Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,266 of 2,322
Am I imagining things or is driver 3.26 a downgrade SQ wise? Smoother but less detailed and dynamic? Just got a new computer and had to reinstall.
I've not noticed a difference between 2.23, 2.29 and 3.26. It is also excessively difficult to do a matched comparison given the time lag between installations, so any observations should be taken with a grain of salt.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,267 of 2,322
  Am I imagining things or is driver 3.26 a downgrade SQ wise? Smoother but less detailed and dynamic? Just got a new computer and had to reinstall.

Yes, agree on it. IMO its teeny weeny softer, lesser grit / dynamics. But its more stable too. 

So more music, or less teeny weeny bit a better music? Had opted the former.

May 3, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #2,268 of 2,322
Open the cover of my new windows 10 laptop with the headphones plugged into the geekout and it came on at full blast. Scary and I hope I didn't suffer any long term damage.

This seems like the kind of oversight by LH that could elicit a lawsuit.

In fact, 24 hours later, they still hurt.

May 3, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #2,269 of 2,322
One of the reasons I generally use it line or into an amp (makes it less portable, though).

May 3, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,270 of 2,322
Open the cover of my new windows 10 laptop with the headphones plugged into the geekout and it came on at full blast. Scary and I hope I didn't suffer any long term damage.

This seems like the kind of oversight by LH that could elicit a lawsuit.

In fact, 24 hours later, they still hurt.

If I remember right 100% is the default for any newly connected USB audio device that does not have volume controls on Windows.

The Geek Out has no say in the matter.

May 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,272 of 2,322

This wasn't my first time using it, just my first time starting it up from standby (or hibernate?) with iems in.

When bringing Windows out of hibernate, I think it has to re-establish/reset the USB connections, which puts all of the settings back to default.

May 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,273 of 2,322

When bringing Windows out of hibernate, I think it has to re-establish/reset the USB connections, which puts all of the settings back to default.

This is what happened to me on multiple occasions. Which is why I sold it and don't recommend anyone to buy it.

May 3, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,274 of 2,322
Think the DAC on my Geek Out Special Edition (souped up GO 1K) is great...use it line out into MicroZOTL2 or Liquid Carbon, makes a great computer system. Hated using it straight out of the computer without an amp for the same reasons (also sounds better with the external amps).

May 3, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,275 of 2,322

This is what happened to me on multiple occasions. Which is why I sold it and don't recommend anyone to buy it.

Good call, I would get rid of Windows too if I hadn't switched to Mac years ago.

May 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,276 of 2,322
So, it happened again. Hasn't happened in a long time. Something got unset in settings, I can't find what, and now all the music sounds distorted, like a rebirth played with a big ball of dust stuck to the stylus. Using PC/LH labs 2g UPS cable, Geek Out Special Edition. Can't find what settings have changed themselves. Any ideas?

May 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,277 of 2,322
So, it happened again. Hasn't happened in a long time. Something got unset in settings, I can't find what, and now all the music sounds distorted, like a rebirth played with a big ball of dust stuck to the stylus. Using PC/LH labs 2g UPS cable, Geek Out Special Edition. Can't find what settings have changed themselves. Any ideas?

Maybe something changed in your player settings?

If all else fails, try uninstalling the driver, rebooting the computer, & re-installing the driver. That should reset everything.

May 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,278 of 2,322
Thanks for replying, I rebooted a few times, didn't help, then disconnected and reconnected the Geek Out and it was fine.don't get out, but that's what happened. Life in the digital age...I like discs.

May 9, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,279 of 2,322
Thanks for replying, I rebooted a few times, didn't help, then disconnected and reconnected the Geek Out and it was fine.don't get out, but that's what happened. Life in the digital age...I like discs.

Check the cable to connector solder joints in your entire signal path.  You may have a bad solder joint that only shows up occasionally.

May 9, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,280 of 2,322

Check the cable to connector solder joints in your entire signal path.  You may have a bad solder joint that only shows up occasionally.

Ok, use LH labs 2G usb/Regen/Geek out special Edition. It looked like disconnecting and reconnecting the GO from the Regen was what solved it. I connect it directly, no cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back