Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #496 of 5,933
It's a big roll of the dice - I'm just hoping that I don't forget that I paid for it. Against my better judgment, I got the XD128 with the IEM tweak (that should just be standard, from the get-go).
This will come in slightly north of $1k...if it competes with the AK240s and Ms of the world, I'll be more than happy. Back to a long, long holding pattern with my J3...I heard the AK100II
recently and was not at all blown away by the sound (though it is dead sexy). I was kind of thinking that I should wait to see how the X7 turns out, but I think these guys will make good
on this thing in the end. LFF heard a prototype of the Wave and basically said it knocked his socks off, so there is reason to have optimism in my book.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #497 of 5,933

Really? 2 things you probably never heard and one that doesn't yet exist. Brilliant. Throwing digs at established respected posters because they raise legitimate questions? Me thinks you're in on the promotion and have become extremely biased to you upcoming purchase. There's a lot of marketing in their promotion and some of the upgrades have likely been added to keep the ball rolling. The basic 128 looks like a very nice player for the money. I love the storage and topology but until we hear one with an interface that's easy to use, it's just a nice story.

Really?  meh, yes some concerns are warranted. The hypocrisy in calling the Wave a "milking" device form one who purchased a $2500 DAP is undeniable, I think the extreme bias here may be for your mate, whom I have shared a few PM's with and he provided sound(duck...pun)
tongue_smile.gif
advice.  I do have my own reservations concerning the Wave, I admittedly voiced the gamble proposition in backing a yet to be finalized device.  No bias on my part.  Agreed, their is a lot of marketing in this hobby we enjoy.  but I digress.

It all comes down to execution, hopefully, for all the backers involved it will be a positive experience.  It could be a flop.  My expectations are low on delivery time, but I found peace with that before I sent them my $$$.

Cheers

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #500 of 5,933
All companies milk us one way or the other...AK milks us with new models one after another, Hifiman milks us with accesories (dock, amp card, etc.)
This company milks us with ideas and hopes...
Its still a buyer's market if we dont rush to purchase dap as soon as it comes out...

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #503 of 5,933
All companies milk us one way or the other...AK milks us with new models one after another, Hifiman milks us with accesories (dock, amp card, etc.)
This company milks us with ideas and hopes...
Its still a buyer's market if we dont rush to purchase dap as soon as it comes out...

Yeah, but if you pay them you get it next week or next month instead of next year or even more.
popcorn.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #504 of 5,933
Here's what Larry had to say about the IEM perk (more info in actual post):

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekwave/1384-more-on-iems.html#21934

"Sorry that the answer is not easy. And when our design is evolving, more reality will reveal.
Conclusion: Geek Wave with IEM package will make sure then background noise keeps at minimum even when connect via USB. Geek Wave without IEM package should work still very well, but the final performance will be revealed after the final design has been settled."

I've got a two IEM's (108dB/mW - 8 ohms and 117dB/mW - 32 ohms) that I use with my Geek Out 720 run through a desktop and connected to probably the nosiest power ever (American living in Europe, everything runs through a 220v to 110v transformer). I have no hiss or background noise whatsoever (a little is present when the 3d awesomeifier is enabled, which isn't a featured on the Wave). Granted the Wave will be different than the Out, but I will not be spending the extra money based on with what Larry says and my experience with the Out.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #505 of 5,933
So basically if you're using the Geek Wave as a USB DAC/amp, then the IEM perk would be the most useful there to reduce any potential noise coming from the USB line. Good to know.

Also, apparently the DAD upgrade gets a Class A amplifier architecture. Were I to use this in my pocket as a true portable media player, I wouldn't want a burning hole in it, literally (that's like leaving your iPhone at maximum brightness with the camera on, and that gets very uncomfortable in a pocket). I'm kind of glad I didn't get that. The GO 450 already gets hotter than what I would want to hold.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #508 of 5,933
  Well, more new perks...

Now a 1W 'boost' signature edition perk for XD128 backers. (Also comes with your choice of Carbon Fibre / Titanium finishes)

I'll pass on that - they have enough of my money already. Time for them to get their butts in gear and start fabricating. I'm a bit miffed by the celebratory attitude on the campaign site - they haven't built or delivered anything yet, but they're ready for a victory lap.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #509 of 5,933
I'll pass on that - they have enough of my money already. Time for them to get their butts in gear and start fabricating. I'm a bit miffed by the celebratory attitude on the campaign site - they haven't built or delivered anything yet, but they're ready for a victory lap.

Well since your got the IEM perk and it's gain switch, I would have thought this 1W perk make more sense for you? I see this as a more useful/substantial perk than say the THD or IEM (for 32/64 models). And as a percentage of total cost it is most "absorbable" for maxed XD backers.... maybe they should add a ultimate battery perk to go with this :wink:

And the celebration is not hard to understand. I would be celebrating if I just raised a million without even anything close to a product! Guaranteed profit for any company deserve a victory lap!

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #510 of 5,933
Well since your got the IEM perk and it's gain switch, I would have thought this 1W perk make more sense for you? I see this as a more useful/substantial perk than say the THD or IEM (for 32/64 models). And as a percentage of total cost it is most "absorbable" for maxed XD backers.... maybe they should add a ultimate battery perk to go with this
wink.gif

And the celebration is not hard to understand. I would be celebrating if I just raised a million without even anything close to a product! Guaranteed profit for any company deserve a victory lap!

It's just too much money at this point (for me anyways). I think it'll drive my Mad Dogs fine as it is and I mainly use iems, so I'm sure I'll be able to live without it. Besides, the XD already is coming with an aircraft-grade aluminum (I think) case. I wonder if the carbon fiber case option will see any problems a la Roxanne (I've seen some ugly Roxanne CF cases, never mind the CIEMs which are understandably hard to make well). I don't really think it's guaranteed profit - they have to deliver on their commitment or LH will go the way of the buffalo - I find it hard to imagine that anybody would give them any business in the future if they screw the backers. The pressure is clearly on them and I think they will realize this once the buzz wears off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back