the end of the decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back