Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 26, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #2,131 of 5,933
That's very interesting. The Verbs do have a smell of the alibaba deal. Maybe not an outright scam but definitely very very similar.

I think they were hustled by an unscrupulous OEM, but we'll probably never know.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2,133 of 5,933
I'm guessing something similar, they were had by the Chinese company supplying the iem. I'm also guessing they had no recourse against that company, could not get them to remunerate them or take them back. At that point, admitting they are not what LH Labs had promised would put LH Labs liable for the headphones, a cost they might not have been able to absorb. Of course, this is all guessing, I have no clue if it is true. But, I'm sure LH Labs, which prides itself on presenting the best sound, creates TOTL/SOTA gear, would NEVER want to be in the position of marketing inferior sounding gear, and this is the only scenario that makes sense to me (there are probably others, but I haven't come up with them yet).

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,134 of 5,933
I'm guessing something similar, they were had by the Chinese company supplying the iem. I'm also guessing they had no recourse against that company, could not get them to remunerate them or take them back. At that point, admitting they are not what LH Labs had promised would put LH Labs liable for the headphones, a kids they might not have been able to absorb. Of course, this is all guessing, I have no clue if it is true. But, I'm sure LH Labs, which prides itself on presenting the best sound, creates TOTL/SOTA gear, would NEVER want to be in the position of marketing inferior sounding gear, and this is the only scenario that makes sense to me (there are probably others, but I haven't come up with them yet).

Let's just call it a big swing and a miss, and hope they make things right when their revision comes out.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,135 of 5,933
Let's just call it a big swing and a miss, and hope they make things right when their revision comes out.

It's not the swing and miss that is the problem. It is the refusal to admit there was anything wrong and the continued silence that is the problem.

So now we know if they screw up they won't admit it, they won't do anything about it, and they won't say anything about it.

That's what has shaken my confidence the most.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #2,136 of 5,933
It's not the swing and miss that is the problem. It is the refusal to admit there was anything wrong and the continued silence that is the problem.

So now we know if they screw up they won't admit it, they won't do anything about it, and they won't say anything about it.

That's what has shaken my confidence the most.

+1 on that.

A Verb customer had sent back a production unit which sounded like crap as 99% have reported and LHL responded that the unit sounded exactly as intended. So either they were victimized or had poor taste. Which is it? Can't be both.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #2,137 of 5,933
+1 on that.

A Verb customer had sent back a production unit which sounded like crap as 99% have reported and LHL responded that the unit sounded exactly as intended. So either they were victimized or had poor taste. Which is it? Can't be both.

Valid points. When the X comes out, they should post a mea culpa and send one to original Verb backers for free.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,138 of 5,933

Valid points. When the X comes out, they should post a mea culpa and send one to original Verb backers ​

that would be nice.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #2,139 of 5,933
Not holding my breath, though...

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,140 of 5,933
I really don't understand the major delay with the Verb-X.  It's easy for us to say they had to go back to the drawing board to get a great (well, at least good) sounding balanced earphone, but the reality is there are lots and lots of very, very good IEMs available right now that are very affordable.  Just check out the Head fi thread on Chinese/Asian products in the Portable Headphone forums for lots of examples.  I realize that the existing earphones out there are not all balanced, but this seems to have more to do with wiring of the drivers and not the development of the IEM....  As LH Labs demonstrated with the Verb, the development and manufacturing of the Verb-X will undoubtedly be outsourced to another company; I don't think LH Labs are actively designing the Verb X (except for maybe what the shell will look like).  Maybe they invested all our funding for the Verbs and Verb-X into the same company that came out with the Verb, and they are trying to figure out how to recover from the financial loss.  But I just don't think that coming up with a very good (and very affordable) balanced IEM should take this long...  Given C Hartwell's demeanor in previous posts on Head fi, I won't be expecting a mea culpa from LH Labs anytime soon, but I would like to have some reasonable response from them as to when the Verb-X will be available.  Maybe LH Labs should take a cue from LEAR Audio; LEAR also had a crowd funding drive to build IEMs.  These LEARs IEMs will be a novel attempt to simulate a natural stereo sound.  The crowd funding ended in March 2015 and based on current progress, their IEMs are projected to be delivered by September 2015 (or perhaps sooner...).  Now of course I have no idea what the LEAR earphones will sound like and I certainly can't guarantee that I will be listening to them in September, but at least I have received well-intentioned updates from LEAR as to when to expect to receive them....  We paid for the Verb-X back in December or January and we still have no idea what is really going on with them....  In my opinion, it's past time for C Hartwell to quit skating around the issue and at least provide an honest update....  

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,141 of 5,933
  I really don't understand the major delay with the Verb-X.  It's easy for us to say they had to go back to the drawing board to get a great (well, at least good) sounding balanced earphone, but the reality is there are lots and lots of very, very good IEMs available right now that are very affordable.  Just check out the Head fi thread on Chinese/Asian products in the Portable Headphone forums for lots of examples.  I realize that the existing earphones out there are not all balanced, but this seems to have more to do with wiring of the drivers and not the development of the IEM....  As LH Labs demonstrated with the Verb, the development and manufacturing of the Verb-X will undoubtedly be outsourced to another company; I don't think LH Labs are actively designing the Verb X (except for maybe what the shell will look like).  Maybe they invested all our funding for the Verbs and Verb-X into the same company that came out with the Verb, and they are trying to figure out how to recover from the financial loss.  But I just don't think that coming up with a very good (and very affordable) balanced IEM should take this long...  Given C Hartwell's demeanor in previous posts on Head fi, I won't be expecting a mea culpa from LH Labs anytime soon, but I would like to have some reasonable response from them as to when the Verb-X will be available.  Maybe LH Labs should take a cue from LEAR Audio; LEAR also had a crowd funding drive to build IEMs.  These LEARs IEMs will be a novel attempt to simulate a natural stereo sound.  The crowd funding ended in March 2015 and based on current progress, their IEMs are projected to be delivered by September 2015 (or perhaps sooner...).  Now of course I have no idea what the LEAR earphones will sound like and I certainly can't guarantee that I will be listening to them in September, but at least I have received well-intentioned updates from LEAR as to when to expect to receive them....  We paid for the Verb-X back in December or January and we still have no idea what is really going on with them....  In my opinion, it's past time for C Hartwell to quit skating around the issue and at least provide an honest update....  

Then I would suggest you contact LH Labs directly with your concerns.  Ranting here isn't going to address your issue.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,144 of 5,933
Anyone here back the Geek Stream? I know that product died, but are those of us who backed the stream ever going to get anything?
I am worried that the answer is NO

As far as I know the Stream became the V2+. So yes, you should receive something and likely sooner rather than later. 

http://lhlabs.com/force/geek-stream/4137-so-is-v2-the-same-as-the-stream

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,145 of 5,933
Geek Stream = Geek Out V2+

If you backed the Geek Stream during the IGG campaign and didn't upgrade to the Geek Wave, you'll be receiving the V2+ Infinity within the next few weeks.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back