Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 12, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,236 of 5,933
They've been working on the UI for awhile, so I'd venture to guess that they do have something that is functional.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,237 of 5,933
  They've been working on the UI for awhile, so I'd venture to guess that they do have something that is functional.

The analog amplification and DAC portions have been in prototype for quite a while, and now that the technology from the V2 and V2+ are appearing to be used for the Wave there's a good deal of the Wave that is already done/in process. The recent picture of the screen and the progress noted on the UI show even more being done. Still a ways to go of course, but seems to be good progress IMO. 

I'm also glad to see that the technology from the V2/V2+ is being used in the Wave so that it has the latest and greatest of Larry & team's thinking. 

Cheers 

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,238 of 5,933

An eternal optimist! Always a positive counterpoint. I see very little reason for your optimism, but there certainly is a part of me that hopes you are right.

It is hard though when I have yet to see anything for my thousands of dollars that they hold. Two things I actually have received from them were not made by them. The super crappy IEMs and the HE 560.

Yes, quite difficult for me to maintain any level of optimism.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,239 of 5,933

An eternal optimist! Always a positive counterpoint. I see very little reason for your optimism, but there certainly is a part of me that hopes you are right.

It is hard though when I have yet to see anything for my thousands of dollars that they hold. Two things I actually have received from them were not made by them. The super crappy IEMs and the HE 560.

Same here. I have zero confidence in anything new by LH Labs. Of course they can restore my confidence with an industry-leading new Wave
wink_face.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,240 of 5,933

Optimistic? Guilty as charged. Blind optimism? Nope. 

I've heard the Wave prototype digital and analog boards (the old versions) and they sounded great. The V2 sounded awesome as well. And I also have the Pulse X Infinity and LPS and they're awesome - a point of view I've heard repeated by pretty much everyone here who has received their Infinity. Finally I know Larry and Gavin and Casey, and they're good people. So my optimism is supported by some real life experiences. I know that not everyone has these experiences, and that is understandable, but I will operate off of the data I have. Oh, and regarding the Verbs, I totally agree they're, um, less than ideal. 

Cheers

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,241 of 5,933
Sounds like to me that LH Labs still does not even have a basic (like Geek Wave 64) functioning prototype yet...  I mean one that can be turned on and all by ITSELF convert an MP3 file into listenable audio.....  And it has been a year since the basic Indigogo campaign ended.....OOOOF! 

Yes it looks like they have a prototype of the source they intend to cut down for the wave and for amp section they are just gonna recyle the geek out v2...

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,242 of 5,933
I guess if you haven't received anything LH yet, harder to be patient. But, I've read many complaints about the crowd funding, firmware, technical glitches, but nobody complains about the sound quality (leaving the Verbs out here), mostly there are raves. I have the Geek Out Special Edition, bests sine very well regarded dac/amps in my system. Gives me some more patience. Sure, I'd like my stuff tomorrow, but I also want them to GET IT RIGHT! I'll wait a bit for that.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,243 of 5,933
Couldn't have put it better Dr, I am usually patient with crowd funding as I do it a lot but have to admit that the LHLabs folks knocked it out of the park when it comes to sound. My Xfi has been trouble free after the latest update and loving it, simply outstanding on its own and operates perfectly when hooked up to my speaker amps or headphone amps. The poor Geek Out 1000 is being used on my beater PC occasionally and I daresay it holds its own.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,244 of 5,933
That is my hope - the reviews of their newest stuff is chubb-worthy. I'm confident the Wave will follow suit, but the UI is anybody's guess.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,245 of 5,933
  That is my hope - the reviews of their newest stuff is chubb-worthy. I'm confident the Wave will follow suit, but the UI is anybody's guess.

Extra points awarded for using the phrase "chubb-worthy"!!! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2,247 of 5,933
I'm worried about the UI but then again, the OS is minimalist so a minimalist interface might not be a bad idea. Just the file details, album art and controls.

If it sounds awesome, I can live with that. I was hoping for something like Astell&Kern's UI, as it's supposed to be the ultimate DAP and all, but I'd rather have something better sounding with a lesser UI. I'm pretty confident that will be what we get.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #2,248 of 5,933
Sure, I'd like my stuff tomorrow, but I also want them to GET IT RIGHT! I'll wait a bit for that.

My thoughts exactly. I'm fine waiting a little longer, as long as they deliver a product worth waiting for. I also prefer a slick and simple UI.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #2,249 of 5,933
Yes it looks like they have a prototype of the source they intend to cut down for the wave and for amp section they are just gonna recyle the geek out v2...

I think you have made my point; they still don't appear to have a functioning prototype of a basic DAP.  They can claim to have this piece and that piece, but it doesn't sound like to me that they have an independent functioning music player yet....  Of course, if C Hartwell wants to claim otherwise, then maybe they'll share a few photos of the existing prototype....  Just a thought...

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #2,250 of 5,933
I'm worried about the UI but then again, the OS is minimalist so a minimalist interface might not be a bad idea. Just the file details, album art and controls.

My thoughts exactly. I'm fine waiting a little longer, as long as they deliver a product worth waiting for. I also prefer a slick and simple UI.

Point taken and yes to both comments, what's killing in this situation is to only have drawing representation and no UI screen shots of their current progress at all. What I think is happening which we won't necessarily hear are beta testers used under the cover putting a few off their laboratory line samples to pace. They are hoping by using the laws of stats and the sample population (beta testers) that they would hit UI nirvana for the masses. If I was them, I'd flash some screen shots here and there and wait for reactions but then they are not me.

I think you have made my point; they still don't appear to have a functioning prototype of a basic DAP. They can claim to have this piece and that piece, but it doesn't sound like to me that they have an independent functioning music player yet.... Of course, if C Hartwell wants to claim otherwise, then maybe they'll share a few photos of the existing prototype.... Just a thought...

I would not make such large untested claims unless you work for the company and you know what transpire inside, you've got absolutely no clues as to what they or don't have. For what it's worth, what you said is just pure speculations. But to your last point, they have Kayla's capable hands holding the device. It could all be smoke and mirrors. What you could have said is there is no Waves until we see some photos of one but with audible devices, there are no Waves until we hear one. Keep your speculations coming it's truly entertaining. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back