Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,238 of 2,322
I thought you could set fixed volume in JRiver and use it as line out...

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,239 of 2,322
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,240 of 2,322

No, there is no line-out on the GO.

Incorrect. The 47 Ohm output is used for line-out connections to amps/active speakers as well as larger cans.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,242 of 2,322
I use it line out to external amps, avoid the volume issues with Windows/GO that way (and sounds really great using LC or ZOTL).

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #2,245 of 2,322
That's good to know! I'm looking to sale my Mojo as for the price the DAC isn't up-to-par. 

Are the GO1000's reliable in terms of longevity?

Interesting, the Mojo is FOTM, better than Mother's milk! I did hear it paired with sine A&K as a transport at a meet last week, thought the pair was pretty good sounding. Do have my GO Special Edition for a while now, no problems with it (have an extra GO 1K, not used since I got the SE, might be willing to part with it...)

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,248 of 2,322
Have the GO Special Edition (an upgraded 1K) since the first ones shipped, no major problems, but has some of the annoyance issues noted previously in this thread (volume tends to reset to max...I mostly use it line out with an external amp, MicroZOTL2, both to avoid this, and because it sounds better), and very sensitive to loose PC connection (typically, change headphones, get slight tug and the GO looses the connection, have to sometimes reboot to regain connection). Again, the external amp eliminates this. Think it sounds great as a dac!

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,250 of 2,322

I was a relatively early Kickstarter backer, I've had the GO1000 for close to 2 years now, never any problems with it.

As another post mentioned, the V2 definitely has some additional functionality in terms of both 100 and 1000mW outputs, and balanced outputs, should you want or need that.

However I vastly prefer the all-metal chassis of the original, I feel it must dissipate heat better than the V2, despite the LHL claims that the plastic chassis of the V2 has some sort of specially designed airflow characteristics. I don't buy that, at least not in terms of being superior to the V1, rather, it was cheaper to produce in plastic (with vent holes trumped as a special airflow design).

Even a venturi type of effect probably doesn't beat the heat dissipation characteristics of a nice metal chassis, which is itself a heat sink made of a material that is more efficient at dissipation than any plastic. Moot point though, there are no venturi tubes in the V2.

My GO1000 is used as a line level DAC feeding a separate pre/head amp in a bedroom system, so it was left on continuously for about 18 months straight. Even when the computer was off, the GO1000 stayed powered up as it was connected via the iFI iUSBPower which remained on at all times.

To enhance the heat sinking effect of the metal chassis, I put two copper playing dice on top of the unit to allow for even greater heat dissipation. Try that with plastic!

Ok so it won't be practical in any mobile/movable environment, but in a static desktop set-up it works very well.

Your GO 1000 sounds like your rolled a lucky 7 but the picture shows snake eyes?  I would  put the snake  eyes facing the GO1000 to provide the best contact service with it for maximum heat transfer.  :
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I could help myself but I agree 100% the aluminum case of the original GO far exceeds the 3D plastic case of the v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back