Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #211 of 5,933
And they (LHlabs) are thinking to incorporate a Wifi/Airplay module.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #212 of 5,933
Put me down for the XD256+IEM+THD+DAD package
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #213 of 5,933
DAD upgrade just solded out..

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #214 of 5,933
  New Update!

So mine is now XD + DAD + IEM + THD 

ksc75smile.gif

I'm really happy with these updates to the X and XD with IEM package... I'm sure it would have already been a TOTL player, but this just reassures my purchase of the XD128 with IEM package.
smily_headphones1.gif
   Based on what I have read about the Geek Out, I'm hoping for even bigger things from the Geek Wave.  I hope Currawong has a chance to add this to his dap off one it is released.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #218 of 5,933
Question to those smarter than I. Why does it cost an extra $38 for USB dac capabilities?  Its something Fiio and iBasso are adding to their DAPs free of charge.  Its something that I do want but wondering why it has to be paid for.  Serious question. Is there hardware that is needed that justifies the extra cost because its done through firmware updates for the other two companies.  Thank you.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #219 of 5,933
  Question to those smarter than I. Why does it cost an extra $38 for USB dac capabilities?  Its something Fiio and iBasso are adding to their DAPs free of charge.  Its something that I do want but wondering why it has to be paid for.  Serious question. Is there hardware that is needed that justifies the extra cost because its done through firmware updates for the other two companies.  Thank you.

Without USB DAC functionality, the USB connection on the Wave will do nothing other than charge the device and sync files. It doesn't have any access to the DAC portion of the player at all. So they'd have to add connections to allow data to move into the DAC to be used with a PC. Does it cost $38 for those parts and labor? Possibly.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #220 of 5,933

Without USB DAC functionality, the USB connection on the Wave will do nothing other than charge the device and sync files. It doesn't have any access to the DAC portion of the player at all. So they'd have to add connections to allow data to move into the DAC to be used with a PC. Does it cost $38 for those parts and labor? Possibly.

Ic ic.  So the iBasso and Fiio DAPs probably already had those "connections" in there and only had to update firmware later on.  Understood.  Thank you.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #221 of 5,933

Ic ic.  So the iBasso and Fiio DAPs probably already had those "connections" in there and only had to update firmware later on.  Understood.  Thank you.

Yep, they probably planned on it being a possibility from the start. Having the same components in all devices reduces the cost to get the parts since you can buy in bigger bulk shipments. I personally think it'd be an oversight *not* to include that functionality on all devices to simplify the manufacturing process and reduce production cost. That's why I found it a tad strange that LH Labs was only offering the DAC option on the X and XD at launch. And now it's an optional add-on, so they're just increasing the number of build combinations they have to make instead of simplifying.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #223 of 5,933
  Put me down for the XD256+IEM+THD+DAD package
biggrin.gif

It started with a $399 device...

- add $1 for the X128 version
- add $370 for the XD128 version
- add $128 for the IEM upgrade
- add $168 for the THD upgrade
- add $258 for the DAD upgrade
- add $350 for the graphene supercapacitor upgrade

This is now a $1,322 portable music player.

This little toy should sound a lot better than the Pulse X at twice the price.  The last item is not real but it is coming out next!  Joke only, of course :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #225 of 5,933

It started with a $399 device...

- add $1 for the X128 version
- add $370 for the XD128 version
- add $128 for the IEM upgrade
- add $168 for the THD upgrade
- add $258 for the DAD upgrade
- add $350 for the graphene supercapacitor upgrade

This is now a $1,322 portable music player.

This little toy should sound a lot better than the Pulse X at twice the price.  The last item is not real but it is coming out next!  Joke only, of course :)

Too funny, but yeah.  I have pledged for all but that last one....so far
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back