Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jan 31, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,186 of 5,933
Are the original backers not competent enough or the right people to test the product in which they placed their trust and money?

Let me assume one is serious about testing a product. Then you define the 1) range of users by a) age or b) experience, 2) the range of genres listened to as each genre has its own UI demands and 3) use environments or envelopes and cross tabulate them to find at least one person in each cell as a minimum, (actually 5 or more is actually statistically more reliable as the one person in a cell could in fact simple be a maverick user whose responses are not useful vis a vis the general population.)

So let’s say
  • the users of Geek wave are likely to be
    • By age
      • Teenagers and college students
      • Twenties young and upwardly mobile
      • Middle class and well-established
      • Older experienced or retired
    • By experience
      • New mobile DAC/DAP users
      • Relatively inexperienced users who have owned just one DAP before
      • Experienced users of multiple different DAP but non-audiophile users
      • Experienced users of multiple different DAP Audiophile users

• Then in terms of genres of music which each have their own UI demands:
    • General Popular music including Rock, Pop, etc (usually defined groupings by one band or singer, one particular album, and various songs or numbers)
    • Jazz (usually defined by one performer or band plus an album and various songs or numbers, may or may not need to be performed in order)
    • Serious or classical music (usually defined by composer, sometimes by performer with items usually grouped and performed in an invariable order) (one can also make a larger category of composers griped by genre but this is problematic as many overlap genres or periods)

• Grouping in terms of use environment or envelope
    • On the go in subways or air travellers, etc. (environmental noise, movement distractions, have to carry in pocket or pouch etc)
    • Use in more static stable home environments, maybe study, garden or bed ( few distractions more continuous uninterrupted listening experience

• Use in public environments like office hospitals etc ( noise distractions and interrupted listening experiences to deal with other matters)

• As a DAC delivery tool to a freestanding audio system or attached to computer or notebook etc.

It seems to me you would need a lot more than a random bunch of folk grabbing a big discount to adequately test the Geek Wave UI and usability.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #1,188 of 5,933
  Anyone interested in a pre-production (first in line) version of the Wave jump on over to IGG as there are only 11 of the 20 units still available. 

Warning, this is an even higher beta-activity than a typical LHL investment, but should be lots of fun for the brave souls willing to jump even deeper into the guts of the machine. 

Cheers 

PS - Yes, I'm one of the crazies who took the leap...

Which model did you get? Looking forward to impressions! 

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,189 of 5,933
Just the 64. Already have an Ultimate Signature version on order.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,190 of 5,933
I also have an ultimate. But I can't justify buying another just to try out. Even if I don't like it, I'm stuck with my ultimate. No refunds. I'll trust your guys opinions.

Side note. I still haven't gotten my survey or that bonus credit for spending money on last 48hrs or something. Did anyone else get that credit?

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,191 of 5,933
Figure I'll give the 64 to someone in my family or use it in my car. Cheers

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,192 of 5,933
Well if the end product is as incredibly good as Larry and team intend/promised to be, I will buy it at retail. I m a consumer, not a fan nor hater of any brand. My dissatisfaction with how this whole funding campaign/delay/changing perks/confusion galore etc won't affect how the geek wave sound. And if indeed it sound to me better than anything I have/available in the market, at a price I'm willing to pay, I will buy. Tho honesty I'm not too optimistic about it.

OTOH I refuse to pay any thing and upgrade any "perks" before I can listen the the finished production model. For me, the wave32 sounded a good idea and nice deal AT THE TIME and this I went for it. I had also many experiences backing KS or Indigo projects (soft or hardware or publications) but this certainly is the worst experience I had with regards to how far the product shifted from the initial funding to the actual product.

@kkcc I echo your frustration. The Wave 32 sounded like a particularly good idea to me and also had that warm feeling that in addition to satisfying my desire for 'audiophile' sound I'll also be helping a product off the ground. But lack of updates so late into the campaign (6 months with not much to show) and protracted delays have led me to lose hope too. I certainly don't feel like upgrading my pledge. If LHLabs really wants to do it all to get what their backers want, they should deliver the Wave 32 as promised - they sold heaps of those (around 600?) - and not just expect us to upgrade because they can't work something out with their memory vendor. At least an honest admission on the status would appease most of our worries. They ought to remember that they have our money which is indeed helping them.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,193 of 5,933
It was supposed to be in London today, but it was not . Apparently the distributors didn't receive any on time. Also I was really not impressed with the GO100 they had on display . Hardware buttons did not work to control volume and it sounded kinda harsh and unrefined. Hugo Chord on the other hand...

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,194 of 5,933
It was supposed to be in London today, but it was not . Apparently the distributors didn't receive any on time. Also I was really not impressed with the GO100 they had on display . Hardware buttons did not work to control volume and it sounded kinda harsh and unrefined. Hugo Chord on the other hand...

The GO 100 probably had firmware v1.5 on it which removed the volume control from the hardware. Volume is controlled from the computer, and the buttons on the GO are used for the digital filters now.

This firmware change is not new, and someone there should have been able to explain that to you if asked.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,195 of 5,933
The GO 100 probably had firmware v1.5 on it which removed the volume control from the hardware. Volume is controlled from the computer, and the buttons on the GO are used for the digital filters now.

This firmware change is not new, and someone there should have been able to explain that to you if asked.

In that case I was either not given the go 100 to try or it is still too powerful for iems. Comfortable level for me was below 5% on the players volume control. Seriously on 30% it was crazy loud at 10% just about bearable and normal listening levels at 5%. The guy there tried to reduce the vol from the go instead of the computer initially. So not sure he was aware either

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,196 of 5,933
In that case I was either not given the go 100 to try or it is still too powerful for iems. Comfortable level for me was below 5% on the players volume control. Seriously on 30% it was crazy loud at 10% just about bearable and normal listening levels at 5%. The guy there tried to reduce the vol from the go instead of the computer initially. So not sure he was aware either

What color was the GO? The 100 is only available in black if I remember correctly. The model number is listed on the bottom of the unit on the legend for the lights.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,198 of 5,933
Jan 31, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,200 of 5,933
I'm quite interested but details are too vague though.

Is the hardware, circuit board design, and chassis is exactly the same as the retail version? No changes except firmware fixes which can easily be fixed via updates?

And does this come with 2 micro sd slots and jitter free wifi and Bluetooth, all the features advertised for the retail unit?

And when is the shipping date specifically?

I certainly expect that the board and chassis will be final preproduction release candidates. Feedback from the beta group might lead to changes in the board and/or case. The firmware will almost certainly undergo several updates in the beta phase.

As for the micro SD slots... There are NO micro SD slots in the Wave. However... there will be two SDXC (full size card) slots. This makes expansion memory cheaper and of greater capacity.

When are they shipping? We would all love to know this. Gavin has mentioned being in the retail chain by the end of July, so I figure that means the beta units will ship in September. :)

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back