Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Dec 6, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3,766 of 5,933
True. It'll probably take time to get them all out but if they finally keep to a schedule, that'll be a pretty significant change from past behavior.

I don't see a difference to earlier schedule announcements where they mentioned production /shipping target dates.
So far none has been achieved.
And I doubt this time it will be different. Why should it be? Because of the input they receive from "senior project managers who are also backers"?

Anyone of them reading this and can share the milestones? Of course I would like to see the complete project plan but this one would definitely not be shared I assume.

****storm will continue once backers won't get the perk they backed for the Wave. I'm really keen with what proposal Larry's coming up with regarding minimizing the variations.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #3,767 of 5,933
Yeah, I really hope that the minimize the versions.  Having an N x M matrix of options is a cluster*uck.  

I'd like them to reach a compromise where they drop the variant count down by an order of magnitude. For example, I hope that they simply have all the Wave64s have BT and Wifi, even though people could choose to have one, or the other... or neither.  

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #3,768 of 5,933
Think that will be a possibility. Since BT and WiFi are integrated in the SOM.

It seems this is the SOM board (the DUAL version):

http://www.variscite.com/company/newsroom/item/353-var-som-dual-news-release

http://www.variscite.com/products/system-on-module-som/cortex-a9/var-som-solo-cpu-nxp-imx6

- Good take on the double stacked SD. So no more daughter card (?).
- Good take also for moving the m.2 slot on the SOM side for better access. Was thinking suggesting to them to move it parallel to the battery for a possible 2280 but I think this is better (Double stacked SD, no daughter board, easy service/upgrade).

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,771 of 5,933
@Hercules I think its not it.....look at mine...and look at the image on IGG

Edit: updated the link and pic..

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #3,775 of 5,933
  Ive just remembered I almost went into GeekWave wagon. Any idea when it will be released?

I'm sure there are some Geek Wave optimists still alive, and the most recent delivery date that Larry Ho has declared is sometime in Q1 2017, BUT there is still no sign of a truly independent, fully functioning prototype of a Geek Wave yet....so, need I say more?

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,776 of 5,933
  I'm sure there are some Geek Wave optimists still alive, and the most recent delivery date that Larry Ho has declared is sometime in Q1 2017, BUT there is still no sign of a truly independent, fully functioning prototype of a Geek Wave yet....so, need I say more?

Thanks! thats bad news!
I jumped into Pulse DAC Xfi and LPS, got skeptical and annoyed when they announced the Wave without delivering a singled unit of Pulse. Almost pulled the trigger =/ 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #3,777 of 5,933
Direct to say, The SOM using on GeekWave is outdated 2 year on now, both cpu and memory.
Even it have a slot can be change another SOM on GeekWave, I don’t think we can find another new and powerful SOM can be using on GeekWave.

It’s ONLY Dual core 1Ghz Contex-A9 and max 1G DDR3 ram

Gone back to 4 months ago Geek Wave EP Board, The SOM size space, It can insert a Qual core SOM, but the new PCB, it no chance to do that, because  PCB for SOM space is too small.

4 months ago Geek Wave EP Board PIC:
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1470436486/g26oaeabldnpirjhvtbs.jpg

Now Geek Wave EP Board PIC:
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1480992013/mbpwyjhvilv74qn2qecd.jpg

Also, seem at SOM Vendor page
http://www.variscite.com/company/newsroom

And other hand,
Geek Source Qual core Contex-A9 SOM board released at Sept-2014, Geek Wave SOM Dual Core SOM board released at March-2015,with-in 6 months total Three products on this series. But! From March-2015, over 20 months NO ANY new products for this series. I think This SOM series maybe will end of support in near future.

SOM on Geek Wave, I just think it a Replaceable Parts, Not Upgrade-able Parts.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #3,778 of 5,933
If the SOM that they use is capable enough to do the job, is this a concern?  It may hamper system upgradeability in the future. maybe to accommodate additional formats, but I will be very happy to get a wave that does what it is supposed to do, and does it well, when I receive it.
I am not worry about future proof (a ridiculous term in any case). I just want good today. Even if the SOM is two years old, if the implementation is good and functionality is good. and I actually get something for my money, I can deal with that. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,779 of 5,933
^ deathson w/o doing any corroboration, if well researched, this seems like an unfortunately well deduced post.

Anyone who's ever thought to upgrade an old PC knows this struggle. For me, the SOM was pretty much bottom of the list in anticipated features in the general hope that technology I purchase would be timely and with reasonable longevity. For those who were excited, it's likely to become another painful dissapointment of an overly long development cycle.

Staying ahead of technology is a losing battle. Though there's sort of an elegant irony here.

If the SOM that they use is capable enough to do the job, is this a concern?  It may hamper system upgradeability in the future. maybe to accommodate additional formats, but I will be very happy to get a wave that does what it is supposed to do, and does it well, when I receive it.
I am not worry about future proof (a ridiculous term in any case). I just want good today. Even if the SOM is two years old, if the implementation is good and functionality is good. and I actually get something for my money, I can deal with that. 

Agreed. The main issue being that it ends up being just a waste of time and resources.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,780 of 5,933

But this a Big problem on Geek Wave IGG campaign, LHLab launched 2 upgrade perk for WAVE 128, DAD Perks and Boost Perks, Both perks is "upgraded cpu power".
Now it's no longer to realize both perks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back