Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,231 of 2,322

• Did such a glaring problem escape them? If it did, then they failed to test their product properly, which they might not have if they hadn't been working on other products already. If it didn't, then they chose to send out the product anyway, not mentioning the bug, hoping it would be overlooked. Either way, I'm not impressed.
  • Their programmer couldn't work on the GO firmware; he was too busy working on the prototype Geek Pulse and prototype Geek Wave ... unless LH chose to crowdfund those products without any idea of what the firmware would be, in which case they really jumped the gun.

With Larry's comments about the ESS9018K2M I wouldn't be surprised if they uncovered a bug in the silicon. If that is the case then solving the problem can become quite complicated, the manufacturer needs to identify the issue, file an errata sheet and workaround. Not uncommon with firmware design and breaking new ground and can be challenging to solve and uncover the root cause... Usually if the issue is in the low level drivers it can be fixed quite quickly.

Keenly following the issue as I'm interested in the GO1000.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,233 of 2,322
  The Lord giveth and he taketh away ....

Well.... I do not like it! lol, I really do love the Awesomefier with the ZMF X Vibro. Do i have to update?  if I do not then I will probably wait for you guys to to report back on the FW and if it made a difference with sq(which I already think is top notch for price) and then go from there.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,234 of 2,322
Well Guys the email for the new firmware is here, just received it in the email for the link for the support page. Anyone gone ahead and install it yet?

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,236 of 2,322
  I've been listening to mine all day (perk of the job) and it sounds FANTASTIC! 

I am a little hesitant because I am not experiencing any problems with mine so far, and the update removes the ability to use awesomefier, which I use quite often and love it. What is your take on that?

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,237 of 2,322
  I am a little hesitant because I am not experiencing any problems with mine so far, and the update removes the ability to use awesomefier, which I use quite often and love it. What is your take on that?

The main reason we decided to "eliminate" the awesomefier is due in part to the requests of the Geek Force.  They felt is was bit lacking so we decided to up the ante a bit and offer TCM & FRM instead.  

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,238 of 2,322
Okay so the volume up and down buttons will grant one access to using these new options with the GO1000?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,239 of 2,322
NEW FIRMWARE IS OUT!

Link to supoort page: http://lhlabs.com/support.html

Firmware Version 1.5 B1: http://lhlabs.com/downloads/Geek_Out_Firware_1V5.bin.zip

Tutorial (Windows): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLfQclI-oU

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,240 of 2,322

The main reason we decided to "eliminate" the awesomefier is due in part to the requests of the Geek Force.  They felt is was bit lacking so we decided to up the ante a bit and offer TCM & FRM instead.  I 

I downloaded the firmware while we were talking, and I wanted to know if you explain to me what the TCM and FRM do for someone that does not know much about these kind of things?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,243 of 2,322
Oct 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,245 of 2,322
  I downloaded the firmware while we were talking, and I wanted to know if you explain to me what the TCM and FRM do for someone that does not know much about these kind of things?

Direct from Larry

Now with the new 1V5 firmware, your Geek Out has a feature that could change the mode of digital filter and related PLL/ Frequency domain - time domain optimization. One mode we call it "Time Coherent Mode" (TCM), the other mode we call it "Frequency Response Mode" (FRM).... And we assigned the original "Volume up" buttons for TCM and "Volume Down" for FRM. The sound characters demonstrated are quite amazing. In TCM, we involved the new developed Minimum phase digital filter which creates no "pre-ring". In FRM, we involved slow roll-off linear digital filter with other frequency domain optimization so you could even see a nice THD+N improvement there.

This new TCM and FRM involved some CPU power so we have to take it from 3D Awesomifier. So 3D Awesomifier is no longer supported in this new firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back